Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Virgin Media.  (Read 7239 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Virgin Media.
« on: August 21, 2019, 02:44:12 PM »

Do I remember that VirginMedia has had/got problems with there internet networks in parts of the country ?, I am trying to help someone who has just moved in to a flat in Colchester area, a speed test with 'Ookla' last night was max 2.5 Mbps Down 0 up :(, just now was 27 Mbps down 21 up. at about 2pm
A file down load varied between 7Kbps to 1200Kbps at around 20.30 last night.  :o
The landlord supplies the internet connection and believes it to be very good.  :'(

What can this person do ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »

who is the account holder? the tenant or the landlord?
if it's the landlord then the tenant can't do anything really as virgin won't speak to them.

the local cab/area might be conjested which would explain the varying speeds. or there might be a fault on the line.
the hub3 will will give you the connection stats, which will tell you if there is a line fault or not (these can be posted on the virgin forum for someone to look at).

also, i'm sure you know, but don't do speed tests whilst connect to WIFI, as the hub3 has notoriously bad WIFI.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »

21Mb up suggests at least the 200Mb package.

Virgin have heavily invested in their network over the last couple years and there's A LOT less congestion on their network now.

I find it hard to believe it's that congested that 200/20 crawls to 2.5/0 at peak.

It sounds to me like there's a specific issue on the line/area or EU equipment.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 10:19:16 AM »

posting the router stats on the virgin forum will confirm is there is a line issue or not.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »

who is the account holder? the tenant or the landlord?
Landlord , House is an HMO with six Professional tenants.
Yes test had to be over WiFi (as Ethernet not set up in this flat yet due to missing patch cable), But I got the tenant to send me some photo's, the VM box is under the stairs, next to that is a TPLink Archer C5 looks to be set up as a router with 2.4Ghz and 5GHz, four antenna .
Also there is a TPLink WiFi extender base unit with the Second part in the communal living room, There is also an unidentified box I can not see properly in the photo, There must be a Network switch in the property somewhere as there are Six Flats and I would think each has a CAT6 Ethernet socket, Also evident it is like a Rats nest of wires / cables all around the Router aerials, Not good  :o
I will try and post the photo later.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »

testing via WIFI is totally unreliable.
you won't be able to know for sure whether the issue is simply WIFI related or virgin related.

as the person is not the account holder they won't be able to do anything if it's a virgin issue, as virgin will only speak to the account holder.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »

I wonder if its possible to connect to the network via a smartphone? If so, then you could stand near the router and do a speed test, and if its vastly higher than the speeds you were getting then its probably a wifi issue.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 01:59:26 PM »

testing via WIFI is totally unreliable.
you won't be able to know for sure whether the issue is simply WIFI related or virgin related.
Yes I know, But when that is the only way.
as the person is not the account holder they won't be able to do anything if it's a virgin issue, as virgin will only speak to the account holder.
I am going down to see the person next week so can do more in-depth tests and also take Ethernet patch cables with me, I think the landlord who I have met is very approachable about any problems with the property.

I wonder if its possible to connect to the network via a smartphone? If so, then you could stand near the router and do a speed test, and if its vastly higher than the speeds you were getting then its probably a wifi issue.
Yes I do have an app on my phone and yes I did that and at 16.03 on 13.8.19 it was 17Mbps Down and 17up, ping 18ms, jitter 26ms,0 packet loss.that was on 2.4GHz

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »

Is it worth trying to re-boot the VM box ?.

fat jez

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 10:35:43 PM »

I find it hard to believe it's that congested that 200/20 crawls to 2.5/0 at peak.

6-7 years ago, my Virgin Media in the Bristol area was congested to the point where I was barely seeing better than dial up speeds. There was a long running thread on the VM Forums about it and it was very noticeable that things improved dramatically when the students were on holiday. So I could believe that tickmike is having congestion issues.
Zen G.fast 330/50

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 06:17:46 AM »

How do you know what the other 5 tenants are doing with the connection? Even testing via network cable is going to be meaningless unless you're the only one using the connection.

One of the other users could easily be downloading torrents for instance.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

fat jez

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 09:30:35 AM »

Or indeed saturating the upload, which can make your download speeds seem poor (no bandwidth to send the ack packets).
Zen G.fast 330/50

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »

Yes good points but I think there was no one in when the tests where done, but it is somethink I will look at when I do other tests.

While on a 'Teamviewer' session the other night I tried to access the 'TPLink Archer C5 router' and got straight in  ;) so when I go down next week I will have a better look what is going off.

To access the VM box (which should be on a different IP address) Should I look for the above routers gateway IP address ?.

Asking the tenant last night to send me a screen shot of there phone WiFi connection page, 1 in there flat, 2 in the living area.
There seem to be Five Different SSID's .   :-\
Looks like two from the VM box  2.4GHz and 5GHz
Two from the TPLink Archer C5 router  2.4GHz and 5 GHz
and last the TPLink WiFi extender in the living area 2.4GHz

The tenant has only a password for I think to be the Archer C5 router WiFi .

Would you agree the the WiFi on the VM box needs turning off (which is next to the Archer C5 Box !) to stop the signal fighting with the routers signal ?.

Also the TPLink WiFi extender needs to be paired with the 2.4Ghz Wifi SSID of the Archer C5 box ? and use the same password.

The landlord last week admitted he knows nothing of WiFi / Internet set up.  :(

fat jez

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 11:12:12 AM »

Yes to both your questions, in my opinion at least.
Zen G.fast 330/50

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 12:20:18 PM »

it would sound like the VM hub is still in "router" mode.
if the tp-link is also in router mode then you have double NAT - not the best situation to be in.

ideally the VM Hub should be in modem mode and simply passed the WAN IP to the to-link to then be the router.
in modem mode the VM hub is simply a modem and does nothing else (ie no WIFI, DHCP, routing etc).

VM hub in router mode 192.168.0.1
VM hub in modem mode 192.168.100.1
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything