Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Openwrt router recommendations  (Read 5101 times)

Pauljbl

Openwrt router recommendations
« on: August 09, 2019, 11:05:51 AM »

Hi
Can anyone recommend a good router that has good openwrt support that can be picked up for a good price on flebay

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Openwrt router recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »

Can you be any more specific about what you would like from it?

• Whats a good price to you? Compatible devices can be had for as little as £10 or up to £100+.
  • What do you want to do with it - how fast is your connection? Do you want to shape it (QoS)?
  • Would you like to host a VPN on it so you can dial in when away from the house?
  • How technical do you want to get? Do you need something that you just flash and forget or do you like fiddling?

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 01:17:16 PM »

Hi
Can anyone recommend a good router that has good openwrt support that can be picked up for a good price on flebay
David C supports a few Linksys and kong supports Netgear R7800 and Linksys EA8500

I would avoid a Broadcom based router: https://openwrt.org/meta/infobox/broadcom_wifi
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:19:30 PM by hushcoden »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 01:23:14 PM »

David C supports a few Linksys and kong supports Netgear R7800 and Linksys EA8500

I would avoid a Broadcom based router: https://openwrt.org/meta/infobox/broadcom_wifi

Have read that dave c has given up trying to work out the problems with wireless on the WRT3200 etc models. Most people recommend the R7800 with its well supported qualcomm chips, but this is at the top end of what I would pay for an embedded box... when you are talking close to £100 you may as well find a low power x86 solution.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 02:06:40 PM »

Archer C7, can be had for £20 or so last time I checked, hardware fully supported.
All gigabit ports, AC wifi, ram and flash spec future proofed for future openwrt releases.

You want V2 ideally, there is 4 versions of this device. (seems now 5)

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c7-1750

Pauljbl

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »

I do like to fiddle with it yes.
I have a 36mbp fibre connection
Not worried about wireless as was thinking of keeping that as a add-on ap
I may want to shape it with QoS
A VPN to host on it would be good
Was thinking around £50 but may be more if its worth paying a bit more for better.

Can you be any more specific about what you would like from it?

• Whats a good price to you? Compatible devices can be had for as little as £10 or up to £100+.
  • What do you want to do with it - how fast is your connection? Do you want to shape it (QoS)?
  • Would you like to host a VPN on it so you can dial in when away from the house?
  • How technical do you want to get? Do you need something that you just flash and forget or do you like fiddling?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »

Ok the two devices others have mentioned would be my gotos.

The TP-link Archer C7 should be meaty enough for your needs, 780mhz 128MB of ram, anywhere from £20-40 on ebay. Lots of people use this device so finding solutions to problems should be pretty straightforward.

The netgear R7800 if you want a fast box for what ever reason, 1.7ghz dual arm core, 512MB of ram. In the past few months they have gone for as little as £60, but you'd have be patient/get luck to get one that cheap. They seem to go from £70-100.

Was going to suggest a BT Home Hub 5a if you were handy with a serial adapter, they used to go for less than £10, but it appears all thats on ebay these days are devices people have unlocked already for ~ £20. So probably not worth it.

Then of course you could look at x86 machines (most people would call them overkill for OpenWRT will tell you to use pfsense, but I like to run a hypervisor and have openwrt in a VM, then the always on box can do more interesting things as well), but that can get expensive fast. But if you like fiddling with things can be hours of fun. You can look for thin clients with pcie slots for an extra network card, or intel NUC units with more than 1 NIC.

Pauljbl

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 05:29:03 PM »

Would the archer c7 have enough flash as it sates they have 16mb

Did think about the BT homehub how does it compare to the archer c7 which ones best

Ok the two devices others have mentioned would be my gotos.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 05:45:08 PM »

Would the archer c7 have enough flash as it sates they have 16mb

Did think about the BT homehub how does it compare to the archer c7 which ones best

Its a little on the small side, but the latest version of OpenWRT still fits on 8mb flash devices.

The BTHH5a has 128mb of nand flash, same amount of ram but a slower 500mhz CPU.

Pauljbl

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 06:33:39 PM »

Do you think the archer c7 or BT hub would be powerful enough for openvpn and QoS and maybe other things

Its a little on the small side, but the latest version of OpenWRT still fits on 8mb flash devices.

The BTHH5a has 128mb of nand flash, same amount of ram but a slower 500mhz CPU.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 06:51:25 PM »

From experience the HH5a could shape my 25/1 connection with 80-90% load when maxing out both ways. It can probably handle more than that though.

This thread suggests the Archer C7 can shape up 100-200mbit/s with SQM:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/solved-openwrt-performance-on-tp-link-ac1750-archer-c7/23239/10

Another user in that thread says around 20mbit/s throughput with openvpn. Since your upload is less than that it shouldnt pose a problem with a dial in VPN. If you wanted to use it as a gateway to a VPN service for all your home devices performance should be a lot better with WireGuard.

Pauljbl

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »

What is wireguard?

From experience the HH5a could shape my 25/1 connection with 80-90% load when maxing out both ways. It can probably handle more than that though.

This thread suggests the Archer C7 can shape up 100-200mbit/s with SQM:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/solved-openwrt-performance-on-tp-link-ac1750-archer-c7/23239/10

Another user in that thread says around 20mbit/s throughput with openvpn. Since your upload is less than that it shouldnt pose a problem with a dial in VPN. If you wanted to use it as a gateway to a VPN service for all your home devices performance should be a lot better with WireGuard.

Pauljbl

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 07:08:26 PM »

Why would I want v2. I see v4 is slightly faster clock speed?

Archer C7, can be had for £20 or so last time I checked, hardware fully supported.
All gigabit ports, AC wifi, ram and flash spec future proofed for future openwrt releases.

You want V2 ideally, there is 4 versions of this device. (seems now 5)

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c7-1750

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 07:17:48 PM »

What is wireguard?

Its the new hotness in VPN protocols. Easier to set up, less resource intensive and much faster than openvpn. Some people are apprehensive to use it as its really new, but its adoption is growing.

You can google for more info.

Pauljbl

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »

Have you used many routers with openwrt?

If you had the choice of a router that runs openwrt which one would you get?

Its the new hotness in VPN protocols. Easier to set up, less resource intensive and much faster than openvpn. Some people are apprehensive to use it as its really new, but its adoption is growing.

You can google for more info.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:34:02 PM by Pauljbl »
Pages: [1] 2

anything