Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firebrick router - ‘Lets encrypt’ TLS certificate expiry email  (Read 1257 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

I had a software upgrade to my FB2700 router and now I keep getting these incomprehensible emails. Something to do with SSL/TLS certificates that the Firebrick is using as part of the new https: admin login via it’s built-in web server admin interface now, a new feature, instead of plain old http: login.

From what I can make out, there is some check of <something - but who knows what> that is supposed to be carried out. Why? And why hasn’t this already been done? And why doesn’t AA just handle this and make it go away?

I don’t know what the cert is supposed to guarantee to the user, guarantee that the traffic has not been redirected to somewhere evil? I don’t understand what kind of guarantee could be made available. Someone can check that I actually am at the IP address that I’m supposed to be at according to the domain name of the web server = my Firebrick in this case. You just need to do a DNS lookup for my brick properly and make sure that you are not getting conned in the process. And there are several ways of doing that. You could use your own LAN that is not evil and then use encrypted pipes to trusted respected DNS providers or otherwise do all of the DNS lookup yourself the hard way, ‘from first principles’ if you like, not trusting other servers but just going straight to the authoritative DNS servers concerned, one by one as required, and trusting no one else.

From what I can make out, the brick or a let’s encrypt server is trying to communicate with <?someone> and I have a feeling that my Firebrick, being a firewall and a good one at that is if course preventing this activity because it’s something I’ve never heard of and it’s a security threat.

Thinking back years ago. I have had to prove to other servers that I am me - the person they talked to, or emailed and had a conversation with - and sometimes people want to see proof that I am in control of or am the sysadmin of some domain or web server or something. So the kind of things that I have done in the past are: putting an extra funny-looking record in the DNS which people can find if they go digging for it, while ordinary visitors will never see anything different as they won’t know to go looking; creating a file with a funny name on a web server in a certain place with a special ‘well-known’ name. Just seeing that the file now exists shows that I myself have the power to administer that web server. The first method is better because you can alway use it as long as you have control over your own DNS and you do not have to be running a web server - you might well not be, it might be any kind of server, an email server or who knows what.

In Let’s Encrypt’s website I saw something about validating <something don’t know what or why> using something that sounds like the funny DNS record method. If it turns out that for some reason I need to do something here <what? Why?>, then DNS would make sense as there’s no issue about firewalls doing their job and preventing mysterious conversations from taking place, a conversation that perhaps is something that Letsencrypt desires, but I do not.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 02:37:32 PM by Weaver »

d2d4j

• Kitizen

Hi weaver

I would consider that it is warning you the certs are not trusted or expired or both.

Usually though, these are self generated certs which are always untrusted

You should be able to always trust in your browser

I could be wrong entirely though as your not very clear sorry

Many thanks

John

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Like John I do not fully understand the problem but, as it started after you installed a software update to your FB2700, I will suggest that you either ask Firebrick Support (which will probably point you to your supplier) or Adrian Kennard as to "what's what" with that new software update.

(I know that with the current FB2900 there is something pre-configured to do something the certificates and thingys.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:44:24 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

hopkins35

When configured, the Firebrick hosts a couple of files on its internal webserver for re-issuing of your letsencrypt HTTPS certificate, the letsencrypt service requires HTTP (80) access to your Brick to verify the presence of these files before it will issue you a new certificate which the Brick will then automatically apply.

If your firewall rules prevent or restrict HTTP access to the Brick then the process will fail. Personally I allow all HTTP/S access to my brick but lock down my user access by IP address to allow AAISP support access and because I normally access it locally or via my VPN

andrew-AAISP

• ISP Rep
    • aa.net.uk

Weaver, did you contact our support? If not, then do get in touch and we can figure it out with you.
A&A