Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)  (Read 24193 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)
« on: August 09, 2019, 01:50:53 AM »

So it appears my exhange is in the next batch of Fibre First rollouts which is potentially exciting but I will assume they will ignore my area, as Virgin did (which gives Openreach very little incentive unless 5G rolls out here), for now.

I'm on the largest exchange in Sheffield so it seems unlikely they are going to do the entire catchment area as its huge, although it would be pretty sweet if they did and a large chunk of it does have FTTC already so the fibre nodes are already there.

Does anyone know how this has worked previously?  Is there a typical pattern to how they decide where to cover, other than businesses?

My estimate for FTTPoD was insane, considering if the ducting is clear it should be a relatively easy run from the nearest node.  (although I don't actually know where that is, any clues?)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:53:25 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 01:13:18 PM »

No clues to the position of the Aggregation Node. Your FTTPoD quote should have given an indication of the distance from it though.

An Aggregation Node will usually serve 3 or 4 FTTC cabinets and can cover around 1400 homes for FTTP.

Usually the Agg Node is next 1 of the the FTTC cabinets it serves but can also be inbetween 2 of them.

Fibre First is rolled out on an exchange by exchange basis but you are correct that they won't cover every property on the exchange.
They will do a large majority that they can reach though.

Any idea why Virgin skipped your street? Any unique about it to surrounding streets?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 06:04:51 PM »

Sheffield Council resurfaced a bunch of footpaths as part of their tree destruction programme. They refused to allow VM to dig these areas so much of Sheffield was missed during the recent rollout.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »

My area it was more that it got left out after Telewest took over Yorkshire Cable and ceased all expansion.  Then they finally started the other end of my road and it stopped again when they re-structured to Virgin Media.

Also I believe they ARE allowed to dig up the new pavements/roads, they just have to then pay to resurface the whole thing again which is likely too expensive to be worth their while.  Although its not like SCC are even enforcing this rule, plenty of cases where the new surface has channels dug out of it.  Plus Virgin may have a case anyway as in lots of places Amey have covered their junction points in the pavement with spray on tarmac.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 01:30:00 PM »

It doesn't show up on the fibre first map yet, otherwise you can see what area's they are planning to cover, although doesn't mean they will do all properties in that are.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first

Select any area from the drop down and then they are seem to appear on the map.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 11:01:45 PM »

I'm on an ECI cabinet which may also be another reason they targeted this exchange and actually be in my favour here.

I also can't find it now, but I think my FTTPoD quote said I was 400m from the node.  The only thing which goes against them doing here is the lack of competition from Virgin, but I do see a few MiFi connections in the area so with the chance of 5G making it even more viable, I can see why that may also make them consider it a viable area.

Plus when I had my second line fitted the engineer took to hook about half an hour to hook it up, which makes me wonder if there's an issue finding decent pairs as surely it shouldn't take that long.

A lot of speculation I know, just trying to remain optimistic as I'd definitely be in favour of going Gigabit and calling it a day (though not at current pricing, 330Mbit will do).  No more wondering if the sync rate is going to drop again.  I've already lost 3Mbit off my main line over the last few months, and 1Mbit off my second just this morning.

Also with climate change, I'd kinda like one less way for lightening to blow things up.  Our chimney got hit once and despite being several feet away from the line the capacitive coupling blew up the modem, router and every NIC.  (granted that was BNC networking days so it had a direct path across to every PC)  That was mighty impressive though as it was an actual modem back then so it managed to surge from the phone line to the serial port, blew the IO chip and out the PCI NIC.  Its fascinating and scary how far a surge can go, and perhaps more fascinating that my line worked so well for VDSL after that kind of abuse.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:38:00 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 02:16:31 PM »

Curious, this expansion pod has appeared on my cabinet.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »

That's a G.Fast pod.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 04:07:07 PM »

That's a G.Fast pod.

That's what I was thinking, not exactly "Fibre-First" now is it!

I guess it might mean my street ISN'T getting FTTP which would kinda suck, although better than being stuck with the ECI cabinet next to this.

I wonder if they are thinking they could move some people onto G.FAST and others onto FTTP and remove the ECI cabinet entirely?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »

Unrelated to Fibre First.

G.Fast in Sheffield was announced in 2018 long before Fibre First.

I wonder if they are thinking they could move some people onto G.FAST and others onto FTTP and remove the ECI cabinet entirely?

They can't run G.Fast without the ECI cabinet so that isn't possible either. It uses the DSLAMs power supply.
The ECI cabinet isn't going anywhere.

As mentioned in other threads Fibre First will not cover the whole of Sheffield.
Specific areas, on an exchange by exchange basis.

There's huge chunks of Edinburgh that were covered with G.Fast then later Fibre First came along.

Some properties can get 80Mb FTTC, 330Mb G.Fast and 330Mb FTTP.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 10:15:21 PM »

My exchange was NOT on the list to get G.Fast but IS on the list to have work start on Fibre First by the end of this month.  The timing is very suspect.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:20:10 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 01:49:20 AM »

Initial G.Fast exchanges in Sheffield.

Locations in Sheffield set to benefit include parts of the following wards: Broomhill & Sharrow Vale, Burngreave, City Ward, Crookes & Crosspool, Fulwood, Hillsborough, Manor Castle, Nether Edge & Sharrow, Park & Arbourthorne and Walkley

If your exchange isn't on that list that's not unusual.

Fibre First is FTTP only.

Sheffield was announced to get G.Fast 18 months ago and while they have scaled back their coverage targets significantly they still have more to deploy than the announced exchanges to meet targets.

I've seen OpenReach roll out G.Fast to an area then months later blanket cover it with FTTP.
They did this on multiple cabinets on multiple exchanges in Edinburgh, which is in the same situation as Sheffield.

It seems the 2 rollouts are completely uncoordinated and I wouldn't be surprised if there was no correlation between the the G.Fast pod and Fibre First.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 10:56:43 PM »

Initial G.Fast exchanges in Sheffield.

If your exchange isn't on that list that's not unusual.

Fibre First is FTTP only.

Sheffield was announced to get G.Fast 18 months ago and while they have scaled back their coverage targets significantly they still have more to deploy than the announced exchanges to meet targets.

I've seen OpenReach roll out G.Fast to an area then months later blanket cover it with FTTP.
They did this on multiple cabinets on multiple exchanges in Edinburgh, which is in the same situation as Sheffield.

It seems the 2 rollouts are completely uncoordinated and I wouldn't be surprised if there was no correlation between the the G.Fast pod and Fibre First.

Quite a bizarre way to work as in theory they could end up enabling FTTP BEFORE G.fast has even gone live, which makes no sense.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 06:11:02 AM »

We're supposed to be fibre first with the fttp work currently in progress yet yesterday I spotted a second fttc cabinet being installed.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 07:16:02 AM »

We're supposed to be fibre first with the fttp work currently in progress yet yesterday I spotted a second fttc cabinet being installed.

There are considerations to be taken in when planning a fibre PON, one of which is the head-end capacity and the amount of fibres available between there and 'Fibre Agg'.

Finances will dictate whether a new spine cable be blown in, or the alternative solution is to utilise the X2 FTTC Cab, basically making that the new head-end.

It's not simply as cut & dried as that, but in nutshell that new Cab could be part of the solution I mention above ??. TBH, the X2 solution is more likely to be used in far-reaching rural premises, but is an option nontheless regardless of geography. :-)

Just for info really.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9