Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Adopts Open Stack (Ubuntu)  (Read 2175 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
BT Adopts Open Stack (Ubuntu)
« on: July 25, 2019, 01:17:05 PM »

Found this interesting snippet on The Register...
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/24/bt_adopts_openstack_5g/
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: BT Adopts Open Stack (Ubuntu)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »

Almost completely unreadable, the level of vagueness and the buzzword density. The article and writing like this has become ‘cloud’ itself, meaning that in the writing the authors refer to who-knows-what, you the reader are not allowed to know what’s-what (encapsulation) and that is as true for the writing itself as for the the things referred to in it.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 03:21:18 PM »

It’s bad reporting by thereg (kinda par for the course for them), but OpenStack is quite a good framework to build with.

IIRC, back when I was looking at jobs with them, BBC R&D were building services to manage video streams, studios and library footage all with OpenStack.

Probably the most interesting part is that BT have chosen Canonical to do the heavy lifting, rather than do it themselves.

(at least that’s what I read into it - again, the reporting is bad!)
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 05:05:57 AM »

The BBC has been a BIG supporter of Open Source in general, its just not widely reported.

It makes sense for BT to move aspects of their network away from proprietary vendors who are known to be doing a pretty poor job, causing security and reliability issues.

It always amazes me that almost all routers are built on Open Source but using ancient versions of said software, far from optimal and with potential security vulnerabilities.  Its especially annoying that core features (DSL, WiFi) are locked behind binary drivers built against ancient kernels, hampering the end user from switching to better supported third-party firmware.

Even when we can, drivers like Ath10k never perform as well as the proprietary crap in stock firmware.  It seems to be that putting optimisations into the binary firmware is a way to avoid feeding back improvements into the underlying Open Source software.  They reap the benefits while avoiding their responsibility to improve the software for everyone else, a core purpose of Open Source.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 05:38:36 AM »

almost every part of infrastructure wants to become cloud-like

It honestly baffles me how "cloud" has suddenly transitioned from being "run from remote servers in the Internet" to "run from centralised servers on the network".

If its run from a central cluster on your network, its not a bloody cloud, its a server cluster - what we were using BEFORE the cloud.  The fact it might be more efficient using technology that was developed for cloud use, doesn't make it a cloud.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 08:50:04 AM »

It honestly baffles me how "cloud" has suddenly transitioned from being "run from remote servers in the Internet" to "run from centralised servers on the network".

If its run from a central cluster on your network, its not a bloody cloud, its a server cluster - what we were using BEFORE the cloud.  The fact it might be more efficient using technology that was developed for cloud use, doesn't make it a cloud.

It's a good job I didn't have coffee in my mouth when I read this as it would now have been all over my screen. :lol:
"Cloud" is just the latest buzzword to part those who don't understand IT from their money. Everything runs on hardware sitting in a server room somewhere - it's not magic!
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 04:13:49 AM »

Cloud is annoying me, but still not as much as the prepositional phrase ‘on line’ eg ‘she met him on line’ = on <where>? where = the internet or ‘he went on line’ = he fired up a web browser (unless the user still thinks that a link will go online = connected [- as opposed to being in the offline state]; which is fine linguistically but wrong factually as no one uses dialup any more)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »

"Cloud" is just the latest buzzword to part those who don't understand IT from their money. Everything runs on hardware sitting in a server room somewhere - it's not magic!

I suspect part of the problem is vendors selling their servers to a wider audience hence “ cloud based” then of course you would expect them to.

We have been looking at Azure to replace on site  Domain controllers, but it’s really expensive!

[Moderator edited to fix the broken quote.]

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:20:45 PM by burakkucat »
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

anything