Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: G.fast - Band Plan changes?  (Read 7560 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: G.fast - Band Plan changes?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 11:52:53 AM »

Had to power down the modem for a few hours a couple of days ago while reorganising some stuff, and when I reconnected in the evening I had a crazy attainable of just over 400 Mbps:

Code: [Select]
xdslctl info --stats
xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    1
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 65611 Kbps, Downstream rate = 401360 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 49967 Kbps, Downstream rate = 329035 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   G.fast Annex A
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        7.9             8.7
Attn(dB):        29.7            0.0
Pwr(dBm):        0.0             4.0

It's settled now, so mostly sitting in the high 390's. But I am pretty sure this change has made it so quite a few more properties locally would be almost guaranteed to be able to max out on the 330/50 package now.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

fat jez

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2019, 08:30:19 AM »

I think my cabinet has been done, since I had about 30 minutes downtime on the 2nd around 1am. When it came back, my upload had jumped a few Mbps, sitting at 48965, according to Zen’s customer portal. I have the Huawei modem, so I can’t say for sure whether this has happened. my download hasn’t changed at 303034.
Zen G.fast 330/50

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 05:40:01 AM »

Had to power down the modem for a few hours a couple of days ago while reorganising some stuff, and when I reconnected in the evening I had a crazy attainable of just over 400 Mbps:

Code: [Select]
xdslctl info --stats
xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    1
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 65611 Kbps, Downstream rate = 401360 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 49967 Kbps, Downstream rate = 329035 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   G.fast Annex A
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        7.9             8.7
Attn(dB):        29.7            0.0
Pwr(dBm):        0.0             4.0

It's settled now, so mostly sitting in the high 390's. But I am pretty sure this change has made it so quite a few more properties locally would be almost guaranteed to be able to max out on the 330/50 package now.

That crazy 400Mbps down and 65Mbps up. Do Openreach plan to have 400/65 product soon for your G.fast?  ;D ;D We only wish!

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 06:26:41 AM »

It's actually a real shame since VDSL in areas where vectoring is possible could have their spectrum reduced and vectoring enabled to have the same range of speeds while the G.fast start frequency could be reduced further. No overlapping necessary.

I'm probably grossly oversimplifying the situation because I cant remember vectoring densities and prerequisites, but G.fast doesn't need to die so young. It could be quite possible to do 550/75 Mbps at approx. 150m (which matches the FTTP package available from OR) if they could get the starting frequently to 15 MHz. I could probably achieve max. 450/75 at 200m with the same parameters.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »

It's actually a real shame since VDSL in areas where vectoring is possible could have their spectrum reduced and vectoring enabled to have the same range of speeds while the G.fast start frequency could be reduced further. No overlapping necessary.

I'm probably grossly oversimplifying the situation because I cant remember vectoring densities and prerequisites, but G.fast doesn't need to die so young. It could be quite possible to do 550/75 Mbps at approx. 150m (which matches the FTTP package available from OR) if they could get the starting frequently to 15 MHz. I could probably achieve max. 450/75 at 200m with the same parameters.

No, they'll never change it -330/50 and 160/not sure the upload - is what has been ratified and I doubt it'll ever change from that.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 02:13:25 AM »

No, they'll never change it -330/50 and 160/not sure the upload - is what has been ratified and I doubt it'll ever change from that.
I doubt that too. It was just more of a thought on how G.fast could make a bit more sense for an in-the-meantime solution especially since according to this ThinkBroadband article:
  • There are 8,330 pods
  • Those pods cover 3,312,664 premises
  • 1,978,816 premises total have G.fast available
I understand there may be some minor inaccuracies here and there, and it is a case where this is based on what they "know about" so there could be more premises and pods. But given those figures, ~60% of premises connected to a cabinet with a pod have the service available - though it is not clear whether this is based on old 100 Mbps or new 120 Mbps minimum; I think it still may be the former, so %'age may be even less - perhaps closer to 50%.

Being able to reduce the existing VDSL2 spectrum and have a lower start frequency for G.fast makes sense to increase the potential amount of properties that can get the service. Though there would still be challenges with subscriber densities (from what I remember, it is still 48 per pod with 96 being a target) which means it cannot be a long-term solution for everybody to have access. And there is the issue of existing VDSL hardware in some locations that cannot be vectored easily (ECI), or the case where there are multiple DSLAMs for the same PCP.

Perhaps it really doesn't make sense for expenses. But it doesn't need to - I just wanted to write a little bit about it. There are more premises that can get G.fast than ports on my cabinet - probably up to 3-4x as many premises as there are ports can get 120+ Mbps as there is anyway.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »

Oh, wasn't trying to rubbish it. I do think they could have been a bit more liberal with the offerings, same goes for plain old FTTC too.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 09:50:50 AM »

It's cool, I understand. The potential is not really exploited. Even OR FTTP is lacking symmetrical speeds (which is not really exploiting fibre), but hopefully "trials" should change that.

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 06:58:45 PM »

I wonder if there was another set of changes last night?

I had the re-sync on 22nd August in the early hours where I gained an extra 14mb ish (229713 to 244198) and that has been stable and no further resyncs until one in the early hours of this morning (1.52am to be precise) where my sync has now gone to 258217 and the upload from 35 to pretty much 40.

Anyone else get anything similar last night?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 05:15:25 AM »

Not seeing anything on my end. Doesn't imply no further changes, but it may be your local conditions have changed (perhaps interference has reduced or target SNRM has changed).

If any there are any noteworthy changes, I'll update it here when I become aware.

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »

Thanks for getting back to me. Sadly, I only have the Zen portal to rely on for sync changes and that doesn't have SNR or other info.

I will make use of my extra speed over the weekend though!
Pages: 1 [2]