Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Same old upstream story for line 3  (Read 11682 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Same old upstream story for line 3
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2020, 06:04:16 PM »

So the question: what happened at 23:45 approx and then unhappened at 10:35.

:shrug2:

The revenge of the haggis?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2020, 12:18:45 AM »

Indeed so. That’s about all I have to suggest too. Is it possible that there is some underlying parameter somewhere that changes slowly until some threshold tipping point is reached in a highly nonlinear system, at a point where there is a very very large dy/dx and then a dependent variable’s value jumps sharply, giving us this +/-4.9dB-high upstream SNR jump. Like a transistor being used as a switch perhaps.

Would a semiconducting point-contact dodgy metal-metal semi-make-break contact work for this, a crack or metal-metal joint without sufficient inter-contact pressure, something that expands and contracts with temperature ? But I’m not sure at all that I can believe the timings in that case, as the timings aren’t right for temperature changes vs sunrise/sunset. I can’t think how an rf interference source might get gated on/off on those timings. But perhaps it’s a detector that is changing, not a source: a non-linear RFI receiver that is getting enabled/disabled somehow and is either hearing or not hearing, or relaying vs not relaying detected noise.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:40:24 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2020, 01:19:13 AM »

I've tried to think of anything that might match . . . even inverting the logic to consider that the low SNRM period is good, the high SNRM period is bad.

The fact that we see a very distinct step just keeps "screaming" at me: switched on/off or switched off/on.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 03:00:04 AM »

Im sure you’re right; Only switched on/off really makes sense to me; the rest is speculation that is stretched to breaking point. I just cannot think what it is and why the times. But worst of all, why only that line line #4 ; line #2 sometimes has similar trouble but a different pattern and lower height.

That’s why I like the copper with a bad joint/crack in it idea; it allows line #4 to be different from its brothers. But that fantasy has so many problems.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:15:41 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 04:40:03 PM »

We do know that one out of the four lines, that carry your service, was provisioned differently. A pair was diverted from one cable to another . . . either in Harapul or Broadford.

However we do not know if that situation still exists subsequent to the high energy lightening zap which took out all circuits to Heasta and caused significant mischief in the Broadford <--> Harapul cabling. We have heard (in the third party sense) that some new cables had to be installed somewhere in the afore mentioned section of the route. Hence there is the possibility that your four lines now take a different route though the network to the Broadford exchange building.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2020, 07:59:03 PM »

I see your point but it’s line 2, the last ordered, that has the different route Broadford exchange to Harapul no?

I don’t understand why it is line 3 that is the odd man out though; I could understand it if it was line 2 that was the odd man out, not line 3; well line 2 is odd but that isn’t the point. why is line 4 ok ? Line 3 was the second line ordered historically. That’s what’s worrying me.

What story can we invent that gives a different noise ingress or reception picture for differing E-sides here anyway? How much in general can E-sides differ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 08:49:49 PM »

Last question first. It's not so much as to how can E-sides, in general, differ but where in the cable does your pair reside. What is the effect of its neighbouring pairs? As a new section of cable has been "patched in", it certainly will not preserve the relative positioning of the pairs which existed in the old cable.

I can never remember the logical ordering of your pairs, hence why you (privately) shared the four BBEU numbers with me. Can you be absolutely sure that what you originally called line 3 (for example) is still line 3?

[OT]Did anything ever come of CarlT's offer to ask somebody, who knows somebody, about the Internet service provision situation for your remote location?[/OT]

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2020, 09:28:49 PM »

> I can never remember the logical ordering of your pairs, hence why you (privately) shared the four BBEU numbers with me. Can you be absolutely sure that what you originally called line 3 (for example) is still line 3?

Chronological ordering
  • Line 1 first
  • Line 3 second
  • Line 4 third
  • Line 2 2018

I’m not completely sure about the assignments into the individual drop cables.

I don’t understand the point about relative position in the cable. Perhaps you could elucidate?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2020, 10:57:38 PM »

I don’t understand the point about relative position in the cable. Perhaps you could elucidate?

Some circuits can be noisier that others. So perhaps your line was surrounded by telephony-only carrying pairs, in the original cable, but now has xDSL carrying pairs adjacent to it, in the new cable.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 10:17:33 AM »

So a neighbour crosstalker, carrying DSL, which was only switched on half the day, and only produces low-frequency interference not higher frequency - is that what we’re talking about?

Some people do turn their kit off at certain times.

For 02-03 feb, the line #3 upstream pattern would have to be :
  • 00:00 - 11:30  :- crosstalker ON
  • 11:30 - 21:40  :- crosstalker OFF - SNRM 4.9dB lower
  • 21:40 - 00:00  :- crosstalker ON
    « Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:30:35 AM by Weaver »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
    « Reply #40 on: February 04, 2020, 04:53:33 PM »

Hi

I had a similar thing, for 2 weeks over the summer holidays on ADSL2+ it would suddenly improve, then drop again exactly 2 weeks later, happened 3 years on the trot.  Was it crosstalk or did someone have some noisy electrical equipment that went off when they went away, was it a factory taking a 2 week shutdown over the summer, no way of knowing.

If I was constantly monitoring the stats then no doubt I would be seeing little peaks and troughs constantly. People do turn their stuff off and on and noise comes and go, hence why there is a margin.  You will even see changes in noise due to certain weather conditions and how it affects radio waves.

I think you just have to accept that the way the technology is, xDSL is highly variable and it is just constantly shifting sands, especially long lines such as yours that is already optimised to the maximum.  I would just stop looking constantly, you'll drive yourself mad  ???

Hopefully at some point you will get FTTP or even could take a satellite service, and the issues of noise and cross-talk will become a distant memory.

Regards

Phil

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
    « Reply #41 on: February 04, 2020, 06:33:29 PM »

I ignore line 2, but line 3 has a 4.9db variation in upstream SNRM, and that is causing a loss of upstream speed of 25%

PhilipD

• Reg Member
    « Reply #42 on: February 05, 2020, 02:29:02 PM »

Hi

I ignore line 2, but line 3 has a 4.9db variation in upstream SNRM, and that is causing a loss of upstream speed of 25%

Still kind of within the bounds of design hence a 6db margin. Of course you could look at it another way, you sometimes get an increase of 25%, and the lower speed is the norm for that line.

Also your 25% lower upload speed on one line when taken into account over 3 lines luckily means only a ~8% overall difference in upload speed.  Given it is ADSL even with 3 lines it's never going to be a fast upload speed, so it means something large uploading might take 100 minutes sometimes and 92 minutes another, and you would not notice that in day to day use, 92 minutes is painfully slow the same as 100 minutes is painfully slow  :'(

Any sign of fibre coming your way or options to move to 4G yet?  Satellite might be the best option for you in the coming months as they launch new services.

Regards

Phil

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
    « Reply #43 on: February 09, 2020, 02:48:37 PM »

I don’t know about FTTC/FTTP but unless they decide to put one or two cabs in the village we are just stuffed, as it’s 7300m from me to the exchange, and after the first mile there’s not a single house, tree or wall

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
      • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
    « Reply #44 on: February 09, 2020, 10:42:42 PM »

Time to stick WiFi repeaters on sheep?
    Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
    Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
    Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything