Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plusnet vs TalkTalk vs Sky ?  (Read 6145 times)

dorzb

Plusnet vs TalkTalk vs Sky ?
« on: August 20, 2019, 11:00:26 AM »

My current contract with BT ends in a few months time so I'm looking for a new ISP now. From my previous posts you'd know that I have got a very good and reliable line (Attainable Net Data Rate:39.386Mbps UP/102.336 Mbps Down).
Apart from BT, the exchange I'm connected to has 3 LLUs, TalkTalk, Sky, and Vodafone.

Vodafone: big NO from J0hn so I'll pass.  :no:

Plusnet:
Pros:
1.kitz and J0hn are using Plusnet that seems to mean a lot!  @kitz  @J0hn  ;D
2.Speed profile
3.Remote DLM reset

Cons:

1. I did some search myself and found out some said Plusnet have been moving their network from WBMC Shared to WBMC Dedicated, which causes high latency and packet loss. There have been quite a few posts on the Plusnet forums in the last couple of weeks complaining about latency and packet loss issue. This slightly puts me off.
2.Billing system. Lots of users have complained about their billing system. Someone even mentioned he'd not received any bills for a couple of months! (maybe this is a 'Pro' not a 'Con' then :P)

Sky:
Pros:
1.Good support
2.Best ISP supplied router (but I'm going to use my own anyway)

Cons:
1. Standard profile (does it matter though for I have such a good line?)
2. Netflix streaming not as good as other competitors

TalkTalk:
Pros:
1. Good results in the lastest Ofcom report(fast web browsing, low latency, packet loss and jitter and etc)

Cons:
1. Standard profile as same as Sky
2. No Remote DLM reset

So which one should I choose then?   ???

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 03:27:14 PM by dorzb »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: Plusnet vs TalkTalk vs Sky ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »

Not sure where you got the information about Sky routers being good. They're not that good.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

navzptc

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 01:18:16 PM »

dorzb,

I moved to PlusNet just under 3 months ago from BT (after many years) due to my profile being banded for the last 2 years, and got nowhere with them to get a DLM reset  :rant:

PlusNet so far have been superb - got new email addresses 30 days before the handover so I could amend all my old BT email addresses as required, and changeover was seamless and carried out at 0630 in the morning!

Use my own modem here, and have found service to be reliable (40+ days on current connect) and quicker than my old BT one due to DLM being reset with change of ip  :thumbs:

Also no problems with bills!!!

I can recommend them.

dorzb

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »

dorzb,

I moved to PlusNet just under 3 months ago from BT (after many years) due to my profile being banded for the last 2 years, and got nowhere with them to get a DLM reset  :rant:

PlusNet so far have been superb - got new email addresses 30 days before the handover so I could amend all my old BT email addresses as required, and changeover was seamless and carried out at 0630 in the morning!

Use my own modem here, and have found service to be reliable (40+ days on current connect) and quicker than my old BT one due to DLM being reset with change of ip  :thumbs:

Also no problems with bills!!!

I can recommend them.

Hi navzptc ,

Thanks very much for sharing your experience with both BT and Plusnet. That's helpful.

dorzb

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »

Not sure where you got the information about Sky routers being good. They're not that good.

Can't remember. Some said it's the best wifi among all ISP supplied routers. Modem-wise I think Zen's FRITZ!Box might be the best?

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 05:46:44 PM »

I wouldn't choose a ISP based on what router they supply. ISP routers vary from very poor to average wrt wifi, definitely worth using your own if great wifi is a must. I suggest you choose an ISP based on cost & support as a vdsl2 line will perform more or less the same irrespective of ISP. FWIW I was with TalkTalk (both Business & Residential) on ADSL2+ and VDSL2 from 2008 to 2017 and never had any issues - the icing on the cake were the rock bottom prices.

dorzb

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »

I wouldn't choose a ISP based on what router they supply. ISP routers vary from very poor to average wrt wifi, definitely worth using your own if great wifi is a must. I suggest you choose an ISP based on cost & support as a vdsl2 line will perform more or less the same irrespective of ISP. FWIW I was with TalkTalk (both Business & Residential) on ADSL2+ and VDSL2 from 2008 to 2017 and never had any issues - the icing on the cake were the rock bottom prices.

Thank you psychopomp1. In terms of cost and support I think Plusnet and TalkTalk are on a par with each other. Customers can request GEA report and remote DLM reset from Plusnet are the two things I like. I'm just a little bit concerned about their recent latency and packet loss issue.

PS: who's your current ISP? Amazing speed!

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »

Can't remember. Some said it's the best wifi among all ISP supplied routers. Modem-wise I think Zen's FRITZ!Box might be the best?

Oh. Well, that may be the case, but I've not used an ISP supplied router since... oh my word. A long, long time ago :)

In fact, when I took on my AAISP FTTC circuit, they didn't even supply me with equipment (my choice) as I have all my own, and I am much happier that way.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 01:56:05 PM »

I'm with an ISP called FluidOne. At the time (early 2017) i wanted FTTPoD, they were the only ISP offering it so had no choice but to go with them. Great ISP for speeds & support but not cheap! I'm paying > £300 /m though a large chunk of that will be paying off the installation costs of FoD. Around 10 months of my 36 months minimum term on FoD left  :fingers:

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »

My experience with Plus was similar to navzptc's. Moved from BT to them; my line also needed a DLM reset which got done during the switch-over (BT weren't bothered). To be fair, that was my own fault for using a dodgy Vigor 130 on my line.

I had no problems during the 18 months that I was with them - support was excellent too. I should mention though, that my line is quite stable and syncs at the maximum speed. Eventually switched to Zen because I wanted IPv6, no other reason.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 04:21:38 PM »

. . . that was my own fault for using a dodgy Vigor 130 on my line.

I don't want to hijack dorzb's thread but the above caught my eye . . . hence this request for hp to take a look at crgbt's problem, when time permits, please.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dorzb

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »

My experience with Plus was similar to navzptc's. Moved from BT to them; my line also needed a DLM reset which got done during the switch-over (BT weren't bothered). To be fair, that was my own fault for using a dodgy Vigor 130 on my line.

I had no problems during the 18 months that I was with them - support was excellent too. I should mention though, that my line is quite stable and syncs at the maximum speed. Eventually switched to Zen because I wanted IPv6, no other reason.

Thanks very much! I think I'll choose Plus then.

dorzb

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 09:10:54 AM »

I don't want to hijack dorzb's thread but the above caught my eye . . . hence this request for hp to take a look at crgbt's problem, when time permits, please.

Be my guest. ;D

speedyrite

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 01:24:21 PM »

Leaving aside lowest pricing and supplied router quality as factors for choosing, I have stuck with Sky (either on Sky Broadband or NOW Broadband) for several years now, mainly for the modernity and robustness of its core network that supports the service. Reliability has been very high.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 06:46:39 PM »

all have their poor sides...

I would have said Plusnet but they have definitely gone downhill lately, billing issues are woefull, ive been affected many times and still am (over charges with me), also ive lost 10-15Mb overnight which wasnt resolved after an engineer visit, when I first signed up their router would drop throughput by 20Mbps after 4-5 days and wouldnt resolve unless I reboot it, then it would happen again 4-5 days later, they sent me a replacement which did the exact same, I put a BT HH5B in and the problem went away.

Talk Talk connections are ok when they work, but they have call centres in india and my dad said calling them was offputting due to the language barrier, he could not understand them nor them understand him, he had to spell out each word he was saying. theor online forums support is good (or used to be anyway)

Sky routers are carp (all ISP routers are), their support is no better than any other either, sky used to be a great ISP but not so much of late from what I can gather

best of luck!
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73
Pages: [1] 2

anything