Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: switching FTTC isp (and GEA provider LLU)  (Read 2471 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
switching FTTC isp (and GEA provider LLU)
« on: August 19, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »

Will this lose my port at the cabinet?

I won the crosstalk lottery when my tie pairs got redone, sky's ipv6 is pretty much broken at the moment, and their netflix server's are congested.

So changing isp given the wait for residential FTTP here.

However my concern is I am moved to a different tie pair via port swap and lose out on crosstalk.  There is people on my pole, same cabinet getting 20mbit/sec less than me on sync speed.

For reference I am pretty sure the cabinet isnt full, so I am hoping that means no physical swap would happen.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:20:57 AM by Chrysalis »

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: switching FTTC isp (and GEA provider LLU)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 08:13:36 AM »

Shouldn't do. Will be some work with your copper in the exchange to jumper you to the receiving provider there but between your home and the MDF no action necessary. Moving your FTTC should be all configuration changes only - VLAN changes to move you to the new provider's Cablelink.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 09:07:31 AM »

Thanks, just found out cityfibre are doing residential for Leicester after all, so looking at timescale for this before I bite the bullet.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 12:19:23 PM »

Didn't realise you weren't aware of that one.

Timescales at this point may be virtually impossible - they don't plan that far ahead so if you're not in the early areas of work they can only guesstimate. No point in planning to do x street in 18 months time when plenty can go wrong in between, far better to plan as you need to, bar of course the capacity at the hubs where you know how many premises you want to pass total so can provision accordingly.

Will see a planning permission request from them to convert a building / industrial unit into a miniature DC to hold the OLTs and transport network kit before the digging starts.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 09:43:44 PM »

The digging been completed is probably years away for phase 2 :) but that component you said I needed (OLTs), if they put that in early during the build and given I already have the fibre on my road I could potentially order early, but yeah as you said who knows when that is, impossible to predict.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 06:54:42 AM »

The digging isn't completed. Even where there's existing CityFibre plant that's metro network. Will need new cabinets with the PON splitters in them, microducts to connect from cabinet to each property and laterals ending in a Toby to get the microducts to each property.

https://www.cityfibre.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/CF-Fact-Sheet_FTTH-Consumer-FTTH_Jan-2018.pdf

The existing ducting is generally going to be used to connect cabinets to CityFibre hubs/POPs, not homes. To get to businesses a bespoke build is done from the metro network. To start mingling that at any scale with the Vodafone / consumer FTTP would be unwise.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 06:49:26 PM »

Right, so how does it work if a street with homes already has a metro network, do they dig that street again then, as if it didnt have it?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:55:27 AM »

If they haven't already installed Toby's for the properties they passed they will need to come back and dig it up again.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything