Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Heat  (Read 1061 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Heat
« on: July 25, 2019, 08:36:44 PM »

It is too hot here today. Janet says that it was 28 degrees outside and that I was better off because - as always - my bedroom windows’ blinds are closed and all the windows themselves are also closed. Janet suggests this is ‘keeping the outside heat out’. There is no blind in the bathroom window so that window - which too is closed - could be a greenhouse, surely. I have a very large window facing west in the landing and the curtains are drawn over that. Maybe it’s now best to open all the windows over night and let every thing cool down as much as possible, even try and get some breeze.

The temperature is not helping my pain at all.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Heat
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »

Currently 31 degrees Celsius outdoors and 29 degrees Celsius indoors, at "The Cattery", BSE.  :phew:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 09:26:15 PM »

Got up to the high thirties celsius here.   Still somewhat short of our first summer, 2003, when istr it broke 100f.   :o

Today, I have followed the rules.   I closed all the curtains and all the windows at sunrise.   I have a few thermometers around the place that show their own temperatures, as well as that of an outdoor one in a spot behind the shed, in permanent shade.   It worked, indoor temps remained several degrees below outdoors, all day.  :graduate:

Only thing was, I had to go out at lunchtime.   Ten minutes in the car, with aircon was such bliss.  I’m afraid I followed it up by another 90mins round trip to a diy store, on the feeblest of excuses, but heck - it was nice in that car.  Until you reached destination, and had to open the door. :D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 09:56:59 PM »

I was wondering how others were going on with this heat.

I recently bought quite a few temperature meters to put in different rooms. If I didn't have the portable air conditioner in my room it would have been above 30c. With the aircon on, and the dyson bladeless fans going, I can get it down to 24c.

I think because the house as had insulation put it years ago it seems to get a lot warmer indoors than it does outside.

I'll have to buy some heavy blinds to see if i can block the heat coming in.

P.S. dysons bladeless fan doesnt reduce room temps.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 10:23:00 PM »

Back in 2003 I remember seeing the burned grass down in England. I went down to Aberystwyth for a Celtic studies conference and then straight away off to Cambridge for a linguistics conference and the heat in England was scary. You could only walk a few hundred metres outside before starting to feel faint. Back then it was fine in Skye though, not too uncomfortably hot at all. We spent the entire summer of 2003 in a house on the seashore because in our own house a fire had caused a huge amount of smoke damage. The fire broke out while I was in hospital on the Mainland and we were out of our home for five months while remedial work was carried out. I would have expected it to be to warm so low down, at sea level, without the cool breezes that I would get back at home due to the (greatest) altitude. But perhaps the proximity to the cold sea made a difference.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 10:39:18 PM »

Talking of fans, I had a couple of these reciprocating tower fans for a while.   Bought in Costco.   Yes, agreed they don’t cool the room, but they serve a purpose.

After a few weeks, one went dead.   Post mortem analysis revealed cause of death to be a fractured conductor in the mains lead, inside the unit.   The design simply ‘spiralled’ the mains lead inside the unit to allow oscillation,  and constant coiling/uncoiling of the spiral had taken its toll.

More worryingly, a bit of google research revealed that this type of fan (all brands)  was banned in many NHS regions, the same failure-mode having led to arcing that started more than one fire.   That was at least a decade ago so these search results may not be reproducible but, ever since, I have refused to use them on ‘reciprocating’ setting.   Note that it only applies to tower fans, old fashioned oscillating desk fans don’t strain the wiring as much. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:57:37 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 11:13:56 PM »

Opened the bathroom window now the sun has gone down and that let a lot of cool air in. Did not manage to persuade my missus to open the big landing window for me though, which might have let some through draft in. Thank god there are no midgies - perhaps too hot and too dry for them. They can’t stand the strong sunlight, wind or dry air and on a sunny dry day if there are any about then there is a long period from mid morning until late afternoon when they all disappear.

According to my lightning app, there is trouble brewing out in the Atlantic. Lightning out at sea to the north west of Ireland, in a big patch whose north-south extent stretches from to the west of Islay in the south, up to a line level with ie to the west of Mull and even Tiree. Could mean big trouble for us tonight depending on which way the wind is going. If it keeps heading east without coming far enough north, then we might be alright, and it could pass west-to-east to the south of us here. The current wind directions shown on xcweather’s maps show wind from the south east to the north west, so that would be taking it further away out into the Atlantic and up past the Hebrides way too far away to the west. Here’s hoping anyway.

The lightning scanner has triggered a couple of times on standard default sensitivity, I haven’t turned it up to max. The max setting is superb but you do then get red herrings all the time, probably because of electrics events in the house, perhaps switches being operated by missus.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:29:32 PM by Weaver »

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 12:17:32 AM »

38 degrees, with a ‘feels-like’ of 45.  Stupidly hot today.

House got up to 31 inside. It’s still 28.5 at 0016.  Bit cooler in the bedroom, but still well into ‘sweat without moving’ territory.

Was meant to be working from home, but just got nothing done. Unbearable!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 01:42:24 AM »

That Atlantic lightning has just vanished now completely, according to the lighting maps. There was one strike in the Peak District a massive load in the English Channel and hitting East Kent, more in the North Sea off the coast of Suffolk and another patch at sea further up to the east below and above the Humber. Tons of strikes in these North Sea areas. That lot could be heading for me ultimately, unless it keeps to the east or fades out as it goes north.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 03:24:14 PM »

It has cooled down, by a couple of degrees, in East Anglia. The sky has now got a more overcast look about it and in the last ten minutes I have heard a few distant rumbles of thunder. On checking LigntningMaps.org a few strikes were observed, to the north of "The Cattery", in the Thetford area.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »

It’s still very hot here, but at least there is plenty of wind now.

The (former) kittens are cuddled up together just now, despite the heat, Somhairle still wants the comfort and reassurance of body contact, so I tell myself.

anything