Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)  (Read 24376 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2022, 03:25:43 PM »

So they just ran fibre across the road to the maisonettes, nothing on roadworks so confirms my theory that the reason there are so few jobs round here is they are able to do it without disrupting the road so no need for permits.

However that also meant they had the box open that leads to my pole and crap, no ducting at all, its armoured cable all the way.  I fear this means a much longer wait for them to get round to doing it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2022, 09:05:47 PM »

The roadworks for my DP were over the last three days but appears to have dropped off one.network with nothing actually happening.  It seems things were going through the motions as the one for the road went from "no carriageway incursion" to "stop/go boards" then disappeared.

I did check over the last few days though and noticed the neigbours parked on the pavement they would need to dig for the ducting.

What recourse do Openreach have to get people to move their cars illegally parked in the way of their work?  Is it likely this is why it didn't happen?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2022, 09:23:16 PM »

Utilities often seem to book roadworks here (sometimes several times!) but then fail to turn up and do any work. Regardless, the council put up no parking signs in preparation for these non existent works.

What recourse do Openreach have to get people to move their cars illegally parked in the way of their work?  Is it likely this is why it didn't happen?

Our local council tend to tow cars away in areas marked as no parking after giving them a parking ticket

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2022, 09:39:14 PM »

When its council works sure, but I've never seen the same done for Openreach.

I wonder if the fact they initially seemed to apply as "no incursion" then had to hastily change it was a glitch, or something that actually happened and messed this up?

I do agree its normal for things to pop up and disappear several times, but I was just curious how the parking issue may play into this, if at all.  As if they turn up and the pavement is blocked, can they call the council to deal with it?  Is this routinely done/checked before work begins?

redanalog

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2022, 09:50:48 PM »

As if they turn up and the pavement is blocked, can they call the council to deal with it?  Is this routinely done/checked before work begins?

Depends on what works actually needs done - if we need to trench through the footpath then the cars in the way might be an issue.
Couple things we can do in these instances
-knock on doors and ask people to politely move their cars cause they don't want them covered in dust and tar
-request the council send traffic wardens down to enforce the zone
-send a Traffic Management crew the night before to cone off the area

If we don't need to trench through the pavement (which is normally the case) we are pulling cable through existing infrastructure whether underground or overhead.
FTTP & Copper Engineer

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2022, 01:36:23 AM »

Definitely needs trenching, its DIG from the DP down the pavement to the joint across the road.  I was eye-balling it and figured its right under the cars.

I think they might have dug an exploratory hole under the DP, I don't remember it being there before but it didn't look fresh tarmac which is odd.  I wonder if its temporary tarmac of a sort due to needing to dig it up again?

redanalog

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2022, 12:57:39 PM »

Definitely needs trenching, its DIG from the DP down the pavement to the joint across the road.  I was eye-balling it and figured its right under the cars.

I think they might have dug an exploratory hole under the DP, I don't remember it being there before but it didn't look fresh tarmac which is odd.  I wonder if its temporary tarmac of a sort due to needing to dig it up again?

Wouldn't be able to give too much information without being onsite but normally there is 4 inch ducts between the manholes, only way I could see a full trench needed would be if they are installing a brand new manhole but as I said, wouldn't know without being onsite.

We do use cold lay tar on public grounds as a temporary fix then submit a ticket to get a "hotbox" out to do hot lay as permanent fix.
FTTP & Copper Engineer

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

redanalog

« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2022, 09:35:49 PM »

Looks like they are fitting swept tees to allow for fibre bend radius in the ducts feeding the lineplant
FTTP & Copper Engineer

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2022, 08:22:42 AM »

Seems they did it while I wasn't looking.

Things seem confusing though, as I noticed this yesterday as they ALSO came out to install a new pole to cover this section - which is at odds with them doing the duct work.

AFAIK there is no duct under the road, but according to the workers the mark on the road suggests a blockage and there appears to be ducting going somewhere from that new chamber.  They were as confused as I was as to why a pole had been ordered AFTER it had been ducted already.

My guess would be the duct ends at the curb with the intention of doing the rest later, but then it doesn't explain that patch on the road or why there is a marking suggesting a blockage if there ISN'T ducting already.

Any ideas what is going on?  Would they really just give up and resort to a pole after already running new ductwork?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 08:26:36 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2022, 12:48:54 AM »

Followup.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2022, 01:15:01 AM »

I'm not sure how to read the blue markings on the grass (in the last picture). Can you make anything of it?

Edit: After downloading a copy of that image and staring at it in full-screen mode I think it reads as "F W 3". I.e. Footway 3.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 01:20:48 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2022, 07:15:09 AM »

The men putting the pole up said they couldn't understand it either, they assumed it was where Virgin are going to put something but I doubt it - already seen all the Virgin cabinet spots on roadworks.org and one is going right on the corner of my street.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2022, 03:27:18 PM »

I know it says "do not remove this sign" but I'm pretty sure this is in breach of the requirements to have the sign visible.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2022, 03:55:49 PM »

From what I can see here, are they running the fibre from the AGG over the new pole but the splitter is going to be beneath this pole or maybe even the end of the street where people are less likely to be parked?  That could kinda explain the ducting to nowhere.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9