Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What interference might cause these regular changes in VDSL error rates?  (Read 1297 times)

rjpreston

Whilst investigating possible reasons why our internet seems less than brilliant at the times, I have noticed that the modem is reporting FEC errors rising and falling in a regular pattern of approx. 1.5 hours of ~2000 FEC errors per min, followed by 0.5 hours of ~500 FEC errors per min. (See FEC graphs attached)

I assume it is interference from something local, but can't think what would be so regular. It must be on a timer, but what might be on for 1.5 hours then off for 0.5h and doing this 24h per day?

Superimposed on this is a longer period variation over each day. The 2nd FEC graph is a smaller scale, and there's definitely a 24-hour change rising and falling each day - getting more pronounced in the last 3 days.

Lastly, the bitswap graph shows this increasing at pretty much exactly 8pm each night and staying high for most of the night before returning to the low figure each daytime.

Might all these be caused by the same interference source? Could this be why our internet is sluggish?

Cheers for any ideas!

(Zyxel VMG1312-B10A modem bridged to Asus RT-AC68U router. BT ISP)

j0hn

• Kitizen

The Bitswap graph is identical to mine and many others, it's perfectly normal.

No idea what would cause that pattern with FEC's but they aren't a problem.
Those are low FEC numbers and nothing to worry about.

I have similar up's and down's with FEC's but not with such a pattern to it.
Mine also jump a little more, going from roughly 10,000/min to 100,000/min then back again a few hours later.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

rjpreston

Thanks J0hn. I think my connection problems must be elsewhere rather than at my end.