Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Panasonic ‘TZ’ series cameras  (Read 3922 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Panasonic ‘TZ’ series cameras
« on: August 01, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »

I recently treated myself to a Panasonic TZ100.   I haven’t yet had the chance to use it much, but initial experiments suggest it is a great little camera.   I’d be happy to provide a more detailed ‘review’ for Kitz forums, if anybody cares to encourage me? :)

Meanwhile, I have one small reservation and I suspect this also applies to other recent ‘TZ’ series from about TZ60 onwards....  It charges via USB, the socket for which is concealed behind a rather awkward and clumsy little plastic door, that’s quite injurious to any finger nail used to prise it open.   I can’t help thinking that in regular use, with repeated charge cycles, that little door will be a bit vulnerable to damage, even if my finger nails haven’t given up and stopped regrowing.

Just curious, if other TZ owners can shed any light on the above issue?   Does the plastic door stand up to use over time?   :-\

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Panasonic ‘TZ’ series cameras
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:36:16 AM »

Had a couple of TZs over a number of years, never had a problem with the door.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 11:46:14 AM »

Thanks, I’m sometimes told I worry too much. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 12:32:57 PM »

I've got a TZ60, and for a pocket camera I think it's excellent. I see the TZ100 has a larger sensor, which is a big improvement. I agree that the USB socket is a bit fiddly, but it's stood the test of time for me.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 01:02:37 PM »

Yes, it was the larger sensor that sold itself to me.  The main price you pay is a shorter zoom, but x10 is still good enough for me.

Also, for the larger sensor, the lens needs to be physically larger.  Not so much you’d really notice at a glance when it’s collapsed, but enough that it was tricky to find a close-fitting case that was deep enough, without being oversized in other dimensions.   For the time being, I have resorted to modifying a semi-rigid plastic case intended for the smaller TZs, using a hot air gun to deform it to fit my TZ100!

Thanks again for putting mind to rest re that door. :)

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »

I have the TZ70 and the little door is as snappy as the day I got it.

I use it infrequently and between uses I completely forget how to operate it! :-[ As a result some of my shots are not as good as I'd like, but it is a good camera and I find it particularly comfortable to grip.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 03:48:58 PM by vic0239 »
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 03:27:10 PM »

I have the TZ70 and the little door is a snappy as the day I got it.

I use it infrequently and between uses I completely forget how to operate it! :-[ As a result some of my shots are not as good as I'd like, but it is a good camera and I find it particularly comfortable grip.

Thanks again. :)

Re grip... that’s another criticism of tz100, it’s smooth metal and not that good, I’ve heard earlier (and later) TZs are better.    I’ve read of people sticking bits of velcro and the likes on to improve it, but seems a shame to deface a pristine new toy.

Yes, easy to forget how to operate it, and I don’t find the menus terribly intuitive.     I have set up a ‘custom’ mode, which saves all my chosen settings, and resumes them in a consistent state whenever I select that mode, or power cycle the camera.  All well and good, but if my custom mode got somehow lost or corrupted, it would probably take me ages to set it back again, and to remember all the things I’ve changed from defaults.   Probably showing my age. :D

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 11:37:10 AM »

I've got a TZ70 as well, replacing my previous "coat pocket camera" that died of old age.  Very happy with the performance, and although it has a relatively small sensor (1/2.3") then to some extent that's offset by a relatively low pixel count.  There's also the advantage that it's images fall within Google's "high quality" definition.   The charging cable is a bit of a pain, being some sort of special USB variant whose name I don't even know, so when I wanted a spare I had to go looking for "Lumix charging cable".

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »

Charging cable on my tz100 is one of the micro-usb types.

I actually bought this cable as I wanted to be able to connect it to a USB-C on my iMac.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EZTETTY

Still very pleased with mine.   I knew the range had a good reputation, and seems it is well earned. :)

Some aspects of the interface seem a bit clunky/buggy, but nothing too serious.   One thing I do notice is that auto white balance is unreliable, often somewhat cold.    That does not worry me in the slightest as I do my own raw processing, wherein white balance can be completely reset.   But for less technically inclined photographers, it might sometimes be a small issue.