Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: [Now Re-Homed] Firebrick FB2500 and FB2700 Firewall Routers  (Read 7384 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
[Now Re-Homed] Firebrick FB2500 and FB2700 Firewall Routers
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:03:49 AM »

I am hoping that I can find a good home with a kitizen for a Firebrick FB2500 or FB2700 firewall router. Both devices are in perfect working order, a few years old.

The difference is that the FB2500 has a slower CPU and compared with the the FB2700 lacks a USB socket on the front for a 3G or 4G USB NIC aka ‘dongle’ backup or ‘failover’ connection. The FB2500 has a lower total Mbps combined throughout than the FB2700.

Both devices have the top of the range software licence called ‘fully loaded’, which allows them to amgonsgt other features (i) perform BGP routing and (ii) combination/splitting aka aggregation or multiplexing/demultiplexing of multiple  ‘bonded’ lines.

A bit odd: I am not willing to part with both devices, because I need to keep one as a backup device myself. So I am open to expressions of interest in both devices.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: [Now Re-Homed] Firebrick FB2500 and FB2700 Firewall Routers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »

I'd be very interested in the FB2700, if I can make it work with two different ISP's.

How much would you be looking for, I'm aware these things are not cheap.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 11:36:23 PM »

Hi Dee.jay

Foc to a good home. Donation to kitz suggested. However it won’t be immediately available, as I have to get the fb2900 up and running first, and I have been so ill that my concentration is not adequate to the task just now. I’ll report back.

If you’re interested, then shout and it’s yours.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:13:19 AM »

Note to would-be rehomers. I won’t necessarily be able to give much support at all, not because I am being mean, but because my concentration is stuffed because of the constant pain and fatigue that I’m in. These routers work beautifully with no known problems.

The config that I use will not be suitable for your use. The reasons include the fact that: I’m using a range of IPv4 globally routable addresses for my main LAN; you may not have such an address block available to you provided by your ISP and may be using NAT with RFC1918 addresses for the LAN. There will be some mentions of ISP-specific addresses in the config relating to my assigned addresses, various nodes and services associated with the ISP. There will of course be mentions of my IP addresses.

There is a load of good stuff about firebricks at support.aa.net.uk and the manuals and software downloads are on the Firebrick website. Use the email list at: http://lists.firebrick.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/firebrick-users for questions. We have other Firebrick users here amongst us.

I see no problem using two different ISPs simultaneously provided you can get the IP addressing sorted out. That’s a problem which is beyond Firebrick configuration. Your strategy for IP address assignment and routing might be a subject for another thread. (One sledgehammer method of making two ISPs work on bonded lines might be the use of AA’s L2TP service iirc.)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 08:10:22 AM »

Hi Weaver, that is very generous of you, I'd certainly be interested to take it from your hands and I will indeed donate to Kitz as suggested.

No rush - whenever you are able.

Also, not perturbed by the difficulty, I am a Network Engineer by trade :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 12:47:34 AM »

Dee.jay I have the fb2900 working now and so the fb2700 is ready to go to its new home.

[Moderator edited to remove one sentence from above and add the sentence below.]

Will you please send me a PM, with your details, so Mrs Weaver can arrange shipping to you.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:35:58 PM by burakkucat »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 07:11:53 AM »

Just a note of caution, anybody could see this and email Janet pretending to be Dee.jay. I suggest he sends his address also via private message.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 07:37:23 AM »

Good point. Thank you to ronski.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 08:49:49 PM »

Ah, just getting back to this thread now. Will get in touch via PM very shortly.

cbarratt

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 09:57:27 PM »

Hey,

I'm late to the party and after trawling the web in the hunt for a FB2700, I came here!

Probably long gone... but are they still available?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 12:06:44 AM »

Sorry, gone :-)