News:

Author Topic: Betty  (Read 853 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Betty
« on: July 20, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »

This is ‘Betty’, in the lounge. Again.

She is in the house from time to time most days, and sometimes she is even upstairs pottering about on the landing.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Betty
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 01:30:27 PM »

I hope she is toilet-trained. Perhaps she uses the cats' litter tray?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »

She is not toilet trained, but doesn’t cause too many problems in practice. Janet goes around and checks for any mess after Betty has been spotted wandering about. She is not allowed anywhere near the cat litter tray as she could eat it (for ‘grit’) or possibly scratch it up, and she has been shooed if she unwittingly gets near the litter tray, the idea being just to create a negative association with it.

She doesn’t jump up on my bed, but Janet has picked Betty up a few times and given her to me so I can stroke her while I’m in bed. Giving her a stroke and talking to her makes her talk back gently,  with a low-pitched soft chirrup each time.

All of the new batch of hens are this exceptionally friendly relaxed breed, but Betty is on another level. Sometimes she follows Janet about and sometimes she is just content to explore on her own.

All the hens sleep in the tack room of the donkey stable now, so any predator will have to get through the half door, past two very dangerous donkeys, through a partition and then into the hens’ bedroom.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 02:19:13 PM »

Ah , I see.

All the hens sleep in the tack room of the donkey stable now, so any predator will have to get through the half door, past two very dangerous donkeys, through a partition and then into the hens’ bedroom.

It's good to know that they have their own security guards in place, keeping a watchful eye open for any undesirables.

I don't suppose that Gilbert and George come into the house, with the aim to visit you, occasionally?  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 02:55:35 PM »

Gilbert and George would be in the house given half a chance and they kick the sliding glass door at the front of the house when they decide that it’s bedtime, because they actually like being out to bed since they are used to always getting treats at that time every day plus extra rations to see them through the night. I can here them kicking the front door in the evening sometimes, which probably means that they are correct about bedtime and perhaps Janet has fallen asleep in front of the fire, with a cat on her knee. They are not large donkeys (Gilbert is significantly smaller) but the house’s doorways and passageways are narrow, and to get back out of the house they would find it difficult to turn round, and they don’t really have a reverse gear, not one that’s any use much.

anything