Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT sells off half its foreign outposts.  (Read 1423 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
BT sells off half its foreign outposts.
« on: July 21, 2019, 10:35:11 PM »

BT comes home: Phone giant retreats from almost half its foreign outposts to end global ambitions
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-7267569/BT-comes-home-Phone-giant-retreats-half-foreign-outposts-end-global-ambitions.html

BT has put its entire business in Latin America up for sale in the strongest signal yet that the telecoms giant is dialling its attentions back to Britain.

City sources said BT had privately settled on a strategy of offloading 'everything outside the UK' to draw a line under overseas controversies and arrest a three-year share price slide.

I'm sure there is a few reasons for them doing this. But it is interesting timing with the recent news about Liberty Global focusing its attention on the UK market too. All the signals are that these big global players are gearing up to get their fibre/cable networks in the ground before the others do.

Hopefully this is a good sign for the consumers.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT sells off half its foreign outposts.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:16:26 PM »

First thing I thought especially with it only being last week that the Liberty Global sell off of some of their EU assets too. 
It was reported there were some concerns over the amount of debt Vodafone had put themselves into so I shouldn't think they will be in a position to go soaking up any more telcos right now.

Also there is the strong possibility that they are trying to aquire funds from somewhere to be able to continue with the roll out of fibre in the UK.   
Just last week it was announced that BT is selling it's London headquarters and massively reducing its no of UK sites from 300 to just 30. (linky)

iirc Deutsche Telekom is another telco who has been selling off some of its assets in order to be able to concentrate on investing in its network closer to home.

I bet the average person has no idea just how expensive the roll out of full fibre is.   You see it all the time "BT need to roll out full fibre every where" without giving a thought of where they are going to magic up the funds from.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker