Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does FTTC have to be LLU, so your phone moves as well?  (Read 1786 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Does FTTC have to be LLU, so your phone moves as well?
« on: August 24, 2019, 07:10:08 PM »

This is something I had not thought about. My son was pestered by our grandson to get FTTC so he contacted EE who provide his internet currently and agrred to go FTTC, however they did not explain he was moving his phone from BT! So it all got cancelled because BT refused to release the line. Now can anyone explain any technical reason why FTTC requires the phone to move as well? After all the physical line is the same, why move phone service?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Does FTTC have to be LLU, so your phone moves as well?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 07:22:51 PM »

Most big ISP's don't sell FTTC without the line rental also coming from them.

EE don't do FTTC broadband without also taking the landline with them.

Taking the landline from 1 provider and broadband from another is becoming much less common.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 07:25:11 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 01:50:20 AM »

Most big ISP's don't sell FTTC without the line rental also coming from them.

EE don't do FTTC broadband without also taking the landline with them.

Taking the landline from 1 provider and broadband from another is becoming much less common.

I wonder how many people are losing out on BT Basic due to this.

You can stay on BT Basic if you have the broadband provided by someone else other than BT.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 07:10:40 AM »

So basically this is a marketing thing not technical. EE fell down spectacularly by not explaining this requirement to my son when he spoke with them! I must admit that is what I thought.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

ccarmock

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »

Definitely marketing - there is no technical reason why you have to take phone line & FTTC from the same provider.
PlusNet for example have broadband only pricing listed on their website for the situation where your phone line is with a different provider.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 11:42:43 AM »

Their products, their rules.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 08:52:48 AM »

While were on the subject, another interesting thing about BT Basic is they say if you get a second phone line you will no longer be eligible.

This is not technically true, so long as the second line is NOT with BT Retail (eg you have the phone provided by an ISP), it will not impact BT Basic at all.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 02:44:43 AM »

I believe BT basic is subsidised by BT for those on low income or certain benefits.

It's aim is to provide a minimal and basic service for those who would have difficulty affording telephony service.   For years it couldn't have any broadband at all, then they brought out the basic with something like a 2GB limit which I think has now been increased to something like 15GB - again the aim is to provide a basic service for say job hunting/emails.

There aren't many ISPs that will provide DSL over a BTbasic line if you want anything other than the BTr adsl2+ with the cap.    Plusnet is one that does, but you pay a premium for broadband only.     I looked at this several years ago for an elderly customer who had a BT basic line..  however I was extremely concerned that they would go over what was then the 2GB limit as they'd just got a new Smart TV.   In the end it was almost as cheap to put them on a standard PN account and not having to worry about any limits.  I checked their usage a couple of months later and was satisfied that I had done the correct thing because they would have exceeded the limit. 

At the end of the day most of the profit for ISPs is in the telephone line whilst there is little profit in dsl.   Most ISPs subsidise the dsl from land line rental when providing a package.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker