Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G.fast why two houses different estimated speed  (Read 1166 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
G.fast why two houses different estimated speed
« on: July 08, 2019, 07:10:50 PM »

Got email from openreach to explain why two next doors of my house get 330/50 compared to my house 198/29 on G.fast.

*************.*******@openreach.co.uk

15:56 (36 minutes ago)

to me

Hi Mr ************

I’ve had one of our technical experts take a look at why the 2 premises below are being quoted different speeds, he’s confirmed that this is due to discrepancies being identified on one of the lines that would need to be resolved to enhance the speed. In this instance (door number ***) would be offered a managed install (engineering visit) to optimise the line and fix any wiring issues, whereas (door number ***) could opt for a self-install. The estimated speeds are based on physical measurements taken from our line test systems.

Regards

Principal of network capacity and copper new sites
Openreach

Below screenshot my house are 198/29 while two next doors got 330/50

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: G.fast why two houses different estimated speed
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:29:37 PM »

My house was managed install by engineering visit to optimise the line and fix any wiring issues for my FTTC back in 2014 fitted with MK2 then again fitted with MK4 (5C), whereas (door number *** with 330/50) could opt for a self-install.

Maybe Openreach wasn't aware my line was managed install by an engineer.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:41:14 PM by adslmax »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: G.fast why two houses different estimated speed
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:25:51 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me.

The line checker says neither of my lines have an NTE fitted despite the fact I have a MK3 fitted to my second line and an original ADSL v1.0 (granted fitted by me but a later engineer install DID see it and left it alone).  I don't think they are bothering to keep records of them.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors