Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: UK ISPs shameful lack of IPv6  (Read 1922 times)

crgbt

• Just arrived
Re: UK ISPs shameful lack of IPv6
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »

Watch the presentation from a Microsoft employee about their efforts to get rid of IPv4 completely in their internal corporate network and now also the guest wireless LAN they offer to visitors..

That was a really good watch, thanks for the link Weaver. Iíll definitely be using some of that information in the future for work.

Alex Atkin UK

• Reg Member
    • My Broadband History
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2019, 10:12:29 PM »

Unless it is a limitation of your particular router, there's no reason why enabling IPv6 in any form should impact your IPv4 home network other than a few more broadcasts floating around.    You might have to disable IPv6 on certain hosts if you want to keep them on IPv4.

That's the thing, I think the Xbox One is the sticking point as IPv6 is mandatory.  If you don't have native it will use Turedo, if it sees native it will use it.  But seeing as that's the client I have the biggest problems with trying to allow traffic, its a none-starter.
Modems: 2 x VMG3925-B10B V5.13(AAVF.12)C0-jumbo
Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense.
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra.

Weaver

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Retd sw dev; A&A; 4 ◊ 7km ADSL2; IPv6; Firebrick
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2019, 11:36:06 PM »

I block Teredo seeing as it would be a hole in my firewall and I donít have the tools to inspect itís tunnel payload. I have native IPv6 so thereís something suspicious or very broken about anything that would even want to use Teredo under these circumstances.

Alex Atkin UK

• Reg Member
    • My Broadband History
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2019, 12:44:36 AM »

I block Teredo seeing as it would be a hole in my firewall and I donít have the tools to inspect itís tunnel payload. I have native IPv6 so thereís something suspicious or very broken about anything that would even want to use Teredo under these circumstances.

I gotta admit its kinda weird how Microsoft use Teredo as it still seems to open Xbox Live ports the same as it always did over IPv4, so what is it even using it for?  There were claims that Xbox One was "supposed" to exclusively use IPv6 for its networking, which surely makes no sense if its doing that?

I've also never seen evidence of Windows 10 using Teredo even when its installed.  So its either being very sneaky about it, or flawed.
Modems: 2 x VMG3925-B10B V5.13(AAVF.12)C0-jumbo
Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense.
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra.

Weaver

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Retd sw dev; A&A; 4 ◊ 7km ADSL2; IPv6; Firebrick
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2019, 02:34:57 AM »

In Vista, if you did not have native IPv6, then certain applications such as Windows Live Messenger demanded IPv6 and so the o/s kicked Teredo into action. I am guessing that an app might insist on sending something to a target IPv6 address, and so a source IPv6 address has to be created somehow for the operation to proceed. It worked well for me. A lot of people moaned about the unreliability of Teredo at some point later on, but I get the feeling that their problems may just reflect problems with UDP-based higher protocols in general, and might not necessarily be confined to Teredo, itís just that TCP was holding everything together with duct tape, assumptions and retx. If in fact an application is sending way too fast, without TCP then it is maybe no longer getting away with it. Or if there is packet loss in general for no good reason, with UDP alone and lacking extra clue on top of it, then youíre in trouble.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything