Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: might be on the wrong IP profile for years...  (Read 6801 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: might be on the wrong IP profile for years...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »

Sounds like nonsense.

Unless they are now giving low level staff direct access to DLM resets I don't see how they can possibly fix that on an online chat.

No idea what 56 IP profile she is talking about either.

The product caps are 40/55/80 and the IP profiles are lower than the sync figures.

I expect such nonsense from the online chat team or phone support though.
The best way of dealing with this is the online community forum where the mods know what they are doing.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 07:01:53 PM »

Sounds like nonsense.

Just adding my agreement. A definite case of "hog wash".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dorzb

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »

Sounds like nonsense.

Unless they are now giving low level staff direct access to DLM resets I don't see how they can possibly fix that on an online chat.

No idea what 56 IP profile she is talking about either.

The product caps are 40/55/80 and the IP profiles are lower than the sync figures.

I expect such nonsense from the online chat team or phone support though.
The best way of dealing with this is the online community forum where the mods know what they are doing.

Spot on, it's still the same! I have asked for help from the BT forum mods

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »

I notice from the stats INP=3 and 8ms delay.  This suggests DLM has poked it's finger into the pie at some point.

IMHO there are 2 possibilities - neither being a stuck IPprofile.
1) Your line is wrongly provisioned at 40/10 instead of 55/10
2) DLM has capped you at 40Mbps which does seem rather harsh for such a short line with excellent line stats.

If BT would run a GEA test from the KBD tool it should give them an indication of which it is. They can then either arrange to reprovision you or arrange for a DLM reset.

The only thing to bear in mind is that a DLM reset will initially put you on INP3 for a short period, but it should at least hopefully remove any 40Mbps cap DLM may have applied.     

If it was me I'd be insisting they run a GEA test and showing me the results...  but BTr (unlike some other ISPs) for some reason seem a bit loathe to share this information with the consumer, but you can at least try.   

I'd definitely suggest you stop mentioning the IPprofile and just start saying 'capped at 40Mbps' and insisting you want this restriction removed as your line is capable of much higher speeds - proof of which is the 20.6dB SNR Margin.

Good luck.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »

PS.   Just read your thread over on the BT community forum.

I did cancel my TV package last month but I wouldn't expect that'd change my broadband package as well.

There is the possibility that they could have stuffed up when changing your package, which could have resulted in a reprovision at 40/10.
If it was reprovisioned, then that would explain why your linestats currently show INP3

I could be wrong, but it is increasingly looking like your line was downgraded to the Essential package when you cancelled your TV package.    INP3 is the default DLM profile when a line has either been (re)provisioned or after a DLM reset.

----
PPS

I also notice your thread over there has already caught the attention of imjolly.   
It may be worthwhile adding another post to that thread for his attention, where you mention you have posted over here on the kitz forum giving him this direct link  https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,23710.msg400827.html#msg400827

iirc he has the power to poke a relevant BT rep who will be able to check and if necessarily reprovision your line correctly.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:16:33 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

dorzb

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 11:12:56 AM »

I notice from the stats INP=3 and 8ms delay.  This suggests DLM has poked it's finger into the pie at some point.

IMHO there are 2 possibilities - neither being a stuck IPprofile.
1) Your line is wrongly provisioned at 40/10 instead of 55/10
2) DLM has capped you at 40Mbps which does seem rather harsh for such a short line with excellent line stats.

If BT would run a GEA test from the KBD tool it should give them an indication of which it is. They can then either arrange to reprovision you or arrange for a DLM reset.

The only thing to bear in mind is that a DLM reset will initially put you on INP3 for a short period, but it should at least hopefully remove any 40Mbps cap DLM may have applied.     

If it was me I'd be insisting they run a GEA test and showing me the results...  but BTr (unlike some other ISPs) for some reason seem a bit loathe to share this information with the consumer, but you can at least try.   

I'd definitely suggest you stop mentioning the IPprofile and just start saying 'capped at 40Mbps' and insisting you want this restriction removed as your line is capable of much higher speeds - proof of which is the 20.6dB SNR Margin.

Good luck.

Thanks very much Kitz, for such detailed comments. To be honest I'm not too bothered about being capped at 40mbps but I'd feel unfair if I have had paid for 56mbps but only have got a 40mbps service for the last two years. I called BT and mentioned my point, they asked me to prove that it's always 40mbps as I've never reported this problem before. So it does look like my own fault.

Anyway, I'm going to jump the boat after my contract expires, maybe to plusnet or talktalk 80/20. Would this restriction affect me when I switch to a new ISP if BT didn't remove it?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 11:20:06 AM »

I edited my above post with a PPS that must have occurred whilst you were making your above post.   I suggest you try that for now and hopefully it will at least get resolved fairly soon that way.

In response to your other question:    Yes moving to another ISP on a 80/20 package will cause a reprovision and therefore a subsequent reset and lifting of any caps.

-----

dorzb

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 03:17:30 PM »

PS.   Just read your thread over on the BT community forum.

There is the possibility that they could have stuffed up when changing your package, which could have resulted in a reprovision at 40/10.
If it was reprovisioned, then that would explain why your linestats currently show INP3

I could be wrong, but it is increasingly looking like your line was downgraded to the Essential package when you cancelled your TV package.    INP3 is the default DLM profile when a line has either been (re)provisioned or after a DLM reset.

----
PPS

I also notice your thread over there has already caught the attention of imjolly.   
It may be worthwhile adding another post to that thread for his attention, where you mention you have posted over here on the kitz forum giving him this direct link  https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,23710.msg400827.html#msg400827

iirc he has the power to poke a relevant BT rep who will be able to check and if necessarily reprovision your line correctly.

Hi kitz,
Yes imjolly already picked it up and managed to get a mod to contact me. I msg the mod and 2 hours later got a call from BT saying the restriction has been removed and it'd be effective overnight. So hopefully the speed should be back to 56/10 tomorrow.

Thanks again and I've learned a lot from your comments!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 04:50:20 PM »

. . . hopefully the speed should be back to 56/10 tomorrow.

Not 56/10 Mbps but 55/10 Mbps.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dorzb

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »

I edited my above post with a PPS that must have occurred whilst you were making your above post.   I suggest you try that for now and hopefully it will at least get resolved fairly soon that way.

In response to your other question:    Yes moving to another ISP on a 80/20 package will cause a reprovision and therefore a subsequent reset and lifting of any caps.

Hi kitz,
Just checked my line and the problem has been resolved now. Thanks very much!
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 50.73 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 10 Mbps

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 01:56:17 PM »

Excellent news.   Thanks for letting us know  :thumbs:

I strongly suspect that they inadvertently downgraded you when you cancelled your TV package.
The fact that your line had INP3 applied suggests that your line had recently been changed to another product.

Hopefully in a few weeks DLM will automatically remove that and you should get a wee bit more speed.   I'm guessing that with an IPprofile of 50.73 you will be syncing somewhere in the region of 52.4 Mbps.   Once the interleaving has been removed you should be able to get the full 55Mbps.  :) 
-----

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »

I'm guessing that with an IPprofile of 50.73 you will be syncing somewhere in the region of 52.4 Mbps.   Once the interleaving has been removed you should be able to get the full 55Mbps.  :)

I'd hope that's a full 55Mb sync.

Attainable Net Data Rate:     31.690 Mbps      102.526 Mbps

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 11:46:12 PM »

>> I'd hope that's a full 55Mb sync.

Should be.  But if his IP profile is 50.73 Mbps, then using the 96.8% calculation means it was based on a sync speed of ~ 52.4 Mbps.   

I'm assuming therefore that the line still had default INP3. Once the DLM removes that, it should take his sync up to the full 55.
-----

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 12:43:36 AM »

Even with INP the sync should hit the full 55Mb with an Attainable that high. It's over 100Mb.

They hit the 39,999 cap with INP 3.5 so I can't see why the line wouldn't be synced at 54,999 with INP on.

I'd guess an incorrect IP profile, lower than it should be.

That would make the IP profile around 92%.
If it is like other lines I've seen recently then the IP profile will drop to roughly 88% on retx high.

Could we see some stats?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 12:49:21 AM by j0hn »

dorzb

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »

Even with INP the sync should hit the full 55Mb with an Attainable that high. It's over 100Mb.

They hit the 39,999 cap with INP 3.5 so I can't see why the line wouldn't be synced at 54,999 with INP on.

I'd guess an incorrect IP profile, lower than it should be.

That would make the IP profile around 92%.
If it is like other lines I've seen recently then the IP profile will drop to roughly 88% on retx high.

Could we see some stats?

Sure John, will post it tonight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything