Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: List of logins and passwords - Chrome  (Read 1062 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
List of logins and passwords - Chrome
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:58:40 AM »

My next door neighbour came to me in a bit of a panic last night as he found himself on a screen which listed loads of his website logins and hidden passwords with a show password link by each. He seemed to think it was a result of clicking links in an email purportedly from Microsoft.

I first loaded and ran malwarebytes which came back clean. Looking at the email it was genuine (it was the "Update to our terms of use" that I also received yesterday - I'd just got back from a weekend away and hadn't then seen my copy) but wasn't (directly) the reason the login list was displayed.

After a while I guessed at the saved passwords in the browser which when I showed him the list in Chrome he confirmed was what he saw; so I'm reasonable happy that he hasn't picked up any nasties. What I can't figure out is how the heck he ended up in the list as the only way I've found is Settings, Passwords.

Has anyone any idea how he might of ended up in there by accident?

He didn't know how to review links before clicking - he does now!

He didn't know about the danger of using the same password on many sites - he does now. In fact he was relying on the browser to remember passwords as he couldn't remember them. I've suggested he uses a password manager.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: List of logins and passwords - Chrome
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:46:30 PM »

Perhaps the email contained a local link, to wherever Chrome’s stored passwords are stored, and he clicked the link?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: List of logins and passwords - Chrome
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 01:03:53 PM »

Nope! This was the email:

[/t][/t]

Your Services Agreement made clearer
[/size][/color] Hello,

You are receiving this email because we are updating the Microsoft Services Agreement, which applies to one or more Microsoft products or services you use. We’re making these updates to clarify our terms and ensure that they remain transparent for you, as well as to cover new Microsoft products, services and features.
[/font]
[/size][/color] The Microsoft Services Agreement is an agreement between you and Microsoft (or one of its affiliates) that governs your use of Microsoft consumer online products and services. [/font]
[/size][/color] You can read the entire Microsoft Services Agreement here[/u][/color]. You can also learn more about these updates on our FAQs page here[/u], including a summary of the most notable changes. The updates to the Microsoft Services Agreement will take effect on 30 August 2019. If you continue to use our products and services on or after 30 August 2019, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement.
[/size][/color] If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services by closing your Microsoft accounts before these terms become effective. If you are a parent or guardian, you are responsible for your child’s or teenager’s use of Microsoft products and services, including purchases. [/font]
[/size][/color] Thank you for using Microsoft products and services. [/font]
[/q][/t][/t] 

[/t][/t][/l][/t]   
   [/t][/l][/t]   
   [/t][/l][/t]     

[/size][/color] This email was sent from an unmonitored mailbox.
Privacy Statement

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052 USA
[/font]
   [/t][/t][/t]        
[/td][/tr][/table]
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

anything