Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Small builders crisis?  (Read 1484 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Small builders crisis?
« on: July 07, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »

I’m trying to find a builder to do a few small jobs.   A shed base, guttering repairs, attention to a soakaway, and repointing a wall.

Trouble is I have approached about ten or so this far.  I have pretty much exhausted all resources such as Checkatrade, Federation of Master Builders, local small ads, within a twenty mile radius.   Most have  completely ignored my voicemalis/texts/emails, even with reminders.   The three that have had the decency to respond have politely explained they simply have too much work lined up, to be taking on new clients.   :'(

Just wondering if this is normal, at the moment, and why?   ???

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Small builders crisis?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 11:56:34 PM »

Just had another polite reply.   “Sorry 7LM, We've too much work on”.    :(

So first conclusion, good, builders burn the midnight oil too, even when busy. :)

But it all just seems so inconsistent with BBC News reports, and Bank of England analysis, which suggest for whatever reasons, that we are entering some kind of recession? ???

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 06:30:56 AM »

I haven't needed a builder for any small jobs recently, so I can't speak from personal experience, but the local trade advertising publications are full of adverts for builders, plumbers, electricians, etc "no job too small".
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 06:58:28 AM »

Don't know if this is relevant in your area, but here in sunny Weston-super-Mare and surrounding area there are many new housing estates being built, and I suspect local builders are possibly involved - but don't know for sure.

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 07:10:39 AM »

7LM, I'm thinking, do you need a builder as such for those small jobs? Maybe out there are known reliable handy men.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:34:02 AM »

The local papers do indeed have ads for ‘handymen’ and ‘no job too small’ builders.     Unfortunately I have already exhausted them all, either no response or same story, “too much work on”.   :'(

Trouble is, if/when I do find somebody willing to help I’ll be wondering why he’s available when everybody else is so busy, and thus whether he’s any good. ???

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 11:20:46 AM »

Maybe DIY could be the answer  :-\

I am just having a 'Tea break' from putting One of Five roof windows in (not all today), No one has showed me how to do this but with help from on-line video's etc it is quite easy.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 01:25:35 PM »

I do pretty much all my own building work as well, only used builders for the main shell of the house extension (that was a nightmare) then done everything else myself - I'm a mechanic by trade. As Tickmike says most jobs are actually pretty easy, and often end up with better work doing it yourself.

There's a forum you could try https://nextdoor.co.uk I often see people posting for recommendations for builders etc on there.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 01:58:10 PM »

You could find some of the builders merchants in your area and post a note on there notice boards to see if you could find somebody that way, but they would be an unknown to there workmanship. 
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.   It might also be an excuse to drink more beer, on the assumption that a pub in the evening is a good place to meet tradesmen. :D

I don’t mind most diy tasks, and happy to learn new skills.  As mentioned, you often end up with a better job than a professional might have done,  even if it took you a lot longer.

A significant exception in this current list is the guttering as I suffer badly from fear of heights.   Nine times out of ten when I climb a ladder, as soon as I get to about 6 feet off the ground, my muscles seem to freeze and turn rigid.   Trying to descend again, with elbows, knees and ankles that refuse to bend or flex then becomes truly dangerous, as opposed to the initial ‘imaginary danger’ from being up there.

It is of course completely irrational, but anybody who experiences similar symptoms will understand they cannot easily be overcome.    I did recently tick off one item on my bucket list, which was to walk across the Clifton suspension bridge.   I’d tried several times over the years but on each previous occasion, brain just said ‘No’.  Finally persuaded it to let me cross, even though I was hanging on for dear life, to any available part of the structure, the whole way over.   :graduate:

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »

Sorry for diverting the topic a little, but is personal acquaintance with a tradesman always a good thing?

I left a message with one's wife, the middle of last week, and so far have had no response. Should I look elsewhere, or wait? It's complicated, because my daughter's husband and teenage kids live near and share same school, and husbands  are leaders in youth activities.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 05:55:22 PM »

Sorry for diverting the topic a little, but is personal acquaintance with a tradesman always a good thing?

I left a message with one's wife, the middle of last week, and so far have had no response. Should I look elsewhere, or wait? It's complicated, because my daughter's husband and teenage kids live near and share same school, and husbands  are leaders in youth activities.

No probs going off-topic, this is the chit-chat forum. :)

My recent experience is, if tradesmen don’t respond to messages within 24 hours, they probably won’t respond at all.   If, after a few days, I repeat the message through different media such as email or Text, they may respond - but invariably the response is “too  busy”.   But at least that would enable you to make other arrangements, without souring your existing relationship.

Of course, I’m assuming the message was along the lines of “Ask Jack to call me, regarding the gutters”.   Silence following an alternative message to a builder’s wife, along the lines of “Would you like to elope with me?”, would require a different analysis.   ::)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 07:53:18 PM »

This forum is magic. Just posting here has elicited a reply ;); round later in week.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 10:56:50 PM »

This forum is magic. Just posting here has elicited a reply ;); round later in week.

Good result.    If, by any chance, you get  the opportunity to enquire whether the building trade is generally busy at the moment and if so, why, I’d be interested in his answer.

anything