Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MK4 faceplate frequent disconnects, XF-1e seems good.  (Read 2671 times)

adam

MK4 faceplate frequent disconnects, XF-1e seems good.
« on: June 13, 2019, 10:36:37 PM »

Some context, recently had vdsl activated at new (1960s) property. Probably about 800M away from the cabinet. The disconnects were so bad that DLM lowered my profile to a point where I dipped below the minimum guaranteed sync and I called my provider Vodafone who arranged an openreach engineer to come out. I wasn't there when he visited, but apparently he found a fault and replaced some cable possibly between some manholes between my and my neighbours property.

'Someone I know' also replaced the old oval shaped block terminal from the incoming cable and the master socket to a 2019 BT Openreach Telephone Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4 which I purchased from eBay. This was installed before vdsl was activated.

So using the new NTE5c and MK4 Faceplate, the Vodafone router syncs reasonably well, but disconnects ~every hour or so. Unclipping the Faceplate and using an ADSL Nation XF-1e dongle style filter in the NTE5c, the disconnects seem to stop completely.

Could the Mk4 be faulty, or perhaps the XF-1e is coping better with my line conditions? My stats are (with the XF-1e):

VDSL   G.993.5 (VDSL)
Link type   Interleaved path

Downstream   Upstream
Actual data rate   37645 (Kbps.)   8248 (Kbps.)

Downstream   Upstream
SNR Margin           6.6 dB           6 dB
Loop Attenuation   24 dB           21.6 dB

Indicator name   Downstream   Upstream
FEC Corrections   39                   580771
CRC Error           49                   2

PPP session uptime   14 hours and 32 minutes

Thoughts?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: MK4 faceplate frequent disconnects, XF-1e seems good.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:12:29 PM »

The actual electronics of a Mk 3 and of a Mk 4 SSFP are identical. The problem comes with the clip-on presentation of the Mk 4 SSFP and the NTE5C behind it.  :-X

If the NTE5C plus Mk 4 SSFP was replaced with an NTE5/A and a Mk 3 SSFP then I strongly suspect that your problems would cease.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 12:04:52 AM »

I’d try another modem if you’re using the supplied Vodafone unit.

My ~600m line ran for 4 years absolutely fine when I was on BT Infinity with an Openreach HG612 modem.  As soon as I switched to Vodafone, the line was barely up for an hour between resyncs.

I ended up banded before switching back to the HG612 - I got a DLM reset done and I’ve been back to normal for the past 2 years or so.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

adam

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 11:03:48 PM »

The actual electronics of a Mk 3 and of a Mk 4 SSFP are identical. The problem comes with the clip-on presentation of the Mk 4 SSFP and the NTE5C behind it.  :-X

If the NTE5C plus Mk 4 SSFP was replaced with an NTE5/A and a Mk 3 SSFP then I strongly suspect that your problems would cease.

Thanks, I'll consider the Mk3, if I can source one.

I’d try another modem if you’re using the supplied Vodafone unit.

My ~600m line ran for 4 years absolutely fine when I was on BT Infinity with an Openreach HG612 modem.  As soon as I switched to Vodafone, the line was barely up for an hour between resyncs.

I ended up banded before switching back to the HG612 - I got a DLM reset done and I’ve been back to normal for the past 2 years or so.

Unfortunately I don't have another modem, I guess as it performed (in my opinion) very well at the previous property <100m copper, I hadn't considered it, although the extra stats would be useful.

I'm not sure if I became banded? when I had to power off for some electrical work, the downstream SNR margin is now ~7.9 / sync speed is 33480, changed from 6.6 / sync speed 37645

However, I have now been in sync for 18 days

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 11:47:39 PM »

Found these on eBay
  * back of master socket - NTE5a and
  * mk3 SSFP frontplate

and there are lots more alike too. These aren’t necessarily the best deals available and I haven’t checked the sellers out, so usual caveat