Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)  (Read 24327 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »

Thanks for the reply BS, the cabinet in question is NDRAM2, which is very close to the Ramsgate exchange. Many eci cabs round here now have Huawei twins.

I've also seen a roadworks notice by BT Openreach for the sighting of a welfare unit near our estate (which is DIG) for the next six months, I can only think this is for the fttp install, VM had one there when they did their install.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 11:55:38 PM »

Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

SlimJ

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 05:28:32 PM »

I've also seen a roadworks notice by BT Openreach for the sighting of a welfare unit near our estate (which is DIG) for the next six months, I can only think this is for the fttp install, VM had one there when they did their install.

Are you seeing much progress for FTTP rollout in Ramsgate yet Ronski?  I regularly check Roadworks.org but don't really see much sign of any progress yet - just wondering when it's all going to kick off!

I do note Woodchurch in Manston, and Plucks Gutter (both off Minster Ramsgate exchange) have been lit up for FTTP.  The overhead fibre runs straight past my DP (with a Track Joint on the same pole) in Monkton as it goes down to Plucks Gutter - you'd have thought they would have enabled our little area of 15 properties... but naaaah (we all get around 20-25mbit down), bit short sighted if you ask me!! :(
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:32:23 PM by SlimJ »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »

I look on the new roadworks site but the only thing I've seen is for the sighting of the welfare unit behind Tesco's extra. That must be annoying have the fibre run straight past.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 06:03:52 PM »

Seems it might not be g.fast after all:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8589-40-more-exchanges-with-some-g-fast-coverage
Another new development is that some cabinets are seeing VDSL2 side pods appear on the green PCP cabinet and these VDSL2 sidepods are almost visually identical to the G.fast pods. So if you do see a side pod appear it may not be for G.fast but to allow for ports of VDSL2 capacity.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 07:13:35 PM »

I noticed my exchange is on that list. I know the g.fast pod went on the the cabinet a while back and I'm outside of the range.

What I don't understand is why OR are adding all these g.fast pods on to old technology that is going to be replaced by full fibre in the relative near future? Wouldn't it have been better to just tweak vdsl profiles or would that have required a physical upgrade too?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 06:13:32 PM »

Hi All,

Is this at all related to City Fibre?

I have been absent for quite some time & I have lost touch with any more recent developments.

City Fibre have vey recently installed some cabling/fibre into a chamber directly outside my house, but all they could/would  tell me was that it is supposed to be able to provide 'super fast' broadband speeds,

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 08:41:59 PM »

Fibre First is an Openreach initiative for installing FTTP, yes they finally seem to have accepted FTTP is the way to go  :)

If you go to this page https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first and scroll there is a map where you can select your nearest city, note it doesn't matter what city you select as selecting any city seems to populate the whole map and then it's just a case of zooming in to where you want to look.

City Fibre is also installing lots of true FTTP in what they call Gigabit Cities, as are various other companies now.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »

Well THIS is promising, the checker has updated:

Good news – we’ll be upgrading your area to Full Fibre (Fibre to the Premises - FTTP) soon.

I mean granted "soon" in Openreach speak could be over a year, but it does seem to suggest my street is planned to be included.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2019, 06:15:26 PM »

Alex, is that the BT Wholesale checker or the link I posted above?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »

The one above.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »

Well THIS is promising, the checker has updated:

Good news – we’ll be upgrading your area to Full Fibre (Fibre to the Premises - FTTP) soon.

I mean granted "soon" in Openreach speak could be over a year, but it does seem to suggest my street is planned to be included.

In my experience, from identifying an area (usually 120 dwellings or less per PON), to being ready to 'customer ready' .... takes around 2 months.

Most of the work you won't see (such as the planning stages), but once you start to see the guys on-site 'Test rodding' between work-points to identify free ducts, or whether civils are required, the process will generally take 3-4 weeks.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »

Your area isn't the norm that I see BS.

At least 9-12 months was more the norm for fibre first in Edinburgh.
Some of the Fibre First exchange areas they are finishing in Edinburgh right now were announced some 18 months ago and aren't all going to be finished in the next couple months.

Don't think I've ever seen any area live 2 months after being announced/showing as FTTP coming on the checker.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2019, 02:00:20 AM »

In my experience, from identifying an area (usually 120 dwellings or less per PON), to being ready to 'customer ready' .... takes around 2 months.

Most of the work you won't see (such as the planning stages), but once you start to see the guys on-site 'Test rodding' between work-points to identify free ducts, or whether civils are required, the process will generally take 3-4 weeks.

Well the original announcement at the end of July was "starting in the next three months".
Three months had already passed BEFORE they updated the map to say "starting in the next three months".  :-\

Now granted they aren't the best at keeping things up-to-date, but it certainly doesn't appear like they started yet.  There is nothing on one.network to suggest any roadworks, although presumably that won't happen until they have done extensive rodding to determine which areas need blockages clearing, etc.

To be fair, if this all lines up with being ready just after the new pricing tiers come in, that could be pretty sweet.  Although I'm about 2KM from the exchange, so not sure if/how that impacts the time scale.  I'm certainly not the furthest away, I believe my exchange is the largest in Sheffield, presumably why it was chosen.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »

Your area isn't the norm that I see BS.

At least 9-12 months was more the norm for fibre first in Edinburgh.
Some of the Fibre First exchange areas they are finishing in Edinburgh right now were announced some 18 months ago and aren't all going to be finished in the next couple months.

Don't think I've ever seen any area live 2 months after being announced/showing as FTTP coming on the checker.

I have no idea whether terminology of these roll-outs differs .... but being part of the 'Fibre Cities' programme personally, my post still stands as far as my experience goes, j0hn.

Again, the site-checkers that you or members of Joe Public see, will be different from what I see.

From the original blue-print to fully commissioned it takes approx. 2-3 months for each PON (around 120 premises).
Yes, of course there's always grey areas, there always are .... such as MDU's (Multiple Dwelling Units), where the rules and regs (and wayleaves) change .... but on the whole .... !!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9