Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach G.fast overbuilds  (Read 2422 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Openreach G.fast overbuilds
« on: August 05, 2019, 09:37:36 PM »

On the availability checker have a look at LS27 9PX - say #11.

It has both clean and impacted 330/50 G.fast ranges.

Openreach are currently building FTTP to it.

This is an increasingly common occurrence. The amount of overlapping premises grows daily.

TL;DR just because you've a G.fast pod don't think that FTTP is going to be delayed. The pod serving cabinet 44 and the premises above was installed less than 18 months ago and is already being obsoleted.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach G.fast overbuilds
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 12:32:37 PM »

Similar story in Edinburgh.
G.Fast on a number of exchanges, now Fibre First being rolled out at a ridiculous rate.

Neither for me from OpenReach.
Although I have Virgin coming in the coming months, which I never thought I'd see in this area.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:26:31 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 05:50:41 PM »

Seem to be making live the cabinet that serves here - strange what media attention will do: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/07/the-curious-case-of-hunslet-82-g-fast-pod-waits-3-years-to-go-live.html

What a complete waste of time. The area has Virgin Media already with CityFibre / Vodafone on the way soon.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 08:35:32 PM »

Very interesting. Just need to wait until FTTP confirmed for my area. I'm in Wales, but not in Cardiff or Swansea (but am in the South and not in a rural location), so hopefully we shouldn't be too far down lists.

Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 02:25:48 AM »

To be honest, given the fact FTTC at my cabinet was BDUK funded I wasn't expecting it to be viable for G.fast in the first place. Though it must have been, and I am pretty sure the FTTC cabinet has hit max capacity at least once (unless it was some weird database error).

I'm in no rush for FTTP, and I don't think OR would be in a rush to do it here anyway. G.fast has been very, very reliable and stable for me; the horror stories floating around do not represent my experience, which has been virtually flawless.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 06:17:17 AM »

Whilst we don't have G.fast we do have fttc and virgin, we have also just been announced as a fibre first area with the build starting in the next three months.

This is great news as it will give me a high speed alternative to VM who keep increasing their prices, currently I have no alternative for a decent high speed connection, which makes haggling over the price difficult.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 01:55:18 AM »

I'm guessing Openreach are stepping up their game due to impending 5G which could seriously cut into their business.  I can already get on 4G from O2 just as fast as both of my VDSL lines combined, though granted the data cost makes it impractical for real-world use.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 01:16:12 PM »

Not in Leicester city.  There must be some serious hurdles for them here for them to find small towns and villages more viable.

We only got FTTC after I contacted Patricia Hewitt (she was board member of BT and my MP).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:20:23 PM by Chrysalis »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 07:02:40 PM »

To be honest, given the fact FTTC at my cabinet was BDUK funded I wasn't expecting it to be viable for G.fast in the first place. Though it must have been, and I am pretty sure the FTTC cabinet has hit max capacity at least once (unless it was some weird database error).

I'm in no rush for FTTP, and I don't think OR would be in a rush to do it here anyway. G.fast has been very, very reliable and stable for me; the horror stories floating around do not represent my experience, which has been virtually flawless.

Lucky you! Way too far away for G.Fast.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox