Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Huawei B311 router issues  (Read 4301 times)

TheKeymeister

Huawei B311 router issues
« on: August 19, 2019, 10:54:17 PM »

I've got Three's HomeFi 4G home broadband product which came with a Huawei B311 router...had it running for a few months and it was great, 50meg down, 30 up, as opposed to the 15 down and 1 up that I was getting with Openreach based FTTC due to the cabinet being so far, ally cable, SCP, etc.

It's all gone wrong in the past 3 weeks, my phone keeps reverting to 4G rather than the WiFi, my work laptop won't connect to the VPN at all, and my own computer keeps sticking on 'Resolving host' for a good 5 seconds before loading a webpage. I've tried setting different DNS servers to no avail.  It seems like as soon as it resolves the host it goes to being properly fast again hence still getting a decent speedtest result.

Spoken to Three's technical support tonight, who reckon it's a known issue with Huawei and they're in the process of testing a firmware update which should be ready in the next 2-3 weeks! Has anyone else had similar trouble as it sounds a bit bullshitty to me.  For what its worth, I've got line of sight to the 4G mast, and my phone also uses Three 4G without any issues at all.
lol, internet

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Huawei B311 router issues
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 11:51:45 PM »

Sadly don't have the B311 anymore, but I never experienced the problems you have mentioned here. Perhaps this could indeed be a firmware issue, or maybe your unit has become faulty. Were there any firmware updates prior to it going wrong?

There is a little thread going on at TBB, which can be viewed here. It does mention some issues with the B311 experienced by different individuals and I wonder if the network switching issue is something you are currently experiencing?

Since you have already spoken with the technical support team without a real resolution (other than being told a firmware update should be ready in 2-3 weeks), I would suggest taking it up a notch to complaints. You are paying for the service, so they should be providing it to you. The fact they have acknowledged a problem exists should be enough to get you a replacement or credit for your hassles.

However, before you go ahead and raise a complaint, I would suggest trying to force 4G and/or 3G to see if this prevents the issues you have mentioned. At least if that does not work, you have a solid case for a complaint I think.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Nicemac2

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »

I too am experiencing this issue. I've read others are too on other forums. I noticed this issue starting on or about 25th July and am experiencing seriously reduced service from Three/Huawei 4G router ever since. Speed used to be between 30-45mb download now its fluctuates wildly and i'm getting an average of 2-4mb for the past 5 weeks. Add to this constant dropouts and lost connections I'm tearing my hair out.

I called Three on numerous occasions and was told anything between "There is an area fault soon to be fixed" to "Switch the Huawei B311 to 3G only...problem solved".... No it isn't solved with 3G when I've a busy household with 2 teenagers 2-4mb in 2019 simply will not surfice. Especially when I've had no issues with the service and device for approximately 5 months prior to 25th July.

I too have tried different DNS servers (Google, Open DNS etc) to no avail. I've also purchased an external antenna to see if that fixes it and again, still the problem exists.

I am clinging on to the hope that there is indeed a fix on its way but Three haven't mentioned this at all to me. I'm awaiting a followup call from Three this Friday (23rd) as i lodged a complaint. Oddly when the engineer on the phone tested my connection the speed was in excess of 30+mb for a day or two. It then simply reverted back to the 2-4mb and constant dropped connections.

Any advice, news or suggestions are greatly appreciated on this as i'm about to explode with rage if it isn't solved soon!!!  :D

Thanks

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 06:32:05 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Nicemac2.

I have a feeling that raising a complaint is the only thing you could have done besides going out and purchasing your own device. Though the latter may not be guaranteed to solve the issue if it is indeed local (network fault in your area, even though the problem does actually seem to relate to the device itself).

I would just suggest seeing where the complaint goes. I would hope that they would give you some credit towards your next bills and/or even send a replacement (perhaps even the Huawei AI Cube if you are lucky). In the meantime, if you have a spare 4G device (such as smartphone or tablet that can tether, or a dongle), you could temporarily use that to provide internet access.

I am a little surprised that the complaints team has given you a follow-up call a couple of days in advance since I have personally found them to be available almost instantly. Perhaps contacting their live chat via the link in my previous post would yield quicker results.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

anything