Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Leaving BT for Sky - WiFi/Hardware Questions  (Read 1199 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Leaving BT for Sky - WiFi/Hardware Questions
« on: July 04, 2019, 08:09:48 AM »

Hi all, so here's some background info.

Up to 2017, I was with BT. Solid 67mb wired and wireless everywhere in the house.

In 2018, I left BT Fibre to go to Sky Fibre as it worked out over £10 cheaper per month. However, the Sky Q Hub performance was awful. 67mb wired, but around 25mb wifi, just stood in front of the hub. I tried everything. I even tried a WiFi access point with the hub, and still could only get 25mb wifi. Even streaming upstairs would buffer and stutter.

Sky let me leave and I came back to BT and the performance was back how it was.

2019, and Sky is now £12 a month cheaper, and other users don't seem to have a problem with the hub, so I'm wondering whether it was how I had set it up? Especially given that I attached an AP to the Q hub and couldn't get the top speed I get now.

My thoughts on current options are:

- Wait in the hope that Sky provide the new planned router to any new fibre customers very soon
- Get recommended a better AP to connect to the Q hub to give me the same performance that the BT hub gives me

A further option, is that I was thinking of buying a cheap Sky Q hub from eBay with the intention of connecting it to the BT hub, and making the Sky Q be the access point to test performance and see if I can get the Sky Q hub's wifi working how I want it before ordering the real deal. Is this possible?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Re: Leaving BT for Sky - WiFi/Hardware Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 06:01:21 PM »

The other avenue open to you that you have not mentioned is to dump either the Sky or BT supplied routers and buy your own.

Get yourself a cheapish router and disable the wifi and then get a mesh system for your house (depending on size). It will cost you some money but your decision is do you want to have reliable broadband and wifi or not?

Of course their latest hw offerings may have improved but they will always remain cheaply manufactured units.

I have never been with any of the large BB providers so have always bought my own HW. Currently have a TP Link W9970 acting as a modem with DHCP (wifi off), Kitz reviewed this unit and found it to be excellent apart from the wifi, and a Netgear R6120 dual band wifi wap. Both work a treat.

I'm on 40/10 fibre and the furthest laptop one floor down from my router and some 40 feet away on 5Ghz gets a steady 33M/bit
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 06:04:25 PM by risk_reversal »

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 06:12:27 PM »

Thank you, however I still want to be connected via the Sky Q hub really. Mainly for the connection stats via the Sky app.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »

Options could include:

a) If you're content with BT - apart from the price - try calling their customer options team and see if they will match/beat the Sky price?

b) If you're willing to beta test Digital Voice for BT, then they cover your costs while you are on the trial (if they are still recruiting) - see https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,23554.0.html for details

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »

Thanks. Yes they are options.

I have everything with Sky so would just prefer to be with them to be honest. It's just the Sky router I know I'll have issues with for WiFi.