Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Virgin Media.  (Read 7304 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Virgin Media.
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »

So why not ask the landlord and get their permission explaining the situation, you've said he's very approachable?
Yes will end up doing that once I have a bit more evidence.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »

Reading this I'm thinking WiFi congestion is a more likely culprit. Bet at least some of the extenders are running in mesh rather than AP mode, and the signal will be pretty poor performance anyway.

That the service seems to be basically symmetrical off peak suggests that that's all the capacity available via WiFi at that time, and congestion alongside other RF conditions break things at peak.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2019, 05:59:27 PM »

Yes I agree, see what I can sort out in the next few days when I go to see the tenant.

I have a spare TP Link AV600 power line Extender, I am testing it on my own network now with just using the TL-WPA4220 part of the extender kit (eg not using the base unit).
Plugging my LAN to one Ethernet port and I find it acts as a good Access point.

So what I will do for the tenant is to put it in there flat and plug in there wall Ethernet wall socket via a suitable patch cable.

Give them there own SSID network and own password, From where there flat is located this should give a good WiFi signal though out the building and will have there own personal network.  ;D
This unit has a spare Ethernet port as well.  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2019, 07:26:45 PM »

well they won't have their own personal "network".
they will have their own SSID, but still sharing all the bandwidth and conjestion that is already there.

in fact, adding yet another SSID may make it worse than it already is.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2019, 10:15:12 AM »

I was wondering about this ^   
As she moves through various locations in the house then obviously the signal is going to be better from various network devices and APs.   

There is the probability her phone could remain connected to one AP as opposed to reconnecting to the one in say in the lounge which could be giving her a better signal as most phones won't drop connection with one device until signal from the other becomes pretty low - regardless or not if one of the other network devices could be giving her a better signal.
I also pondered about the possibility that if when entering the property her phone automatically connects to the wifi on the tplink and that when she moves to her own 'personal space' then there is no guarantee that her phone will then automatically swap to using the wifi extender tickmike is thinking of installing for her if she still is getting a half decent connection from the tplink. 

Separate SSIDs will make it easier to [manually] switch between devices.   You may need to look at phone settings for signal tolerance before searching for a new device, or there may be an app that can give more control for automatically switching between various devices by adjusting levels to switch at and which access point to give priority to.

Thinking about this further, Mike said in an earlier post that there was already a wifi extender with a separate SSID then there is already the possibility that she could get a better wifi connection by forcing a manual switch to the other AP?   Without physically being there and seeing the layout and settings from the phone it's hard to advise.  There may be an app which could make things easier which iirc from previous posts was an iphone.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2019, 11:29:01 AM »

the whole system appears to be quite a mess and, to be honest, personnly i wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless the landlord/owner had given specific authorisation to try and fix it. any change you make may adversely affect someone else, and because you made the change you would be then responsible for fixing it.

my advice? leave it well alone and let the landlord pay for someone to come in and asses the requirements.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »

so what was the outcome of the visit?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2019, 10:17:05 PM »

Update .
not long got back.
Landlord away so Did not touch anything of the 'Mess' of the set up.

What I did do, Speed test on my phone app in the tenants flat = 0.34 Mbps Down and 16.5Mbps up  :o before I started.
Then plugged into a wall mains socket a spare TPLink AV600 power line Extender, plugged in the Ethernet patch cable from the wall socket into one Ethernet port on the bottom of the above device, plugged in another patch lead into the second port and then into the laptop.
Powered it up, checked on my phone app and the download had gone up to 22.7Mbps and up 17.9Mbps  ;D
also good speed check results down stairs.  ;D

I told the tenant that on there phone only to have this new SSID network for the WiFi.

I will give my recommendations as what the landlord could do to improve the set up to the tenant, the other five tenants are all moaning about the Poor WiFi in some parts of the property.

Looking under the stairs where the VM box and router is located is far worse than I suspected with metal step ladder type steps, a vacuum cleaner (metal) and a lot of junk in there ,not sure how any WiFi signal gets out.

fat jez

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2019, 11:56:13 AM »

I think you need to be advising the landlord to simplify things. It seems there’s a mess of WiFi networks going on when really you just want one network with one SSID. That should cut out interference problems.
Zen G.fast 330/50
Pages: 1 2 [3]