Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)  (Read 24170 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2020, 03:17:34 PM »

Its all gone quiet now after that duct clearing work.  Only seeing one BT job on one.network in the area and its for repairing a cable across the road into a maisonette that they foolishly keep laying loose in the grass (its buried, but just barely).

Site still says "to start in next 3 months", despite it now approaching five and a half months since that was initially the goal on the Fibre First document.

So everything is happening as expected really.  :lol:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »

I'm seeing a few jobs for 1 way poly duct, is this to convert properties with direct-ground cables into FTTP ready state?

Also, why is it 1 way poly duct?  What makes it 1 way?

Interestingly the repair across the road for an in-ground cable does not mention replacing it with ducting, you'd think they would considering.  That whole side of the street is probably laid directly in the ground so going to be a fun job converting for fibre.  At least its paved not tarmac, although I suspect its laid in the grass verge.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:36:52 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2020, 07:47:46 PM »

I'm seeing a few jobs for 1 way poly duct, is this to convert properties with direct-ground cables into FTTP ready state?

Also, why is it 1 way poly duct?  What makes it 1 way?

Interestingly the repair across the road for an in-ground cable does not mention replacing it with ducting, you'd think they would considering.  That whole side of the street is probably laid directly in the ground so going to be a fun job converting for fibre.  At least its paved not tarmac, although I suspect its laid in the grass verge.

Don't be fooled by the description (as most people do  ;D ) ....... 1-way duct is just normal duct, usually duct 54 (Google it).

I'd be surprised if they were installing this to each premises, it would usually be used in the network ... ie: between boxes, between box and DP etc .... a smaller duct such as 'Gabacom tubing' would usually be used to get from box to premises (toby boxes).

Try not to fret over what they are doing regarding the civils ... there's a lot of work goes on in the background to ensure it's the correct solution.  ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2020, 04:10:17 AM »

I know the time scale is "how long is a piece of string", as much as I'd love to get this tomorrow.

Its mostly curiosity about why these jobs are showing up where they are and what the purpose might be.  I hardly leave the house due to a random sleep pattern and anxiety, so while it might seem unhealthy to be dwelling on the details, for me its not.  If my health problems hadn't been a major barrier (funnily enough people don't like employees who run to their own timetable), I'd be working in IT, so trying to work out of the details of this sort of thing is very much what I'm interesting in.

Like I said, the other side of the road from me is ductless, at least running up to each maisonette. So it should be pretty obvious once anything interesting is happening as presumably they would have to run new duct up to each building?  I'm certainly going to notice that from the CCTV on the front door.  ::)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2020, 04:32:13 PM »

Well apparently the other side of the road IS ducted, had a talk with the engineer and they were replacing the wire as they had ran out of working pairs for a new line.

In other news, the Fibre First site has updated to Build in Progress.  ;D  That's something I guess.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2020, 06:19:17 PM »

Had a walk today and realised I completely misjudged things.

All the lines on this side of the street come from the duct down the other side, which explains why I've gotten hit so hard with crosstalk over the last year or so.  It splits off to my DP at the road junction but interesting, there is no access to the duct at all this side of the road.

So I'd imagine its going to need the pavement digging up at the bottom of the pole to route the fibre up the pole?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2020, 09:13:31 PM »

. . . I'd imagine its going to need the pavement digging up at the bottom of the pole to route the fibre up the pole?

If I have a correct mental image, from your description of the situation, then that should be a quick and simple task.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2020, 09:30:36 PM »

Depends how complex it is to get permission to dig up below the pole, but it does serve most of my side of the street.  I wonder if I will see a "build BT chamber in footway" job pop up for this?

There are maisonettes down one side that will need ducting, but those are all in earth so should be very easy.

I'm trying to convince myself that as I have two lines and said I'm interested, they will do here first. ;)  Despite the fact I'm 2KM from the exchange so probably going to take a while to reach here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:25:30 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2020, 02:14:12 AM »

After finding out INTAKE was put on hold due to unexpected difficulties (and concerned its now not listed on the Fibre First map at all), I e-mailed Openreach and was somewhat surprised at a fairly swift response from the Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complaints Team.

Had a call today from them and they are going to chase up with the project leader to find out what the delay is.

Also found out the plan was supposed to be to have it finished by next March, which seems awfully fast for such a large area.

Its really about having a rough time scale so I know if I should renew my FTTC contracts or not.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:17:56 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2020, 11:21:38 AM »

Bad news:

Good morning Alex,

Many thanks for speaking with me this morning.

As discussed, the good news is that your premise is included in the  Fibre Cities programme , however works are not due to commence until  March 2022.

This is due to the fact that extensive power and electrical services at the exchange, need to be overhauled and until this is completed we are unable to commence any FTTP build in the area.

It is at least something to look forward to in the near future.

Thank you for your enquiry ,  I wish you and your family well and will now arrange to close your case.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Lydia Abbs
Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complaints Team
Openreach.

:-\ :no: :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:33:31 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »

Hi

Stuff like that happens unfortunately, at least you received some indicative dates and a reason so can plan ahead with any contract renewals or other alternatives that may come your way.

Regards

Phil

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2020, 11:28:35 AM »

Contract renewals was exactly why I chased this up as no point paying full price for Plusnet if there is zero chance of FTTP in the next 18 months.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2020, 09:36:47 PM »

Just checked the September 2020 PDF and it seems Intake is back on the "build start within next 3 months", so fingers crossed this is FINALLY happening.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2020, 11:26:20 AM »

Hi Alex,

I have received the following update.

At the moment we are looking to start building the network from the start of 2021, however the build programme does run through to mid 2022 at the moment and we cannot say exactly where your premise sits in the build until we undertake access surveys – which begin early 2021.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Lydia

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2021, 04:29:42 PM »

And were back:

Works location: BTW JNC CONSTABLE DRV AND JNC RAEBURN ROAD ON, CONSTABLE ROAD...
Works description: Locate and excavate 5 blockage in existing duct...
Responsibility for works: Openreach
Current status: Advanced planning

This is directly opposite the local aggregation node.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:00:48 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9