Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New BT Social tariff: “Home Essentials” to replace "BT Basic"  (Read 2064 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen

BT announced this several days ago and I thought it might interest some here.

BT Basic is to be replaced with a new tariff called Home Essentials which will launch in June.

Eligibility has also been extended to all customers on Universal Credit (an additional 3m people) meaning it will cover 4.6m households across the UK.

It will offer two options:

For £15/month: a 40/10 FTTC/FTTP line and 700 minutes of voice calls included; or
For £20/month: a 80/20 FTTC/FTTP line with unlimited voice calls included;

Both tariffs come with offer unlimited data.

As well as Universal credit, the following means-tested benefits also qualify:
Guarantee credit element of pension credit;
Jobseeker's allowance;
Income support; and
Employment and support allowance.

More details at:

https://newsroom.bt.com/low-cost-fibre-connectivity-for-people-who-need-it-most-is-critical-to-building-back-better/
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/05/isp-bt-to-launch-cheap-new-uk-fibre-broadband-social-tariff.html
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/05/bt-fibre-broadband-deal-low-income-benefits/

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: New BT Social tariff: “Home Essentials” to replace "BT Basic"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 01:58:57 AM »

BT Basic broadband was a bloody joke with its tiny data cap, I never saw the announcement they had removed that cap.

That's still nearly three times the cost of BT Basic line-only though for the basic package, which kinda sucks for people who end up on it for VoIP only.

Still if you look at it in reverse, you're basically getting broadband for less than the normal line rental cost these days.

I wonder if this means they will revoke the existing BT Basic line-only package and how does that work when I have Zen broadband already on that line?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 02:07:30 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: New BT Social tariff: “Home Essentials” to replace "BT Basic"
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 02:39:04 AM »

I wonder if this means they will revoke the existing BT Basic line-only package and how does that work when I have Zen broadband already on that line?

ISPreview quote BT as saying

BT Home Essentials will replace BT Basic for new or upgrading customers

So I assume you will be grandfathered until you make a change to your line.