Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT altered my Extention Wiring  (Read 9831 times)

dave4709

BT altered my Extention Wiring
« on: July 07, 2019, 01:57:51 PM »

Hi i need a little help just to solve my issue years ago when i was using dial up cant remember what or why BT came to sort the prob. I digress at the time my PC was upstairs to get a the internet to my PC they altered the master & altered 4 of my extensions putting a new master in the bedroom where my PC was. since then i have moved my PC. I am supposed to get 16 meg speed, apon testing its nowhere near that speed. My dilemma is as i now like many people use cordless phones & dont need all the extensions but cannot remove ANY of my extensions that i put in i contacted BT they say that they would charge me to reinstate the master in its original position this would give me a better signal,  how  should i proceed ???
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:01:13 PM by dave4709 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT altered my Extention Wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 11:35:38 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

It may be possible for you to re-instate the original, more conventional, wiring set-up. But before anyone can advise, we will need to know exactly what types of sockets are present and how they are wired. They simplest way would be for you to take a series of pictures and upload those images to an appropriate sharing web-site service. Then post the link to the images. We would need to see both the front view of each socket and then, having undone the two retaining screws, a clear image of the connectors & the wires connected to each.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dave4709

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 01:43:22 PM »

This how BT left my extensions and Wiring hope you get my drift & understand as to why I cannot remove any of my OWN wiring.  I moved into my house in 1987 when I moved in there were only 2 phone sockets the Master and an extension which was in the kitchen. As I have said before I was on dial up & BT was called out for a reason for the life of me I can't remember many years ago. To start BTs drop wire enters my house & is terminated in an old GPO Bakelite junction box they then ran a white sheathed cable  from there to a reception room the cable was run at base of skirting board which is clipped just below the base of the box which was the then Master socket.  A cable was run from that via via a  external connector to the to the kitchen which I disconnected and added an extension box to the left of the then Master so I could run a cable upstairs which you can see from photo 1 the cables go in 2 direction one goes to the kitchen the other goes upstairs via a box in hallway see photo 2 which I had to put in as a carpet fitter damaged the cable the cable then goes upstairs and was terminated via a junction box which was above a door which is now a extension socket see photo 3 which in turn was fed to every bedroom upstairs  one of the bedroom now has a ADSL v10 socket All of the for-mentioned sockets (extensions) have wires inserted into jelly crimps
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:36:24 PM by dave4709 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »

Welcome Dave!

You can pay BT Openreach for something called "change point of entry" and then they will put a direct clean run from the outside world straight in to a new master socket parked wherever you want it. I paid about £120 for this but that was some years ago. It’s per-hour, but it’s normally only less than an hour anyway. The result for me was superb.

If you decide you want to go for it, you should of course tell the Openreach engineer what you’re trying to achieve, maximise speed and reliability, get master socket in the right place and get rid of extensions. Direct engineer exactly as to where you want the run to be, and I would advise to run copper round the outside of the house if needed, so keeping it outside the house and so away from interference sources.

If it is possible, you can get an even better signal, very slightly, by shortening the DSL line even further an having the master socket at an inconvenient point where the line first comes directly to the house and then park a modem there then run Ethernet cable to wherever you want your router or else use wireless networking instead of Ethernet cable. If this would mean that your wireless access point (WAP) or wireless router is in the wrong place for central positioning to maximum coverage, then Ethernet cable to the WAP is again your friend, giving you the best flexibility and the best if both worlds - wireless where it makes sense and modem right at the master socket at an ‘inconvenient’ point.

My WAPs are parked in various places and I have two in the centre of the house and my four ADSL modems are right where the dsl copper comes in, by an upstairs window, with Ethernet linking WAPs to my main switch upstairs which is next to modems and my router.

dave4709

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »

Thanks for a reply yes BT says they would reinstate the master but NO other wiring so i still have to do a lot of the work myself it is a ridiculous amount to pay they actually quoted me £150. Thats for connecting 4 Wires & that works out at £37.50 per wire and couple of screws. i am a pensioner on fixed pension i am not going to pay such a exorbitant amount BT are ripping people off its BTs Cock up that they created. To top it all when the Engineer had finish he did say if you want to go wireless you can put a wireless adapter in your PC & you can put your PC anywhere if he had told me before he started i would not be in this position at the time a wireless adapter was around £20 they are even cheaper now. i just want to move the master to where it was originally& i will remove the extensions no longer wanted & sort out MY wiring that BT altered

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »

To start BTs drop wire enters my house & is terminated in an old GPO Bakelite junction box they then ran a white sheathed cable  from there to a reception room the cable was run at base of skirting board which is clipped just below the base of the box which was the then Master socket.

@dave4709

One of my colleagues forever used jellies for everything, drove me crazy, anyway, have you got a picture of the above quoted master socket?

dave4709

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 11:33:26 PM »

@ meritez The Original Master is see photo attached the BT engineer has jellied nearlly all the wire there are 2 extra wires that are jellied that are not even inside either box  The amount of alteration to the sockets is crazy i cannot remove a singe cable as he has made as they all jellied. all i want is to reinstate a Master ie the ADSL v10 which is the now master  that is in photo also attached & i will sort my extensions myself am i allowed to do that????

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »

You are not technically allowed to do any work inside a fixed master socket like that. I don't believe you are even supposed to unscrew to cover!
However, if you are confident that you can identify the incoming pair and can make a half decent job of fitting a correct new style master socket (NTE5c), then the chances of Openreach creating any fuss now or in the future are next to nil.
I'm sure whatever you do will be a whole lot better that the lash-up job you appear to have at present.
Only you can decide.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

dave4709

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 11:13:27 AM »

@tubaman The incoming wire from dropwire connector to the original master has been identified & has been marked see photo. The ADSL that is the master at present i had to move because of furniture. I am more than confident to complete the job as you said its a lash up in its present state & i feel if they came to my house because of a fault they would say same. The plus side i will still have £150 in my pocket, Just wanted someone to say it many many thanks

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:40:55 PM by dave4709 »

dave4709

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 01:05:54 PM »

Hi i am about to undo all the wiring nightmare that BT either jellied or altered so i can remove some of the extensions & wiring  including the left hand socket in photo The drop wire enters my house and is fed into a GPO 700 series Junction Box then normal white sheathed phone cable to the master socket but just need a little bit of advice as to which of the colored pairs go to A & B in the ADSL v1.0 master socket would it be as it is wired now and is either of the remaining pair are they terminated. i ask as i have to disconnect every single wire

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 01:27:34 PM »

Just clarifying that I understand things correctly . . .
  • Pole mounted DP with an aerial drop to the premises.
  • Aerial drop enters premises and is connected to a BT52A junction box.
  • Three pair, white sheathed, internal cable from the above junction box to the location where the master socket is to be located.
Looking at your images, in particular the very last, above, it is not too clear exactly what colour wires are connected. However, if the three pair cable has wires blue/white-stripe & white/blue-stripe (pair number one), orange/white-stripe & white/orange-stripe (pair number two) and green/white-stripe & white/green-stripe (pair number three) then it should be pair number one that is in use. In that case it is the blue/white-stripe wire to the B-terminal and the white/blue-stripe wire to the A-terminal.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 03:39:38 PM »

It will be whichever pair from the drop-wire are going to terminals 2 and 5 of your master socket.
The wire on terminal 5 goes to A and the one on terminal 2 to B.
The polarity doesn't actually matter but strictly it should be 0V to A and -50V to B.
If you are planning to add extensions later then the polarity must remain the same between them.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

dave4709

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 08:09:39 PM »

Sorry about the photo yes you are correct re drop wire  & the junction box the wire that are in the photo at the altered (old) master are the colours mentioned with the exception of 2 single strands of colour coded wire which are outside of either box (not very professional) which never seen the colours before or since. My plan is to disconnect all connections of BT wire from incoming junction box making note of connections  then disconnecting the now master and connect it where original master was as in photo then make good any extensions. With your info which is sound info I will proceed many thanks for your help

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 08:18:57 PM »

Yes, that reads as sensible and I'm sure you'll do a good job.  :)

dave4709

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 10:24:31 AM »

Sorry to be a pest just to clarify, Not phased to the job So the blue pair are the ONLY wires that are connected on master part of the box A & B Orange pair are not connected at all in that part of box. I ask as how BT lashed up my system, on my at the moment master they have used both pairs the blue pair on A & B and the Orange pair are connected as you would on a extension as I have said it does the job but it sure looks so unprofessional. answer this & im done. i will post pictures for all to see finished result a before & after
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 11:49:30 AM by dave4709 »
Pages: [1] 2