Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cerberus G.fast estimated  (Read 10499 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Cerberus G.fast estimated
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2019, 04:46:16 AM »

If money is tight/better spent elsewhere, then perhaps it would be better to hang on with 80/20 FTTC from PN? Otherwise, stick with the order.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »

If money is tight/better spent elsewhere, then perhaps it would be better to hang on with 80/20 FTTC from PN? Otherwise, stick with the order.

My view as well. Your PN service seems reliable enough, and unless you actually need the extra speed then I would have thought paying off things like your credit card would be a better thing to do with the money.
I get that a faster connection is a nice thing to have, but I'd have real trouble justifying that extra cost for a 'nice to have' when there are other calls on the available money.
 :) 
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 09:25:48 AM »

G.fast order has now been cancelled. Going to stay with PN FTTC until October for now. Zen will refund £104.99 back to my bank card.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »

I don't think I'd be alone in saying I think thats a good choice adslmax.

Sorry to butt into the thread, but for a while now I have seen you um and ah about new services. From the warmest of places, could you specify what it is exactly you cant do with your 80/20 connection?  :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 01:13:18 PM »

Isn't your Plusnet FTTC still free Max?

I've no idea why you would want to cancel it and switch to an expensive product you don't need when your current free broadband serves your needs.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 01:28:28 PM »

No, it won't be FREE as once the bill has resolved and fixed by PN the bill will send out invoice back to September 2018. PN say it won't be free service. As PN say we not a charity as we are a business. The bill has to be paid once it resolved.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 04:00:56 PM »

I note this hasn't been answered!

From the warmest of places, could you specify what it is exactly you cant do with your 80/20 connection?  :)
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2019, 04:14:18 PM »

Nothing wrong with my 80/20 connection. Still happy with it. I have to put G.fast in the back of my mind for now until I leave PN in October. By the meantime, my new router are on it way to me tomorrow will be ZyXEL XMG3927-B50A router. These will support both VDSL2 and G.fast to replaced my Billion router 8800NL. So, my parents can have my Billion Router to replaced ugly Plusnet Hub One they never liked it.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 04:39:13 PM »

I think the choice to stick 80/20 is a wise one. Really, if you got stuff to pay off.

If you sign up to Zen in the future, you could request that they DON'T send you their Fri!tzBox and they may be willing to waive the £55 activiation fee. If they are not willing to waive the fee in such a circumstance, then just take their router and keep it spare. The benefit of having the router they sent is for diagnostics, since they have insisted I use it when I had an issue despite using multiple devices of my own.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 04:43:04 PM »

re0 - Very wise and true. I stick with FTTC and use ZyXEL XMG3927-B50A as these will be excellent router. But, I hope it work out of the box to work with VDSL or might need settings change with the help from you or other for VDSL config. Will be using this router. So, no more Billion router and no more TP Link VR2600 (wireless) because XMG3927-B50A already got the stronger wifi on it.

I was very surprise how good from A&A and they are very well professional manner better than Plusnet. They know what they are talking about. THey advise me as for two peoples in my household, would stick with FTTC 80/20 are more than enough. But they say it down to my money if I want G.fast or not but they advised me G.fast is a new service and not fully nationwide yet and the price will come down sooner or later when they have more FTTP in UK. They say they do have both 160/30 or 160/50 for G.fast and will not SOLD 330/50 for time being. A&A are the best provider by miles ahead with sales, support, tech support etc but they quoted G.fast Home 2TB 160/30 with line only cost £65.00 monthly fee or G.fast Home 2TB 160/50 with line only cost £75.00 monthly fee with one off of £120 activation fee for G.fast and line only in a 12 months contract.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:51:35 PM by adslmax »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2019, 05:02:45 PM »

I have to put G.fast in the back of my mind for now until I leave PN in October.

So what do you anticipate you will want to be able to do in October that won't be able to do using 80/20 from Plusnet/Zen/A.N.Other?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2019, 05:07:13 PM »

Yes, A&A is very, very good for support. But for the majority of us, we'd hope we would really only need support a couple of times a year at most. You'd be paying more for the quality of service overall, but less options for speed and data usage.

To be fair, 2TB is actually a lot; I don't think I could ever download more than 1TB a month realistically - even on G.fast under normal circumstances. But my issue is they have no 330/50, and the additional £10/m for 20 Mbps more upstream is excessive in my opinion. I would rather pay £59.99/m for 330/50 from a good provider with more than decent support than £75/m for less downstream with a provider with excellent support.

Despite having no external antennas, the XMG3927-B50A does have some decent Wi-Fi speeds. My smartphone is limited to 433 Mbps Wireless AC, but as long as I am in the same room as the router it can pretty much max out the connection (~280 Mbps downstream). Even a couple of rooms away, ~100 Mbps downstream is still possible.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2019, 05:15:00 PM »

So what do you anticipate you will want to be able to do in October that won't be able to do using 80/20 from Plusnet/Zen/A.N.Other?

Hard to say unless PN offer me another good deal for FTTC in October but problem is if they don't fix my billing issues by the time in October (well over 12 months of waiting for fix) then I will leave PN with no choice. As I don't want to end up another 18 months with 12 months totally 30 months with no fix on my billing issues, no way! As I know many of users might think of me as a lucky sod cos of free service but it not true as PN never say that. Still have to pay it once they have or ever resolved my billing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 05:17:30 PM by adslmax »

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2019, 05:19:32 PM »

My smartphone is limited to 433 Mbps Wireless AC

Same here. My note 4 smartphone are limit to 220 something with Virgin Media 350/20 last year.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »

I can see why you'd leave Plusnet, but why not migrate like for like (i.e. Zen 80/20)? What is making you consider G.fast if you have no need for higher speed?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4