Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: any way to allow the HG612 modem to pass protocol 41  (Read 1559 times)

Pauljbl

any way to allow the HG612 modem to pass protocol 41
« on: August 06, 2019, 08:13:55 PM »

Hi
is there anyway to setup or modify the hg612 to allow passing of protocol 41?
I use mine as a modem/router setup i tried turning off the firewall and put my host in the DMZ zone to see if it would work but cant get any packets to ping a ipv6 server.
i am using a tunnel from hurricane electric.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: any way to allow the HG612 modem to pass protocol 41
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 08:28:49 PM »

I have to confess ignorance . . . I have no idea what protocol 41 provides or allows.  :-[
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 08:40:48 PM »

I too had no idea what protocol 41 was until I Googled it. Apparently it is an IPv6 tunneling protocol and as such I can't see that if the IPv6 frames are being encapsulated in IPv4 frames the HG612 would know anything about it.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 10:39:52 PM »

Hi

We use a lot of hg612 (but in bridge mode) with hurricane electric and have no issues at all

I would check your ipv6 gateway

Many thanks

John

Pauljbl

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »

Hi

We use a lot of hg612 (but in bridge mode) with hurricane electric and have no issues at all

I would check your ipv6 gateway

Many thanks

John

Hi
I am not using it in bridged mode I have it in router mode.  Will have to try it in bridged mode.  What router do you use with it?

[Moderator edited to remove many blank lines at the start of this post.]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:39:57 PM by burakkucat »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 08:42:15 PM »

Hi pauljbl

We always use drayteks (28 and 2900 series)

The ipv6 block from hurricane is always setup in router

Many thanks

John

Pauljbl

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 12:58:51 AM »

Hi pauljbl

We always use drayteks (28 and 2900 series)

The ipv6 block from hurricane is always setup in router

Many thanks

John
Hi
Could you tell me what settings I need to have on my hg612 to put into bridge mode as currently in router mode. Maybe screenshots of the settings

Thanks
Paul

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 05:02:17 AM »

> have to confess ignorance . . . I have no idea what protocol 41 provides or allows.  :-[

As liquorice says, IP protocol 41 is a mechanism that allows the transmission of IPv6 packets over IPv4-only networks, onwards to an IPv6-speaking far-end network, which could be the entire IPv6 Internet. IP protocol41 thus allows IPv6 traffic to be carried over networks that contain routers that don’t understand IPv6 addresses by simply hiding it.

IPv6 packets are just sent straight inside an IPv4 packet with just an IPv4 header, and nothing else at all, not even a UTP header. It’s a very basic non-encrypted tunnel.

I unfortunately have to use proto41 when my Firebricks are conversing with AA during 3G-failover mode, because the 4G/3G carrier networks that AA uses to connect me on Three to AA do not speak IPv6 yet. IPv6 is always ‘coming soon’ - their excuses to AA. For me this means the cost of 20 extra bytes wasted per IPv6 packet, wastage in the form of the initial IPv4 packet and which I had to allow for with a reduced IPv6 MTU, which is a damned nuisance. The AA routers for example and my FB2700 just add/subtract the proto41 IPv4 header according to static config (without the addition of some further autoconfig to provide the dest address needed), and, given that address, it all simply works. It all has to be about the most basic IPv6-‘in/over’-IPv4 transition mechanism there is.

The dest IPv4 address will be that of a preset partnering router, which is parked on the boundary between an IPv4 network and an IPv6+4 network. That router will peel off the IPv4 protocol 41 headers leaving a straight IPv6 packet which is then sent on its way to the IPv6 dest address contained in the packet.

There are a ridiculously huge number of such translation or ‘transition’ mechanisms, all with confusingly similar sounding names; need a program to pick out the prepositions used in the name and turn the whole thing into an English explanation. Other transition mechanisms have various more sophisticated tricks, such as being able to automatically work out what are the values of destination IP address from stuff encoded in the packets somewhere. They may feature more or less auto config/zeroconfig and may or may not be more flexible/more restricted in their addressing capabilities which might be a good/bad thing.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 09:08:06 PM »

Could you tell me what settings I need to have on my hg612 to put into bridge mode as currently in router mode. Maybe screenshots of the settings

Just give the reset button a long-push (press and hold it for, say, 20 seconds). That will revert the HG612 back to its default, bridge mode.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.