Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Full fibre coming to Greater Manchester by 2021  (Read 1801 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Full fibre coming to Greater Manchester by 2021
« on: August 25, 2019, 12:31:37 PM »

Multi-million pound broadband plan to give Greater Manchester 'best digital infrastructure in UK' by 2021
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/multi-million-pound-broadband-plan-16806230

A multi-million plan to introduce a super-fast broadband network will give Greater Manchester the 'best digital infrastructure in the UK' by 2021, bosses say.

The combined authority has successfully bid for more than £23 million from the government to create a local full fibre network linking across the ten boroughs.

I've not seen this mentioned yet in the usual places. I think officially the document is going to be released in September. But I happened to stumble across this article the other day via my local news website Here.

From what I can tell there is dark fibre coming from Huddersfield, and I assume its going to connect to the Manchester dark fibre. I know CityFibre also have Oldham in their sights. I live in a town (Shaw) on the outer edges of Oldham facing Huddersfield. I've noticed previously on the roadwork updates put out by the local councillor that there as been FTTP listed jobs on Huddersfield Road, Newhey and Delph areas, and also oddly enough in the centre of Oldham too. This was CityFibre. I've noticed there as been a lot of BT poles being replaced around the area too. This town also has a big VM presense, and I'm sure the area between Royton and Shaw might be part of the lightning project as there as been 20+ on-going VM jobs in a small location. I noticed if I click on the bundle option of VM it says I can get the M500 package (with TV, Phone and Mobile). So the bar is high in this area.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Full fibre coming to Greater Manchester by 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »

Pardon me if I’m reading it wrong, but the local newspaper article seems to suggest that this is actually all about connecting public utility sites, council offices, traffic lights, police and fire stations, etc?  That would suggest to me that it need only focus on the commercial and industrial areas of town, rather than private dwellings.

Even so it would be a noble goal, but not as noble as the headline might suggest, imho.   It would be easy to read it and assume that it was describing an FTTP service for the population at large, by 2021.

Multi-million pound broadband plan to give Greater Manchester 'best digital infrastructure in UK' by 2021

Carl’s link mentions there is a ‘hope’ it might subsequently enable other operators to start offering fibre to local homes.  But would that actually be expected to happen, or even start to happen, by the headline date of 2021?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »

I think the case to install fibre networks is going to be mainly based on connecting businesses at first and then building out from there. So its the first stage. I know CityFibre have plans to make Oldham one of their towns to connect people, and so far they have connected both businesses and residential (via Vodafone). It would be a wasted opportunity if they bypassed all the residential properties.

But saying that, we don't really know the criteria they use to target residential places. I'm seeing this as a first step.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »

Looks like a subsidised metro network along the lines of CityFibre.

Makes FTTP to residential properties a bit easier but that still requires spending a bunch more than a metro network costs and takes a lot longer.

As far as wasted opportunities go see https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,23755.0.html

There are plenty of metro networks in the UK. They cover the centres of towns and cities and only connect premises on demand. To build a Toby to each property preemptively as is required for a residential deployment hugely increases time and costs.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 09:00:33 PM »

I’m also a little unclear about the benefit of fibre to, for example, traffic lights.   Communication is needed, but wouldn’t a few kbps suffice?

I am however aware of one possibility offered by such technology in London, where the local authority can install high resolution cctv at yellow box junctions, whereby remote operators can track and zoom in on individuals, as if in a video game.   Unlike red light and speed cameras, for which still images suffice, they seem to need manually record video for evidence at yellow boxes, and I should imagine, decent data rates.

Heavy fines can then be posted to motorists for the slightest of misjudgements.  And how many of us can claim we never, ever, misjudge a yellow box, even if just overlapping by a foot or so?    In London, it’s a £60 fine every time, if the camera operator is looking your way.

I also recall hearing that the fines bring in quite a lot of revenue, and that authorities outside London are asking for similar empowerment... ::)