Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it possible VMG1312-B10A one cable for bridged and stats  (Read 2840 times)

Pauljbl

Is it possible VMG1312-B10A one cable for bridged and stats
« on: August 15, 2019, 04:59:38 PM »

Can the VMG1312-B10A be made to use one cable for bridging and stats.
Could only find it for 2 cables in the guides

Thanks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Is it possible VMG1312-B10A one cable for bridged and stats
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 05:27:52 PM »

Yes. I do so when using it as a modem only, that is in modem-only modem with routing and wireless disabled. I also have ‘Johnson’ custom firmware in mine, which gives you access to stats without having to log in, published by http://192.168.1.1:8000/whatever where the last part of the url can be exploited to give you pretty graphs of stats logged over time and raw numerical stats reports as obtained straight from the Broadcom CLI. The awkward bit was getting my router to grab accesses directed to 192.168.1.1 say and direct them to the modem, while doing the similar thing in reverse for the reply traffic. I did this with a lot of IP header rewrite rules in the Firebrick router, so the router configuration was everything.  The custom firmware and care and feeding is described in another thread concerning custom software dev by Johnson for the ZyXel modems including the 1312-B10A

Pauljbl

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 08:51:36 PM »

Can it be done with the standard firmware?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 10:09:04 PM »

I don’t know about ‘full router’ mode as opposed to ‘modem-only’ mode of operation of the 1312-B10A, but in the case where the B10A is just being a modem, then it’s all down to configuring the accompanying router correctly; so the answer is a definite ‘yes’ provided the accompanying router is configured appropriately or a ‘who knows’ if the router is unknown or unsuitable.

The router in a two box setup has to be capable of redirecting traffic to the modem’s http interface and back. It took me ages to work out how to do such with my router, because I’m stupid.

As far as I can see, the custom software is irrelevant, it’s just a nice-to-have if you’re running a modem-only-mode system. I would need to dig out that old thread.

Pauljbl

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 11:05:25 PM »

Can you remember how you set it up in just modem only mode

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 11:14:48 PM »

To clarify:

* How I set up the VMG1312-B10A to get it into modem-only mode ? No, it’s in the menus somewhere, but I have just set all my modems up (I have half a dozen B10As, truly) from a saved config file. Someone here will definitely be able to help with this.

Or

* how I got my router set up? Which is a Firebrick FB2700. I could show you that. It would be a modest-sized snippet of a config file in xml, showing the redirection rules I used, but it would have to be read in combination with the Firebrick manual which is a free download, and wouldn’t make much sense without speaking Firebrick-speak. We could help with that though. Some of the details would not be right for you because my choices in config design are governed by the IP address ranges I chose.

And this is the previous thread I was referring to : https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21545.msg372637.html#msg372637
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:22:54 PM by Weaver »

Pauljbl

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 11:20:07 PM »

I think my router is setup to route to modem interface already as I do it on my hg612.  Does the modem need any settings to output the pppoe and modem interface on the same lan port

Do you have the config file for the VMG1312-B10A
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:22:39 PM by Pauljbl »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 11:40:08 PM »

Attached is the VM1312-B10A config file I use for my first modem. I have four modems, for my four lines. You will definitely need to change some of the IP addresses in it as they won’t apply to you. This modem is set up with its admin IPv4 address at 192.168.1.1 by this config.

(My second modem talks and listens at 192.168.2.1, then .3.1 etc). (You will recall that, PPPoE doesn’t use IP, so it doesn’t have any IP addresses, it’s a L2-based Ethernet-only thing. So speaking pppoe to talk to the internet is independent from talking to the modem’s admin i/f itself for web-based commands and status display, telnet CLI commands and telnet stats etc)

You might want to whizz through this xml config file with a plain text editor and change any ip addresses that don’t make sense for you. There are also IP addresses mentioned in it that relate only to my ISP, Andrews and Arnold (aa.net.uk).

This isn’t going to help you with getting your router sorted out, second box, unless it just happens to pass the traffic through anyway. Mine didn’t. I would need to put the router config file up separately.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 11:49:50 PM »

As for your question about ports on the VMG1312-B10A, Burakkucat or Johnson or one of umpteen experts may be able to pitch in here and help out, as I am no expert - I was guided by these sages and the config was originally written by AA who pre-configured the B10A for me and I then perverted their config.

Since I have so many modems, I have a program I wrote which adapts a master config template edits it and customises it ready to be pushed into modem n=1,2,3,4 with per ‘slot’ customisations. I sort-of regret doing that, having the config file for all the modems different, but it’s easier for me to use, which is frequent, and more of a pain for setup, which is rare event. If I put the wrong modem in the wrong slot, they all work as far as basic internet access goes since pppoe cares nothing about IP or IP addresses, but I then can’t administer them with my router if they are in the wrong slots because in my case the routing is confused by the modem’s admin addresses being wrong.

(Btw You might find that old thread, and another one that preceded it, interesting reading.)

Pauljbl

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 11:53:19 PM »

Thanks I'll have a look at the file.

By the way do you update the modem firmware through the webpage GUI?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 12:06:51 AM »

Yes, dig around in the gui menus. The right hand side menu somewhere. The modems take an alarming amount of time to come back up again in some cases, mine take four or even five mins, so don’t give up.

Pauljbl

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 12:44:25 AM »

If I load your config file will I have your password to login or do you have the default password login

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 11:38:22 AM »

Can the VMG1312-B10A be made to use one cable for bridging and stats.

Why do you want to do this? I'm wondering if when we understand the issue we may be able to suggest a way around it whilst sticking to standard firmware.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:28:56 PM »

Can it be done with the standard firmware?

Yes. It's your router that needs to accept advanced configuration to allow this.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 12:54:05 PM »

Agreed with what jelv and j0hn said. The custom firmware is just a nice-to-have, to get the easy stats interface and MTU 1508 but it’s irrelevant otherwise. It’s all about the router, the other box, that is, not about the VM1312-B10A modem’s config.

But you did - I think - ask about how to get into modem-only mode in the first place, so that’s why I went into a digression posting the config file up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:56:45 PM by Weaver »
Pages: [1] 2