Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)  (Read 24420 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Fibre First Rollout - Intake Exchange (Sheffield)
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2022, 06:01:32 PM »

Yes, I had the active order when I was originally moved to TTB on VDSL and also lost the backhaul listing off the portal later.

I seem to recall the latency was higher on TTB than BTW, though its all a bit hard to tell given there can be a 10ms delta between one PPP session and another, something which is somewhat annoying to be honest.  Although moving to FTTP has shaved 10ms off what I had before, which is why I was wondering if I was back on BTW as I didn't expect quite that much improvement.

After so many people saying it didn't make THAT much difference moving to FTTP, its a night/day difference for me.  Pages are loading much much quicker, some feel almost as quick as off my NAS, its somewhat surreal to be honest as I'd gotten used a few seconds stall between page loads.

Its especially notable sending files over my XMPP proxy to a friend in Texas.  Large file transfers would often fail and I'd see the the data transfer constantly stalling, tested a file earlier and the speed was very consistent, not stalling and a much larger file than usually works.

I expected to be a bit underwhelmed after 5G, but this is completely another level.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 07:08:11 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2022, 02:44:03 PM »

Hasn't the engineer put this a bit low?  Given where the fibre goes into the house, why would he put it this low - so he could put the splicer on the ground?

I'm rather concerned the council gardening service or even rats are going to cut the fibre.

I mean he put the ONT lower than I wanted too but that was my fault, I wasn't clear about where I wanted it and he hasn't left enough fibre indoors to move it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 02:47:20 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2022, 03:59:27 PM »

Hasn't the engineer put this a bit low?

Indeed, I would have thought that the logical location would be over the wall entry point so covering the "splintered" brick!
There is provision for rear fibre exit on the CSP.

However, on my FTTP install in March, in my case UG fed, the OR sub-contract installer did ask where I wanted the CSP mounted, I opted for over the entry hole which I had pre-drilled at about the same height as the illustration, he mentioned that a lot of residents prefer the CSP mounted as low as possible to be less visable and complain if it's too high on the wall.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2022, 04:18:19 PM »

Given what he did both indoors and outdoors, it seems he was making assumptions lower is better and I may have inadvertently given him the impression that's what I was thinking.

At one point he asked if I wanted him to use the same hole, as we'd just been talking about a hole I made for a CCTV camera I mistook him to mean that hole so said no, later on I realised he most likely meant the existing BT copper hole. That would have made a lot of sense and at least if he put the ONT too low then, there would have been a lot of spare fibre to re-route later.

Although my main concern is the outdoor part getting damaged.

I was just so anxious to "get it done" my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders.

I guess if it gets damaged, Openreach will just have to re-locate the CSP higher up the wall and when that happens maybe they will feed a bit more slack indoors (though there probably wouldn't be any spare if they had to use what was hanging to re-splice) while they're at it.  It certainly seems it would be silly to get this done proactively for something that may never happen, so will just have to live with it as it is.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:23:50 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2022, 12:51:22 AM »

Landline number moved to AAISP VoIP today and seems to be working fine.

I also asked Zen about what backhaul my connection is using and got a curious response.

We're not able to provide you with the information on the backhaul used as we're not privy to this information. We do have different suppliers we use, and how the service is provided to the property is managed and maintained by OpenReach which is a subsidiary of the BT Group.

Surely that's not right, they must know how the connection back to them is being provisioned?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2022, 07:23:53 AM »

Surely that's not right, they must know how the connection back to them is being provisioned?

It's utter nonsense.
It's provisioned how THEY order it. The CS rep just has no access to that data so is doing the usual nonsense of making crap up.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 04:15:17 PM by burakkucat »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2022, 04:03:17 PM »

Landline number moved to AAISP VoIP today and seems to be working fine.

That's good to know.

I also asked Zen about what backhaul my connection is using and got a curious response.

Quote from: a Zen numpty
We're not able to provide you with the information on the backhaul used as we're not privy to this information. We do have different suppliers we use, and how the service is provided to the property is managed and maintained by OpenReach which is a subsidiary of the BT Group.

Utter hogwash.

It's utter nonsense.
It's provisioned how THEY order it. The CS rep just has no access to that data so is doing the usual nonsense of making crap up.

As j0hn has already stated.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2022, 04:28:08 PM »

I think the next message will be directly to provisioning team instead.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]