Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ESXi restoration  (Read 1216 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
ESXi restoration
« on: August 05, 2019, 09:51:12 PM »

So, I've had a server die on me: motherboard or CPU are toast. There are several VMs residing on the storage, which is healthy.

I reckon I can just move those to a new host and, as long as the resources are there, it should work, though perhaps with some non-critical complaints as it notes the different hardware.

Anyone done this?

The VMs themselves are stored in an easy to obtain format anyway so if need be I can easily import them to a new host, it's just... bovvered?

flilot

Re: ESXi restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »

Easiest solution would be to obtain the exact same motherboard and CPU (even second hand if needs be) and transplant them into the existing server, then your system should boot right up with no issues (as long as the BIOS/EFI settings are roughly the same - they may need some tweaking if not).

If that's not possible, then putting the drive into different hardware *may* work, it *may* boot, note the new hardware and go about installing any drivers it needs (and ask you to supply ones it can't find).  However in my experience it is *never* that straightforward, particularly if the new hardware is much newer in age or a completely different chipset on the motherboard etc. In those cases getting it to try and boot from an existing installation will usually result in frustration. A new installation on the different hardware would be the way to go in that case and copy the existing VMs across once installed.
Carl

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »

I have just transferred media straight over into a new system. No problems at all. The only issue I can think of is - in WinNT - SIDS being different, stuff that refers to the MAC address if the NIC, which will have changed. I doubt you’re going to find anything relevant anyway though, especially as there are VMs.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 04:11:37 PM »

Based on my experience expect this.

ESXi itself reinstall with the hdd's connected to storage.

It should detect the drives have the VMFS filesystem, and choose to install preserving the filesystem.

When I did this I still had to manually mount the filesystems in the UI, but once done it was persistent across reboots.

Once this is done you need to import each virtual machine manually.  Once imported, if the path has changed to the datastores you will need to configure each virtual storage within each VM, point it to the VMDK files.  Also make sure the Virtual networking is assigned to the appropriate physical NIC.

When you first start the imported VM you may be prompted about the import, choose the option that clearly states it is "not" a copy, then things like the MAC for the virtual NIC will be preserved.

Changing things like board vendor ESXi is fairly tolerant, when I migrated my ESXi from intel i5 750 platform to AMD ryzen 2000 platform, Most of my VM's once fired up "just worked" even the windows VM.  The reason been although the physical hardware has changed, the emulated hardware is the same, the only component that changes is the CPU really due to the passthru but intel/AMD are both built on the same feature sets so shouldnt be compatibility issues.

So the gotchas are the drives needing to possibly be reassigned to their VM's, and NIC MAC addressing if you select the "copied" option by mistake on VM startup. 

If you got an exotic virtual switch configuration that will likely need to be reconfigured as well, essentially VM's themselves and their storage should be intact but any configuration outside of them not.

anything