Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wife's IPad won't send emails  (Read 5982 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Wife's IPad won't send emails
« on: July 26, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »

Her IPad is set to send emails from her plusnet mailbox via our Thunderbird client, but they never get beyond the IPad's outbox. All details and settings on the IPad agree with Thunderbird/Plusnet, so I'm stumped, why she cannot send.

Have we some one here, please, who is well knowligible with all features, who can advise me?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Wife's IPad won't send emails
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 01:30:51 PM »

I have an iPad.

I’m a bit confused, perhaps you could clarify, is there a version of Thunderbird now that runs on the iPad? That’s on a Mac or Linux box or Windows box?

I just use the standard crappy Apple mail app that comes in the box.  :blush: ???

I’ll help if I can.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Why-relay-plus-net-doesn-t-work-but-smtp-plus-net-does/td-p/1451846

So it looks like it isn’t happy with the SMTP settings that you have.

I have all the settings declared in the main apple settings control panel - not inside the mail app itself. In the ‘Passwords and Accounts’ page of the Settings app, I have a list of various objects which you can create / add or delete. One says iCloud, the second in my case is one object which I created and it is entitled ‘AA Email’. (This is because my ISP Andrews and Arnold now also handles my email too as well as providing internet access. It used to be different; I had a shoestring small company ‘UKServers’ who handled my email but they either retired or got swallowed up or something but anyway they were eaten up by someone I have never heard of and I was not st all impressed so I hurriedly moved my stuff to AA.) This object contains (i) the settings for incoming mail/checking / accessing your mailbox on the inbound mail server, and (ii) the magic runes for sending mail which is for some reason done through an outbound mail server, called an SMTP server. Despite the rather confusing titles, the SMTP server settings are in there if you dig and that is for sending email so that s what you want to look at. I presume that you’ve already been through all of this anyway though?

I found this :

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/ios-setup/

https://www.imore.com/troubleshoot-email-problems-ipad

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Can-t-send-email-on-iPad-IOS-12/td-p/1585381

I also read this :
https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Secured-SMTP-communicaton-any-chance-to-get-SSL-TLS-STARTTLS/td-p/1499034

No encryption when you are sending email, and it is going out from your iPad to their outbound mail ‘SMTP’ server. That’s very uncool because you might be on an untrusted wireless LAN such as in a public place.

If you’re not happy with that idea then you could use someone else to handle your mail, it doesn’t have to be anything to do with your ISP, and it’s probably better in some respects to keep the two separate, in case you change ISP.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:56:50 PM by Weaver »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 03:40:29 PM »

Weaver. I'll read your post carefully later. No, Thunderbird is not on the IPad, only on my Windows system as the email client.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 06:06:45 PM »

Her IPad is set to send emails from her plusnet mailbox via our Thunderbird client

... above confuses me too.

Whilst Thunderbird may be the client used on windows, I would not expect Thunderbird to have any relevance to iOS, which has its own email client.    I think you probably need to simply forget about Thunderbird when configuring iOS, and just configure it as instructed in the links posted by Weaver.

I see the Plusnet instructions in Weaver’s link indicates a default to IMAP, which I’d agree with, use IMAP.    However, once iOS mail is working, you might need to revisit the Thunderbird configuration on Windows, to make sure that is also using IMAP, otherwise you may find mail fails to show up the same on both clients.   Emphasise though, get iOS working first, before thinking about changing anything on Windows.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 06:47:24 PM »

SLM Sorry; I realise wht you're saying, but I put all the info in, as too often failure can be  berated (Not here of course). :-[

Of course it being the wife's, I have to wait for her to give me access; not that easy as she is glued to it, a grandson being at the World Scout Jamboree in the States incl trips to Mexico and Canada.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 06:52:17 PM by renluop »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 07:04:27 PM »

Hi renulop

I would most likely delete the account from iPad and set it up again from scratch.

If you know the correct details, and your MX record point to plus net mail servers, then all you need is username and password

If still failing to send, I would first set to no encryption port 25, test then set to SSL 25, then TLS 25, if not working change port to 587

Plus net may use different ports but unlikely as defaults are preferred

Many thanks

John

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 07:34:15 PM »

I was a PlusNet customer and as far as I recall they do not have any encrypted e-mail service. Since leaving them I use GMX for my e-mail.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 07:36:09 AM »

@RAM That is so.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 08:04:57 AM »

Hi renulop

I would most likely delete the account from iPad and set it up again from scratch.

If you know the correct details, and your MX record point to plus net mail servers, then all you need is username and password

If still failing to send, I would first set to no encryption port 25, test then set to SSL 25, then TLS 25, if not working change port to 587

Plus net may use different ports but unlikely as defaults are preferred

Many thanks

John
I am a rabbit at things like this. I have a number of accounts under renluop.plus.com. From your post should I find a record for each? Where is it and how do I view it? :-[

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 08:18:11 AM »

If you want to experiment before changing anything on the iPad, you could use the DSLstats Alerts configuration to check your settings. Just fill in the details requested, using your own email address in the "Send email to" line, and your wife's details in the other fields, then press the Test button. If it works, then the details are correct, if not it will tell you, and no harm is done.

More explanation here: http://dslstats.me.uk/alerts.html
  Eric

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 09:29:04 AM »

BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 09:40:23 AM »

If you want to experiment before changing anything on the iPad, you could use the DSLstats Alerts configuration to check your settings. Just fill in the details requested, using your own email address in the "Send email to" line, and your wife's details in the other fields, then press the Test button. If it works, then the details are correct, if not it will tell you, and no harm is done.

More explanation here: http://dslstats.me.uk/alerts.html
It worked, semder being another of my PN accounts as sender. Is that sufficient?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »

Is this relevant at all - https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Can-t-send-email-on-iPad-IOS-12/td-p/1585381 ?
 :)
Thanks! I have that link to follow up, Erin Dors allowing.