Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openwrt router recommendations  (Read 5055 times)

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Openwrt router recommendations
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 08:50:01 PM »

In recent memory I have used a TP-link WDR3600, a BTHH5a and 2 different x86 machines with OpenWRT. Back in the day I used it along with dd-wrt and tomato on an actual WRT54g.

If I was starting with no compatible hardware now I'd probably buy the Archer C7 and have a play with that (would watch ebay for a few weeks if need be to get the cheapest I could). If it didn't meet my needs (it probably would if all I wanted to do was SQM) I could use it as a wireless AP and look at beefier hardware.

For me the killer feature of openWRT is the SQM with cake QoS, it turns my terrible 25/1 connection from one only suitable for a single user into one that can cope well with several people streaming/gaming/downloading and it just works.

Pauljbl

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 09:31:04 PM »

Do you know if the Linksys WRT AC1900 is any good for openwrt it seems good specs at not too bad price

In recent memory I have used a TP-link WDR3600, a BTHH5a and 2 different x86 machines with OpenWRT. Back in the day I used it along with dd-wrt and tomato on an actual WRT54g.

If I was starting with no compatible hardware now I'd probably buy the Archer C7 and have a play with that (would watch ebay for a few weeks if need be to get the cheapest I could). If it didn't meet my needs (it probably would if all I wanted to do was SQM) I could use it as a wireless AP and look at beefier hardware.

For me the killer feature of openWRT is the SQM with cake QoS, it turns my terrible 25/1 connection from one only suitable for a single user into one that can cope well with several people streaming/gaming/downloading and it just works.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 10:05:44 PM »

Do you know if the Linksys WRT AC1900 is any good for openwrt it seems good specs at not too bad price

Yep it has nice specs, but from a quick skim of ebay it looks to be priced similarly to a netgear R7800.

I own neither, but have read in several places people complaining about its wireless under OpenWRT, with people preferring the R7800. If you don't intend to use the wireless or can find it for a great price then its an option.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 01:07:08 PM »

Would the archer c7 have enough flash as it sates they have 16mb

Did think about the BT homehub how does it compare to the archer c7 which ones best

It has plenty of flash, but even if you are concerned you can use usb stick storage, even to the point the OS files can boot of the usb stick.  I use a usb stick anyway to preserve the flash erase cycles, for things like storing graph data and logs.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:14:09 PM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 01:10:35 PM »

Why would I want v2. I see v4 is slightly faster clock speed?

v2 has easiest install process, and the most mature full support.
v4 might be better now than it was, but at time I got my v2 it wasnt as easy as v2 for recovery etc.

increasing clock to 775mhz if that bothers you should be trivial to do on a v2.

Pauljbl

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »

Do you boot off the USB stick?

It has plenty of flash, but even if you are concerned you can use usb stick storage, even to the point the OS files can boot of the usb stick.  I use a usb stick anyway to preserve the flash erase cycles, for things like storing graph data and logs.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 06:59:26 PM »

I dont, but its possible to do so.

Pauljbl

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »

What modem do you use Johnson?

Yep it has nice specs, but from a quick skim of ebay it looks to be priced similarly to a netgear R7800.

I own neither, but have read in several places people complaining about its wireless under OpenWRT, with people preferring the R7800. If you don't intend to use the wireless or can find it for a great price then its an option.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 09:39:23 PM »

What modem do you use Johnson?

Currently a VMG1312-B10A with modified firmware for 1508 MTU, updated modem code and stats server - details here.

Syncs the best of any modem I've tried.

Also have an 8324 & 3925, the 8324 being almost identical to the 1312 in performance.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »

I've just installed Openwrt on an Archer C7 (V5) with original factory firmware, using this image .

Installation was simple, I just used the "Upgrade firmware" option in the web interface. I've got no previous experience with Openwrt, but everything seems to work properly, and it fixed an IPv6 problem which I had with the factory firmware.
  Eric

Pauljbl

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2019, 11:05:35 AM »

Currently a VMG1312-B10A with modified firmware for 1508 MTU, updated modem code and stats server - details here.

Syncs the best of any modem I've tried.

Also have an 8324 & 3925, the 8324 being almost identical to the 1312 in performance.

What's the filename of the one you used I have one of theses modems on the way.

Does it matter what firmware the modem is on before upgrading?

[Moderator edited to move the query to after the quotation, to which it relates.]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:35:33 PM by burakkucat »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2019, 12:48:16 AM »

Have you considered Merlin  lots of cheapish Asus hardware can run it, its tomato based.

I had an AC68U for a while which I fiddled with (admittedly I didn't like the hardware that much) and I liked the software.

Pauljbl

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 10:45:51 PM »

johnson do you use this one
1312-B10A-AAJZ16-jumboframes-x6.bin
Pages: 1 [2]