Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Virgin Media.  (Read 7317 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »

Hi

I am sorry, I am getting lost here

Are all flats served by the VM connection or is the vm connection dedicated to this flat

Double or treble nat should work lovely without causing slow downs (certainly not to the stated degree and as shown range 0 - 21 up I think from memory)

If all flats using vm connection, then you cannot put vm in modem mode or you will stop other flats

Many thanks

John

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 12:48:49 PM »

wasn't suggesting that double NAT would cause the speed issues, but it's not desirable.
it's likely there may even be 2 DHCP servers running on the network.

putting the hub into modem mode would have no affect on the other flats if they are already connecting via the tp-link router.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »

Hi

Many thanks

My impression was the tp link was dedicated to that flat and not all flats but could be wrong sorry

Many thanks

John

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 02:58:20 PM »

Sorry me not explaining enough, For all the flats there is only One VM internet connection.

The TP Link Archer C5 router and the TPLink WiFi Extender in the living room is also for all the flats.

I know the gateway address for the TP Link Archer C5 router is 192.168.0.1 as that is what I used to access it in a web browser.
Would that suggest the VM box is in modem mode as you can not have both with 192.168.0.1   !
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »

do you mean the IP address of the TP-Link is 192.168.0.1 or the gateway is 192.168.0.1
they are not the same thing.

if the VM hub is in modem mode then then you wouldn't be seeing VM WIFI SSIDs, unless you are seeing a neighbouring VM WIFI network.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 03:24:42 PM »

do you mean the IP address of the TP-Link is 192.168.0.1 or the gateway is 192.168.0.1
they are not the same thing.

Well when I was in a Teamviewer session I looked at the tenants laptop Ip address and I think it was 192.168.0.135
Gateway 192.168.0.1
DNS  192.168.0.1

so I used 192.168.0.1 to get to the Archer C5 Routers stats, I did not have time to try to look at the VM box stats (will next week)
if the VM hub is in modem mode then then you wouldn't be seeing VM WIFI SSIDs, unless you are seeing a neighbouring VM WIFI network.
Good point .
But looking at the signal strength would say not.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 03:35:37 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 05:25:05 PM »

Looking at  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Media

Looks like the connection could use Bandwidth throttling  :(

But if the landlord has a Business package then I believe that does not use Bandwidth throttling.

Photo under the stairs equipment.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 05:42:43 PM »

virgin don't bandwidth throttle anything, be it home or business

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »

the photo doesn't tell us much really, other than that's an old virgin hub (it's not the latest version).
you need to be there to see exactly what is configured, and how.

however, the location for the WIFI AP is very poor (ie in a cupboard).
it's no wonder WIFI range is rubbish.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 06:10:25 PM »

Other members of the household don't need to be there, their computers will happily continue downloading or uploading without them there ;)

Not sure on the early virgin hubs, but the hub 3 has a purple light on the bottom when in modern mode. The login details should be on the bottom of it, I doubt they've been charged.

Put the hub in modem mode, and turn off WiFi on the TP and connect via cable then you can speed test safe in the knowledge no one else is connected, provided you've disconnected all other network cables.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:12:43 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 07:08:32 PM »

actually the best method is to put the hub in modem mode then connect your laptop direct to the hub, then do a speedtest.
that tests the actual line without the TP-Link being involved.

then you see if the line is fine without any other hardware getting in the way.

also worth remebering that when in modem mode only 1 of the ethernet ports will work.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:12:03 PM by chenks »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 01:36:25 AM »

If I do the above checks and get found out then the tenant could be asked to leave, awkward  :'(

I forgot to ask, in my photo what is that white box tucked at the back of the water pipes, looks like it has the USB type power lead to it, also has a green led near the floor (as seen in another photo).
Could it be an Ethernet switch ?.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 01:45:56 AM by tickmike »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2019, 07:09:53 AM »

Can't see it properly but it looks not too dissimilar to my Hive Hub which controls my heating/lighting.   
Mine is a v2 and needs to be attached directly to the router and has what looks like exactly the same USB power lead to plug.   I doubt a landlord would go to the trouble though of fitting smart heating?

Actually I've just pulled my hub out.  I turned it upside down and stood it on its end....  it does indeed look like a v2 Hive Hub that she has there.   
You can't see the logo in that photo because it's wedged behind the pipe, but if you moved it slightly to the right..  there would be an upside down hive printed on the box.   It threw me slightly because that hub is upside down and stood on its backend. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 07:24:05 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »

If I do the above checks and get found out then the tenant could be asked to leave, awkward  :'(

So why not ask the landlord and get their permission explaining the situation, you've said he's very approachable?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »

Can't see it properly but it looks not too dissimilar to my Hive Hub which controls my heating/lighting.
Thank you, 10 out of 10  looking at another photo from a different angle your are correct, as I can see the 'Hi' bit of the word.
I doubt a landlord would go to the trouble though of fitting smart heating?
This place is more like a Luxury apartment and yes I do believe that what it has.
Pages: 1 [2] 3