Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trial Invites for 1Gbps Virgin Media Broadband in Southampton  (Read 3744 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Trial Invites for 1Gbps Virgin Media Broadband in Southampton
« on: August 15, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/trial-invites-for-1gbps-virgin-media-broadband-in-southampton.html

Cable ISP Virgin Media UK has begun to invite selected customers in Southampton (Hampshire) to help trial their new DOCSIS 3.1 network upgrade, which will boost the service’s top download speed to 1000Mbps (albeit only 50Mbps upload) on existing Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC) and full fibre FTTP lines.

Do we have any VM customers living in the Southampton area? If so, you should get your name down for this trial on DOCSIS 3.1 for their new 1Gbps service. They are sending out a new hub too.

I was reading the comments about the 50Mbps upload speed, with many complaining. I can understand the complaints in the context of a very high download ratio. But 50Mbps is still higher than FTTC at 20Mbps, and ADSL has a very low upload speed. As long as you don't need to upload files fast, then a 50Mbps upload is still pretty fast, as long as its a good quality and consistent speed.

It'll also be interesting to hear the feedback on the new hub. How it compares to the current hub.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: Trial Invites for 1Gbps Virgin Media Broadband in Southampton
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 02:53:46 PM »

Meh, I think 50Mbps is pretty decent.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 03:40:27 PM »

It may appear pretty decent, but when taken in context with 1000Mbps download it's very poor, that's 1/20 of the download speed.

Compare that to 330/50 which has a ratio of 1/6.6
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 01:25:16 AM »

Far too expensive and rip off by Virgin Media

I will NOT order this because 1104Mbps/52Mbps are rather poor upload rubbish and rip off at £62 a month for 18 months or 24 months contract while other get 1000Mbps/900Mbps for £45 a months with no contract (with Hyperoptic)

Virgin Media 1.1Gbps/52Mbps
£62 x 18 = £1,116 plus £35 setup fee total £1,151
£62 x 24 = £1,488 plus £35 setup fee total £1,523

Hyperoptic 1Gbps/900Mbps
£45 x 1 = £45 plus £20 activation fee total £65 (after 18 months would be total of £830 or after 24 months would be total of £1,100)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 01:27:27 AM by adslmax »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 01:43:00 AM »

Max, it is not available to you in Telford . . . it is a trial based in Southampton, Hampshire!  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 02:00:27 AM »

Yes I am aware it only trial in Southampton area but if it does come to Telford, I am staying with FTTC 80/20.  :P ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 02:11:14 PM »

Seems to be a UK think on the larger isps sadly, to have bad download/upload ratios on these products I assume to protect business products.

Vodafone a big name is same up/down, but they have backhaul issues and limited coverage, single stacked legacy ipv4 and require use of their CPE.

Looking at this the 20/1 ratio isnt down to docsis, seems to be a commercial decision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

3.1 on there is listed as around 5/1 or 10/1.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »

Still not sure why everyone is lamenting about the low upload speeds.

Unless you are seeding torrents, the vast, vast majority of activity on a link is download, not upload.

Before anyone shouts "yes but I backup to the cloud" - initially yes, you may decide to upload your entire photo collection to the cloud, but typically you'd hit this once. For subsequent updates to your photo library (for example) then you'd be able to upload photos easily.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »

Most people wont upload anything of significance, but there is an ever growing market for streamers, who value upload capability as well as anyone who publishes video content on sites like youtube.

I think the issue here is also one of principal crippling a product to fit the market segment.

However with that said VM are apparently starting to see upload side congestion in larger numbers again, so if this is been done to prevent that on the newer products then I am all for it.  It may well be a capacity management policy.  I remember when I was on VM many years back, and they did a rare major node split in my area, for a few months it was great, then they activated the planned 10/1 ratio and visible congestion came back the moment they flicked the switch.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »

Streaming is very low bandwidth.

Now, uploading a lot of 4K content to YouTube - I'll give you that one. How many people will be doing that as individuals though?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 10:50:39 AM »

I dont upload with any regularity but when I do upload I prefer it to be fast.

Some examples.

Youtube videos (not 4k but that shouldnt matter, videos are still large at lower resolutions unless its a 2 sec clip).
ISO network mounts from home to datacentre ESXi/proxmox/kvm
ISO uploads from home to datacentre ESXi/proxmox
Cloud backups
Emails with attachments

Thats just for me personally, I would rather something be quick than slow, as whilst its uploading I am waiting, and also it will potentially hurt the QoS of my connection for longer.

I think we going back to the same argument that we used to have pre netflix, people like yourself used to argue we dont need VDSL because there is no use for it from "most" people, people like me would argue the availability has to be there for services to start using it, then of course it happened as I said, faster broadband was available in enough places, then services like netflix took off.  Similar arguments for higher data allowances as well.  Uploads from mobile phones are very popular, clips been sent to social media and the like.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »

"people like yourself used to argue we dont need VDSL"

You couldn't be further from the truth, I've seen a need for fast broadband for years and years. I was probably one of the first to get ADSL in 2003 where I was, first to upgrade to 2Mb, as soon as faster services have been available, I've been upgrading to them.

I'm just saying that the number of people demanding high upload bandwidth will be relatively MUCH lower than those who require faster downloads.

However, having said all that, I do agree that some more upload would be welcome.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:50:47 PM by dee.jay »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 04:12:29 PM »

Sorry for the misconception.

Incidentally I have family members who will complain that uploading photos is slow to wifi at my parents (on adsl) so they switch to mobile data.    However most of them think its down to bad wifi rather than the underlying internet connection.  I never say anything as its geek talk.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »

No need to apologise, just wanted to make sure my point was coming from the right place.

Oh yeah, the "wifi is bad". That makes me sad, but there's really not a lot we can do as techies, it goes over the vast majority of peoples heads.