Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Openreach Unveil 36 New UK Areas for FTTP Ultrafast Broadband  (Read 7028 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/07/openreach-unveil-36-new-uk-areas-for-fttp-ultrafast-broadband.html

Network access provider Openreach (BT) has today announced that their multi-billion pound “Fibre First” rollout of Gigabit capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband ISP technology will – over the next 12 months – be reaching parts of an additional 36 new locations across the UK (total now 74).

I wonder how some of the smaller places are chosen. I know both Bury and Stockport have a reputation for being wealthy areas. But I think they are mainly residential areas. So I wonder why these, and others, are chosen before other places? Is there some sort of criteria OR are using to select the areas that most fit?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

fat jez

Re: Openreach Unveil 36 New UK Areas for FTTP Ultrafast Broadband
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »

Probably areas where Virgin Media have a foot hold and BT can’t compete on their existing offerings.
Zen G.fast 330/50

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 12:37:00 PM »

Political influence can also have an effect, the early VDSL2 rollout stunk of it.  On VDSL2 wealthy Leicestershire villages got it years before the densely populated city.

Looking at the places announced in the article, the cities initially announced is likely on standard commercial criteria. On population size I believe they all large cities.

Code: [Select]
February 2018 1. Birmingham 5. Leeds 2. Bristol 6. Liverpool 3. Cardiff 7. London 4. Edinburgh 8. Manchester
But what has come after that is less clear.

The only other 2 midlands cities.

Code: [Select]
October 2018 11. Coventry
November 2018 12. Nottingham

That would appear as if someone put a map of the midlands up on the wall and threw two darts, their placings been the winners.

Coventry does have a live cityfibre rollout tho.  Nottingham however does not it is planned same as Leics and Derby who are both not in openreach plans.  Also note that Peterborough has live cityfibre and "not" in openreach plans.

So probably some internal metrics, or perhaps Nottingham council have paid openreach some money to help them make a decision.

Also in regards to cityfibre in my area, there is now a difference between a city centre postcode and mine on checker.  (mine used to be yellow)

My postcode

GREEN Circle tickbox

It looks like you’re very close to our network.

Please register your details and one of our partners will be in touch with more information on products, pricing and timescales.

City centre Postcode

YELLOW Circle tick box  (suggesting not as good?)

It looks like you’re not far from our network.

Please register your details below and one of our partners will be in touch soon.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:03:11 PM by Chrysalis »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 08:54:57 AM »

I notice areas in Thanet (Broadstairs Ramsgate Margate) are inlcuded now, just when Virgin Media have completed their installation. So now BTOR will be digging up our streets in addition to Southern Water and Southern Gas Networks!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

flilot

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:09:56 AM »

So now BTOR will be digging up our streets in addition to Southern Water and Southern Gas Networks!

A few roadworks are a small price to pay for future excellent connectivity.

Currently half of my city (Coventry) is being dug up by CityFibre and the roadworks are causing traffic chaos in places, but I happily sit in these temporary jams with a smile on my face, knowing a viable cheaper, full fibre alternative to VM and OR is being installed and will be available to me soon.
Carl

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 09:26:36 AM »

Lots of roads being dug up around the county, some roads simply closed for months on end.   Usually a result of service installation, from water to gas to fibre.

I actually suspect the councils deliberately set a low bar to applications from utilities that disrupt car journeys, maybe thinking it will be environmentally beneficial, encouraging people to cycle or use public transport?   

Trouble is, most non-leisure journeys are inappropriate to cycle - too far, or too much to carry.   And we can’t use public transport because they’ve withdrawn the bus services (spent the budget on cycle lanes?). 

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »

Interesting as this ISP Exascale (Telford) are planning to roll out phase 1 and phase 2 in Telford area here: https://www.exascale.co.uk/solutions/networks/full-fibre-broadband/

But hope it will roll out to my area one day (cuckoo oak area)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 10:31:17 AM »

I notice areas in Thanet (Broadstairs Ramsgate Margate) are inlcuded now, just when Virgin Media have completed their installation. So now BTOR will be digging up our streets in addition to Southern Water and Southern Gas Networks!

Stuart

Now I am excited, Broadstairs and Ramsgate are included and starting in the next three months - Margate isn't, select Thanet on the drop down on the map here https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first/

As one who has to travel to work every day I'm willing to put up with the road works, possibly come renewal time next year I can get FTTP.

Do feel this is a little wrong though as we can get reliable high speed broadband already.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

fat jez

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 11:31:24 AM »

OR are rolling out FTTP to areas not explicitly stated on their website. The OR who did my g.fast install last week mentioned they were upgrading a village a few miles away, but there’s no mention of that on their list of locations.
Zen G.fast 330/50

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »

The locations listed are only those that are part of their commercial Fibre First programme.

Any FTTP only new build sites or any BDUK (state funded) FTTP isn't listed.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 10:13:57 PM »

A few roadworks are a small price to pay for future excellent connectivity.

The issue here is it's not a few. Huge disruption and bus routes badly affected, been going on now for 2 years and unlikely to finish the current works cor at least 6 months more.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 08:02:49 AM »

Think I found a reseller that is doing orders.

Great news, Giganet can guarantee broadband speeds of 1Gb/s for you at XXXXXXXX

Business only tho, they sell residential, but says no packages for residential.

---

I just noticed giganet now says available right now at my address, and will accept an order, giganet sell residential and business services, but oddly their checker says 0 residential packages, but 12 business.

The problem with business is obviously it will be priced much higher, especially installation as cityfibre business is done akin to FTTPoD.

£249 month PLUS vat 500/500
£299 month PLUS vat 1000/1000

Both packages £50 off with promo deal.

312mbit/sec SLA on throughput

3 year contract

No install fee quoted.

They are refusing to offer their residential packages which start at £44 month for FTTP.

If this was 10 years back, maybe even 5 years back when I was obsessed with broadband spec, I probably would have paid the £300 month.  Now it is probably not, my VDSL would have to have a very severe deterioration in line performance/stability for me to pay that price, I guess my priorities changed somewhat.

I feel if openreach announced the area, residential packages would perhaps magically appear, but I suspect those wont be offered without fibre infill.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:15:09 AM by Chrysalis »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 03:45:34 PM »

The Giganet residential products are available through Openreach, not CityFibre.

https://www.giga.net.uk/locations/

Giganet Local

Giganet Local is where we have unbundled the local Openreach exchange in the town or city. This gives us direct access to the local fibre infrastructure removing middlemen operators, ensuring faster lead times and fault resolutions. It also allows us to operate first-mover advantage to newer Openreach products such as FTTP, G.Fast and the upcoming SOGEA.

No residential products available via CityFibre besides the resellers already in Bournemouth and Vodafone elsewhere.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »

The Giganet residential products are available through Openreach, not CityFibre.

https://www.giga.net.uk/locations/

No residential products available via CityFibre besides the resellers already in Bournemouth and Vodafone elsewhere.

Not available at my property only saying ADSL2+ but they will not selling it to residential. LOL

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 04:16:24 PM »

Giganet Local is where we have unbundled the local Openreach exchange in the town or city.

Your pretty small exchange isn't going to be a priority for a small company like this. The exchange your FTTC goes through, Wellington, evidently isn't either.
Pages: [1] 2

anything