Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ryan-air?  (Read 1049 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Ryan-air?
« on: July 04, 2019, 03:33:16 PM »

Has anyone here flown with Ryan-Air?
My wife and I have booked a "Last minute.com" anniversary holiday to Spain. flying (I hope) this Saturday from Bournemouth.
Unfortunately the only flight is Ryan-air.
Now I have heard bad reports about them, but never concerned myself having never flown with them.
But I can see why there are so many complaints
It's almost impossible to talk to anyone for help, and they never reply to emails (yet) ???  ::)

So, does anyone have any inside knowledge on them for contact info please, or help in any way?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

flilot

Re: Ryan-air?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 05:20:46 PM »

I have no "inside knowledge", but I do know people who have flown with them.
All have said the same: It's like being on a crowded tube train with wings.  If they could safely get away with letting people stand in the aisle during take off, flight and landing, they would. Its purely a service where they pack as many passengers on the aircraft as possible to get them from A to B.  If you don't expect any more from them, you won't be disappointed. They also used to play some really loud fanfare music upon landing that scares people to death, not sure if they still do that.

Personally from their reports I'd fly on them as a last resort, however if they were the only flight available I'd take them, just going into it with eyes open expecting the worst, if they do better then that's an upside.
Carl

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »

We've flown with them a number of times, and not had a problem that I remember. Although looking at my accounts I can see back in 2008 I was charged for a flight 22 hours after attempted to book it, and it was refunded a day later, can't remember the details though.

The planes are no different to any others, don't all airlines like to fill theirs seats, thus they all become crowded? I'm six foot and had enough room on our last flight with them.

What you have to watch is your baggage options, easy to get caught out. We last flew with them in January from Stanstead, paid extra for priority boarding, and fast track security, which was worth the extra. We didn't know at the time so we queued at check in expecting them to put labels on our cabin luggage as per our last flight (which was to Canada), turned out we could just walk straight through to security, where we had to ask where fast track security was and then we walked past every one else :-)

Also make sure you do online check in and have your boarding pass either printed or on your phone, I do both.

I'd happily use them again, especially if it saves me some money  :)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »

I would never use them again after a very expensive disaster. In 2007 I was down in Staffordshire to see my father and uncle and Janet’s parents. On a sudden whim we decided to ask father if he would come back with us to Skye and spend some time. We booked very cheap (supposedly) flights from Derby East Midlands airport to Inverness for the three of us. When we turned up, the flight was just cancelled. The next flight would not be for two days and I presumed that there would be no chance of getting a seat on that one anyway because the entire plane-load of people would all be competing for it. I booked seats on a different airline from Manchester to Inverness instead. It turned out to be a cheap flight that was incredibly expensive, about six times more than originally envisaged. A hard lesson learned.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 09:12:24 AM »

I believe their CEO has boasted that his planes are full of people who “sworn that they will never fly Ryanair again”.   That utter disdain for their customers is one thing that keeps them on my blacklist.

I recently returned from a small European airport, with a.n.other low cost carrier.   The adjacent gate was Ryanair, with its impossible-looking cabin-bag size measuring device.  Not sure, but I think they charge for extra if you turn up with a normal cabin bag, as allowed by other airlines?    I felt so glad I wasn’t flying with them even though I’d had to pay more, and had to travel to a more distant UK airport, to avoid them.

I also associate them as being largely responsible for the race to the bottom, that has dragged all air travel down to the nightmare it is nowadays.   So I simply don’t want to give them my money.

But...   Bob, all that’s just my own biassed view, and not even as a customer as I have never used them.   Chances are you’ll come back with a glowing report.   Enjoy your anniversary.   :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 11:03:50 AM »

What 7LM said.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 12:26:42 PM »

I've used Ryanair half a dozen times and never had a problem.
Flights were all on time, quick and cheap as chips.

Great if you're only taking hand luggage.
Additional baggage put in the hold can be expensive.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/baggage/bag-policy

I've only had a issues flying on 2 occasions.
Both those occasions were with British Airways.
I would never fly with them again.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 01:22:43 PM »

When we flew in January both my wife and I had two pieces of hand luggage each as per our allowance,  they weren't even checked for size or weight. If you have priority boarding and only carry on baggage then there's no need to go near check in.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 02:04:52 PM »

Happy memories of the old BA Glasgow/Heathrow shuttle.  An hourly daytime service, and no need to go near a ticket desk let alone check in desk, you just walked on and sat down.   And if demand was too high no problem, they’d dig out another plane, and fly two aircraft instead of one. And you didn’t have to turn up hours in advance, iirc, 5-10 mins was fine.   Try getting the modern budget airlines to comprehend that level of service.   :no:

Try getting Iberia’s modern BA to understand it either, for that matter. :D

If you were really lucky with the old Shuttle service, and they needed a back up plane, that plane might be Concorde.  That did happen a few times, though never happened to me.   And pretty sure scheduled flight time used to be 50mins gate to gate, and nearly always bang on time.    Nowadays it’s about an hour twenty, I strongly suspect the extra half hour is there to make it easier to claim things arrive on time. 

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »

Happy memories of the old BA Glasgow/Heathrow shuttle.
I used to use the Edinburgh/Heathrow shuttle regularly and remember on one occasion on the return flight that one poor chap thought he was on his way to Glasgow (much to the glee of his fellow passengers)!  :lol: I could never understand how it happened as I seem to remember different coloured boarding cards for each destination?
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 10:35:37 AM »

I would never use them !.  >:D >:(

I booked a flight from EMA to Murcia (East Spain) about 4 years ago and booked the car hire for a week through them.

12hrs before the flight it was cancelled  >:D  >:(   Lucky it was someones private villa we were stopping in.

They did pay us the flight money back But it took another Year to get the car hire money back.

I have never flown with them and never ever want to fly with them.

I Use BA now.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.