Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AA lower some prices, increase some quotas  (Read 1693 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
AA lower some prices, increase some quotas
« on: June 17, 2019, 05:27:54 PM »

AA very good news for some users

See
    https://www.aa.net.uk/etc/news/2019-06-17-improved-pricingusage-home1-and-soho1

(No good news for me though, as I am not on that deal  :(   )

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: AA lower some prices, increase some quotas
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 08:40:27 AM »

If only their FTTP service wasn't capped at 160/30, and at least 330/50 instead, I'd consider switching (even if it meant I had to pay for SoHo::1 5TB). Maybe in a year or two this speed cap will be lifted a little.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 09:49:36 AM »

Ixel, are you with AA now?

You should email RevK and tell him what your thoughts are. Seriously, would do a lot of good for other users. Without feedback things won’t change because AA won’t know what’s what.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:32:06 PM by Weaver »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 06:31:18 PM »

If only their FTTP service wasn't capped at 160/30, and at least 330/50 instead, I'd consider switching (even if it meant I had to pay for SoHo::1 5TB). Maybe in a year or two this speed cap will be lifted a little.
The speed limitation was the issue I had for G.fast too. £65/m is not exactly terrible for what it is, even if it's "only" 2TB. But it's the fact that's only for 160/30, and an extra £10/m (total £75/m) will get you constrained 330/50 package will actually only provides 160/50.

I am not saying their choice is necessarily a bad choice from a business perspective, since there is logic behind offering packages for the sake of capacity. It just doesn't suit what I want.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »

Re0 I wonder if they would disallow you from simply getting a second link at 160Mbps ? (Not that that would suit you necessarily from a cost perspective.)

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 12:04:55 AM »

I would presume not, no. Unless the pod were to be full or something.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 12:09:17 AM »

@re0 I’m trying to remember some comment - influencing my opinion in one way or the other - but I cannot remember for the life of me where

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 05:55:47 PM »

Ixel, are you with AA now?

You should email RevK and tell him what your thoughts are. Seriously, would do a lot of good for other users. Without feedback things won’t change because AA won’t know what’s what.

I'm still with AAISP but not for the broadband side of things. I was with them for a while. As I had FTTPoD installed I won't be switching for at least another 10 months or so. I'll find his email address and share my thoughts on the cap and why I can't think of switching back until such a time this changes (assuming one day it does). I'm honestly happier being with an ISP that provides a good and generally consistent quality of service, but at the same time knowing how much traffic is too much each month. I hate these other ISP's which say 'unlimited bandwidth' but there's some fair usage clause that can, if it wants to, limit your usage. My current ISP, who I went to for FTTPoD, is good so far and I've not had any complaints about 1TB to 1.5TB or so of usage which is good, but there's always the uncertainty.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 05:59:14 PM by Ixel »

anything