Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Cerberus G.fast estimated  (Read 10503 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: Cerberus G.fast estimated
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 05:55:42 PM »

Does anyone know where I can buy G.fast modem that support will work with dslstats?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 06:06:25 PM »

I don't think dslstats or any other stats monitoring software even supports G.fast.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 06:20:26 PM »

Ok which G.fast modem is best to buy with limit stats (cos I need to check maximum data rate as it important for me) before decided to upgraded to 330/50 in future. Without this, will be very difficult to tell if openreach engineer will not tell me what the maximum rate on the line (I have to be very polite to him or her)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:28:02 PM by adslmax »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 09:43:46 PM »

I don't think dslstats or any other stats monitoring software even supports G.fast.
DSLstats will work with G.fast but certain functionality will be incompatible/incomplete, such as:
  • Bitloading (FDD (A/VDSLx) vs TDD (G.fast)) - seems not to work
  • pbParams (VDSL2 only)
  • SNR per tone (as with Bitloading)
I imagine bitswapping may also be out of the question, for both "per minute" and "per tone".
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 10:43:18 PM »

I found nearby DP in footway to next two doors with smaller GPO box there in their front garden photo here https://ibb.co/dQ3vmV2 (neighbours has approved and accepted of this photo taken. This house get 330/50 on G.fast)

Photo here of nearby DP pathway https://ibb.co/pZHrfZh

All I see is just three contiguous footway joint-box lids. Are you sure that the DP, through which your property is connected, is below?

Been look into my outside cupboard (locked) and can see small GPO and I unscrew and took photo of it and screw it back on without touch these. Maybe this one is issues with G.fast low speed? Photo here: Screwed secure: https://ibb.co/7Cm8G9Y and Unscrewed GPO box: https://ibb.co/2dz7PYH (these seem lots of wiring on it with all different colours)

Ah, yes. A BT52A. (The "BT" stands for "Block, Terminal" and not "British Telecommunications".) It looks as if the incoming cable is armoured, with two pairs. They are connected to the bottom four terminals in your photograph. Pair one is the orange and white wires. Pair two is the green and black wires. The cable that then goes into your house is connected to the top four terminals. It also contains two pairs. Pair one is blue and orange wires. Pair two is the green and brown wires. All I can say is that there is a potential for two separate circuits (two separate lines). So yes, there is a possibility for there to have been two master sockets and two extension sockets.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 10:57:03 PM »

All I can say is that there is a potential for two separate circuits (two separate lines). So yes, there is a possibility for there to have been two master sockets and two extension sockets.

Thanks I will ask engineer when he come to my house to install G.fast to removed 2nd pairs. Or will it make no difference to G.fast?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 11:29:45 PM »

I would show him the location of the BT52A and then let him get on with the task.  :)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 12:08:24 AM »

Are these the reason for low 114/9 g.fast estimate cos of BT52A? But I heard if you want to get rid of BT52A Openreach will charged £130! (not part of G.fast install) so the engineer are likely to say NO.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 12:48:34 AM »

I very much doubt it has any effect whatsoever. It is just a junction box.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 12:59:15 AM »

Blimey just saw on VM promotion deal:

Save £180 in your first year with our incredible broadband Oomph deals!

Save £180

Average speed with 362Mbps

M350 Fibre Broadband
(was M200)

Average download speeds of 362Mbps
    Average upload speeds of 35Mbps
    The UK's fastest widely available broadband

2GB data SIM

Unlimited mins and texts.
    Data options available at check out

£40 a month

for 12 months
then £55 a month

£35 set up fee applies
(12 month contract applies)

No Virgin Phone Line

**make me wonder why is G.fast (with DLM) are seem so expensive 160/30 for £49.99 a month for 12 months with £55 activation fee with Plusnet mobile sim only (30 days) with 4G (ee) with unlimited texts and calls with 8GB data for £10.50 a month while cable broadband 362/35 (no DLM) only get a best deal £40 a month for 12 months with £35 activation fee with sim only to get free unlimited calls and texts with 2GB data (4G) with EE Virgin is a win win deal.**

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only

G.fast 160/30 with Plusnet sim only £60.49 a month inc £55 activation fee (12 months) totally £780.88
Cable 362/35 with VM sim only £40.00 a month inc £35 activation fee (12 months) totally £515.00 (saving of £265.88)

I think I have to cancel Zen G.fast and placed an order with VM deal instead later today. Plus PN cease fee £30 to Openreach to stop FTTC / line rental when my contract end October this year.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:11:32 AM by adslmax »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 01:31:51 AM »

I thought I was indecisive. :P

The way I look at the situation is that 80/20 Mbps is doing you well and it seems there is actually very little reason to change it. If value was your main concern and 80/20 was enough, you'd just stick to it. Heck, you could probably get away with 55/10 or 40/10 for a couple of users at peak.

For the VM cable vs G.fast situation, I personally would be tempted by the latter as long as I could attain a reasonable speed. The overall quality, including factors such as latency and jitter, should be better with G.fast (and even your current FTTC) compared to VM's cable product; the VM experience could be further impacted by utilisation in your area, which you can find out.

If I was in your situation, I would just leave the order for G.fast alone and just stick with the decision to have it. If you cancel it, you will order VM, probably subsequently cancel that and be right back at square one again.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2019, 01:41:49 AM »

What your view ? Staying with FTTC 80/20 and enjoy free until October when contract has expires than leave PN and order G.fast in October with Zen or stay with G.fast order and use 160/30 stable than VM 362/35 as you are probably right that VM are terrible utilisation in my area.

I only got to pay PN for early fee £12.48 for the remaining contract that easy wiped off by my refferal scheme still stand at £45 credit but PN email to me say I would lose LRS non refundable and will lose all my referral scheme £45 credit will be wiped off) CHEEK of PN.

Alright I leave my G.fast order alone and go ahead with G.fast.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2019, 01:44:57 AM »

Blimey Zen Internet has updated new website revamp just now: https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/ultrafast-fibre-broadband

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2019, 02:02:10 AM »

. . . stay with G.fast order and use 160/30 stable than VM 362/35 as you are probably right that VM are terrible utilisation in my area.
Only really a couple of ways to find out for sure and that is by either ordering it for yourself and trying it, or asking a neighbour, friend, or family member who has it locally what their experiences are.

ThinkBroadBand's quality metrics, at least in the past, have highlighted how horrible the quality of VM can be. I think my view in my previous post might be a bit dated, since the data here is showing a lot more in the green and yellow for quality - though still comparatively worse than FTTC.

What were the finalised Zen estimates for your connection that they sent via email? I know you mentioned the system(?) said your line is capable of 280/27 (worse case scenario estimates).

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2019, 02:06:10 AM »

Well Zen say 114/9 is now no longer as it will be 280/27 on my line but asked me if I want to order 330/50 but can't afford £59.99 so, they placed the order for 160/30 instead for £49.99 for now. Until I pay off Plusnet, water rent, house rent (bedroom tax) and credit card to pay off £1700. Then I can upgrade to 330/50 after xmas.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything