Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPadOS 13  (Read 2662 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iPadOS 13
« on: September 27, 2019, 08:46:19 PM »

I have foolishly ‘upgraded’ to iOS 13 and now I cannot download files from the web in Safari; I clicked on a url to a .bz2 file and it prompts me then just nothing happens. I was expecting to be able to choose a download target to save it, such as in Documents

Mind you, there are a lot of improvements in Safari 13:

the text size is no longer outrageously huge in landscape mode on my iPad Pro largest screen model 12" or whatever it is. I’ve had to remove some screen size tweaks that I put in place just to work around this before

It seems to me that if the settings are chosen appropriately then one can prevent stupid ‘mobile’ appearance modes shown by some websites, which think this might be an iPhone or such. The appearance of web pages, for me, now looks like any normal web browser on a decent sized monitor.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:14:03 PM by Weaver »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: iPadOS 13
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:28:34 PM »

You’re a braver man than me Weaver, trying a new version of software (any vendor, not just Apple)  without waiting a few weeks/months to hear, from others, what harm it might cause.

But thanks, a useful review. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: iPadOS 13
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 11:23:03 PM »

As I said, I was very foolish. I’ve no idea what I was thinking of. There are often problems with iOS new releases.

In fact there is now a x.1 emergency fix issued since I downloaded iPadOS 13.1.

One of my Shortcuts routines started misbehaving logic errors meaning I had to fix some code by hand. I suspect that Spple may be converting older Shortcuts routines into some new format, as certainly the code appears very different, with a compact and greatly enhanced presentation in the UI. Before lots of assignments to named variables were used from the single ‘accumulator’-like ‘current-value’ that Shortcuts 12 maintained. Now it can accomplish an assignment statement in one line of displayed UI code, rather than saying "fetch r0 from something" then followed by "store r0 into dest" I’m not sure if it is actually true that code has been put through some sort of internal conversion process into new operations or whether the code in the routines is actually the same but just presented in a different way. I’m not sure it would be practical as what would happen if you had an ios13 and an ios12 machine all accessing routines in the same iCloud space ? If they were being converted then the older o/s machine would be stuffed the moment the conversion had been run.

The new shortcuts UI good but bewildering until you get used to it. I will have to write a few short routines just to get used to it as currently it’s so disorienting that I will have a real job carrying out any maintenance.

Looking at the text in this multi line edit box, the text looks about half the size I am used to. Another good thing. I’m able to enlarge it anyway if need be.