Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rural Long Line Woes  (Read 1942 times)

elreinewe

• Just arrived
Rural Long Line Woes
« on: September 20, 2019, 10:58:25 AM »

We built a house in a small village, (Barnby in the willows, near Newark. Notts) and have had BT broadband for almost 2 years. Not a great speed at 0.5Mb but at least it is broadband. Something's gone wrong in the last week and after 4 hours of being on hold and engineers investigating the problem, BT have just turned round and said that they can no longer provide us with broadband! What's that all about? Even though we use their landline. They even said that we won't incur a penalty for cancelling before our contract is up! Any ideas please?
Thanks.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Rural Long Line Woes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »

We built a house in a small village, (Barnby in the willows, near Newark. Notts) and have had BT broadband for almost 2 years. Not a great speed at 0.5Mb but at least it is broadband. Something's gone wrong in the last week and after 4 hours of being on hold and engineers investigating the problem, BT have just turned round and said that they can no longer provide us with broadband! What's that all about? Even though we use their landline. They even said that we won't incur a penalty for cancelling before our contract is up! Any ideas please?
Thanks.
You probably ought to start a new thread for this (@burakkucat can you assist please), but it sounds like you were right on the margins of having a workable ADSL connection and now some line condition/fault has pushed it over the edge. I'm rather surprised that BT (Openreach) have just thrown in the towel though as if its been working for two years they should be able to make it work again. Not good at all. :(
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Postal

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 12:48:21 PM »

Thanks.

What's your 4G mobile signal like?  Lots of people are now getting compatible modems or modem/routers and switching their internet to mobile rather than landline and getting much better speeds than your landline.  If you do that, there is also the option of porting your landline number to a VoiP supplier and doing away with the landline altogether.  At current prices (unlimited data sims at between £20 and £30 a month) it is also likely to be cheaper than the existing landline and broadband service.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 04:16:12 PM »

You probably ought to start a new thread for this (@burakkucat can you assist please), . . .

As suggested, done.  :)

All xDSL services provided in the UK are "best effort" and, currently, there is no obligation for a service to be provided nor maintained.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 12:03:56 AM »

I’m surprised it’s so low. Ought to look into the line stats and consider the usual measures for improving connection speed - different modem, cleaning up wiring cleaning, up path into the house, getting rid of all extensions.

I would not give up hope. If it worked before then it will most likely work again as there’s probably just a fault; the other possibility is there is a new huge source of noise in which case unfortunately you are screwed.

I strongly recommend you talk to Andrews and Arnold who have a "fix your line or your money back" offer, where they will actually take on other isp’s Faults and beat BT up if they can, to get it sorted. They are not the cheapest ISP but they are one of the very best; They are not cheap because (i) they employ only very clued up people not chimpanzees on the phone trying to read scripts and (ii) they don’t overload their network so they have to invest to keep improving it as usage rises all the time.

A&A can’t always win against BT who can turn truly nasty and they have to be careful but they always do their best.

The alternative is to go to 4G. Definitely worth considering if the signal strength is adequate, if the cell is not overloaded with traffic and as long as the basestation is not going down all the time. Some seem to suffer from outages for reasons unknown.

In fact A&A can help you to go to a mixture of DSL and 4G combined.

If you don’t go for 4G and you have deep pockets then some other ideas. You could order a new line and see what that’s like, then cancel the old one. If you want more speed then as I suggested you could consider combining 4G and DSL but you can also (again deep pockets) get double speed from using two phone lines ‘bonded’ together by AA.

I have four DSL lines bonded together and that gives me 9.8 Mbps downstream 1.3 Mbps upstream (TCP payload; figures from several speed testers). I wanted a lot more speed and vastly better reliability, and in fact the combined link has not gone down in nine years, 100% uptime, because if one line goes down then this is detected and traffic is just diverted to the other lines. I also have automatic switchover to 3G as extra backup now. (I haven’t got 4G hardware set up yet, although I do have 4G service available as well as 3G)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 12:14:35 AM »

Having reviewed the opening post, I suspect the service is ADSL2(+) rather than VDSL2 . . . so I shall re-home this thread in a more appropriate location.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »

Looking on http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage there seems to be good outside coverage.
https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/mobile-coverage suggests excellent indoor and outdoor 4G coverage
https://maps.vodafone.co.uk/coveragecheckers/web/default.aspx?configuration=partner

All the above have unlimited data.

Obviously the signal will vary depending on exact location, but it would be worth, so it would be worth experimenting with some cheap sims and seeing what reception is like, where your local masts are, if you have reasonable reception on a phone you will get even better reception on a correctly positioned external antenna.

You'll find lots of info here where lots of people have switched to mobile data.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 10:05:17 AM »

We built a house in a small village, (Barnby in the willows, near Newark. Notts)

You imply you're in the village, yet the village is served by a VDSL cabinet (PCP3) located outside the The Willowtree Inn. On the BT Wholesale checker it shows up under postcode NG24 2SA, even the vicarage can get 60Mbps.

I wonder if this is a database error, although some properties in NG24 2SG seem to be on direct exchange only lines.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 10:34:09 AM »

elreinewe can you go to the following link, and enter your phone number, then post a picture of the result but please blank out your phone number.

https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

anything