Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Have to give a massive shout out to Sky/Openreach today  (Read 1812 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Have to give a massive shout out to Sky/Openreach today
« on: August 28, 2019, 05:58:41 PM »

So, my father has been suffering with a line that has a lot of crackling on it, and various engineers have been out over the years and never been able to fully fix the issue.

The latest visit for example, new faceplate was installed, engineer called it done. Fast forward a few weeks and my dad's been complaining a lot about disconnections, so I went up to see him today (he lives an hour away) and took my bag full of routers/modems in case it wasn't the line.

Picked the phone up, noise is present, clear as day. At this juncture it is obvious I now need to call Sky and escalate the problem. Thinking I'd be in for a battle, I explain the predicament and the lady at Sky could even hear the noise on the line as I was talking to her. Could see we'd raised faults before, and insisted that this time she would escalate it as a repeat fault to Openreach and it would be taken care of. Fair enough, figured it would be a few days and we'd just have to wait.

2 hours later an OpenReach engineer has arrived, heard the noise, and established there was indeed fault, and it was 27m away. The distance from the socket in the house to the telegraph pole in the street is about that distance, so, picks up his tools, gets the van to the rear of the house and sets about investigating the pole. Sure enough, we pop out the back garden to see what's going on and he's already recrimped the telephone line with gel-filled crimps (clearly never been done before - the house is probably 175-200 years old, so who knows what was used to terminate all the telephone lines together) and says line is clear as day from up here! Seems water ingress had corroded it before, as there were no gels used to crimp/terminate the line.

Sure enough, I ask him nicely if he could do a DLM reset for us because the resulting disconnections over the previous weeks have caused the sync to nosedive, and is more than happy to do so, sync is now the full 55/10. He managed to fix something that has been an issue for many years.

So, big shout out to Sky for their prompt escalation, and I cannot fault the response from Openreach, line is now stable and my father is ecstatic. I'm pleased, he's in his late 70's and uses the internet an awful lot, so I'm glad this has (finally) been nailed!
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Have to give a massive shout out to Sky/Openreach today
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 08:33:19 PM »

I imagine the engineer would appreciate you completing the Openreach ‘Thank an Engineer’ form

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 10:11:10 PM »

Thank you! I have done just that.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 10:36:00 PM »

I imagine the engineer would appreciate you completing the Openreach ‘Thank an Engineer’ form

I’d think twice and read the privacy policy before submitting that form.   Scroll down, small print, link at bottom right...

Example of many reasons not to submit...
We’ll use your personal information to send you direct marketing and to better identify products and services that interest you.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 10:51:29 PM »

There are actually two links to two different privacy policies. The first one is that of Openreach. The second one, to which you refer, is that of the BT Group.

Scroll down, small print, link at bottom right...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:54:20 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 11:08:57 PM »

There are actually two links to two different privacy policies. The first one is that of Openreach. The second one, to which you refer, is that of the BT Group.

You’re right, clicking ‘send form’  appears to adhere you to the onerous (lack of) privacy terms of both BT and their Openreach division. :(

Thank you for emphasising that point.  :)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 10:36:11 AM »

Too late :(

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 10:45:47 AM »

Never mind, I’m sure the engineer will be grateful. :)

I’d be interested to hear whether you do get any spam or junk mail as a result.