Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recommendations for Router for use as Wifi AP  (Read 1512 times)

dmcdonnell

Recommendations for Router for use as Wifi AP
« on: July 10, 2019, 12:44:50 PM »

I plan to buy a second hand router for use as a wireless access point. I need a router with a WAN port as it will get internet over cat5e (gigabit). Can anyone recommend a router with top quality wifi (dual band, multiple antennae) available cheap on ebay???

The BT Smart Hub 2 looks idea but their website says it will only work with BT broadband.

TIA,

Dermot

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Recommendations for Router for use as Wifi AP
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 04:11:17 PM »

Hi

You would be better off buying an access point, you can get all sorts of issues with a router making it into an AP only.

If you can, for a one off effort, the best thing is to run some Ethernet into your loft (assuming you have a house with loft accessible) and install a proper ceiling access point, and this can be powered using power over Ethernet, so you don't need to run power anywhere.  This will typically cover the average house easily given the high vantage point.

Even if that is not possible, you can still use the same sort of access point, either wall mount or site somewhere, these are typically miles better than Wi-Fi built into consumer router grade kit.

I've been using a ceiling mounted NWA1123-ACv2 from Zyxel.  It's built like a tank, blends in like a smoke detector, and covers the whole house and beyond with ease.  Expensive, but worth it, especially given how reliant on Wi-Fi we are these days.

Regards

Phil

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:13:26 PM by PhilipD »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 05:23:49 PM »

I plan to buy a second hand router for use as a wireless access point. I need a router with a WAN port as it will get internet over cat5e (gigabit). Can anyone recommend a router with top quality wifi (dual band, multiple antennae) available cheap on ebay???

The BT Smart Hub 2 looks idea but their website says it will only work with BT broadband.

TIA,

Dermot
Why do you need a WAN port? If you intend to use the router as a WAP it is better to connect the 2 routers LAN -LAN and disable DHCP on the second device.
The Smart Hub2 will only work with BT broadband if you are using it as a modem/router but it will work with any ISP if you intend using it as a WAP. However, there are reports on the BT forum with problems using it as a WAP.

Agree with PhilipD though, a dedicated WAP would be preferable.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »

Can anyone recommend a router with top quality wifi (dual band, multiple antennae) available cheap on ebay???

If you want the very best, then go for the Netgear R7800 - it sits on top of the router charts  for wifi range/speeds on smallnetbuilder.com. Its not the cheapest out there but not ridiculously expensive either (~ £150). Though Amazon regularly have this for sale @ £130.

If that's out of your price range, then I have a Phicomm K3 for sale. Its the Chinese equivalent of Asus RT-AC88U and its a great router (very close to the R7800 for wifi performance). Only reason i don't use it is cos its a dual band router whereas I prefer to use my Linksys/Cisco tri-band router. I bought the K3 for £80 on Amazon US & can sell it to you for £50. Its in 'like new' condition, fully boxed with all accessories etc. Let me know, I can place the ad for it in 'Broadband hardware swap shop' section on Kitz and give you first dibs :)