Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Login Via PC into Internet, Via Bridged Ethernet Router/Modem  (Read 3886 times)

DEADLY-TDG-

As the title says, is it possible?, i know XP and Vista allow you to set up a connection and login, so their no need for a router. But does it work via ethernet?? i was abit confused by jabns post.

"Use the router. Routers sync at higher speeds than USB modems."

on my packet loss topic, found here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=2272.0

My setup:

NetGear DG834 (Bridged) > DGL-4100 (Used To Login To ISP) > PC.

I do have a PS3 connected to the router, and i do have the PC connected and running at the same time, but when i don't i'd like to skip the DGL 4100 and connect directly into the PC.

I could use the DG834 but i find it is slower, and adds an extra 1-2ms when it's in router mode.

So would it be possible to login with an Ethernet cable?, i thought it would be, but the above quote made me wonder...

If yes, how can i create a new connection to login without the Windows Wizard that guides you through the setup?

I have "lite" versions of XP and Vista, so most normal things don't work, i never used them.......... now i need em, lol.

Would their be any other way to do it?

Secondly, i was looking at the Draytek Vigor 110 ADSL Modem: http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor110.html

This is what i wanted it for mainly  "The DrayTek Vigor 110 is an ADSL modem with an Ethernet connection; it is not a router but a true ADSL Ethernet Modem. By providing a PPPoE to PPPoA bridge, the connected device (firewall, router or PC) can log into the Internet (your ISP) directly and have full control over the ADSL connection - that makes the Vigor 110 a unique product. You can connect any device to the Vigor 110 which has a PPPoE client facility, which includes PCs, most Ethernet-WAN routers and the Apple Airport™ but the actual connection to your ISP is still PPPoA (unlike other modems which only provide PPPoE native bridging), which is the unique feature of this product and makes it compatible with nearly all UK ISPS, where PPPoA is used as standard"

I'd like to have the option, since my DGL 4100 supports PPPoE only, so it would make it much easier for me if and when i used it. Since i could still be on PPPoA.

The problem? well there doesn't seem to be any instock, and seems pretty old. i was wondering wether there was any better modems out their that has the same capabilties, maybe a bit newer aswell.

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: Login Via PC into Internet, Via Bridged Ethernet Router/Modem
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »

As the title says, is it possible?, i know XP and Vista allow you to set up a connection and login, so their no need for a router. But does it work via ethernet?? i was abit confused by jabns post.

"Use the router. Routers sync at higher speeds than USB modems."

I think that what he was trying to say is that the throughput speeds achieved using an ethernet interface to a router, or a modem, is much faster than the USB interface.

What you are asking is possible.  You need to set up your MSWindows machine to act as a PPPoE client.  Your DG834 router in bridged mode will perform the ATM encapsulation, acting as the ADSL modem.  So, set up a new Internet Connection in your Windows Vista OS and select "Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE)" as the type for the Broadband connection.  Then enter your ISP's username and password (as you have them set in the DGL-4100) and you should be away.  You may need to try to connect a couple of times before your login onto your ISP's gateway, because the MSWindows PPPoE client is a tad quick to time out.

Would their be any other way to do it?

No.  You need a PPPoE client to be able to login into your ISP's gateway authentication server.  Whether you use your router, or your PC, the process is the same.

Secondly, i was looking at the Draytek Vigor 110 ADSL Modem: http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor110.html

This is not as unique as the website would have you believe.  From a functional perspective the Vigor 110 performs exactly like your DG834 router when set in bridged mode.  Some routers only work in half/bridged mode - which is not what you want/need - therefore Vigor's website makes it clear that their ADSL modem is a full bridge network device performing ATM encapsulation.

The problem? well there doesn't seem to be any instock, and seems pretty old. i was wondering wether there was any better modems out their that has the same capabilties, maybe a bit newer aswell.

If you think this is looking old, you should see the Vigor 100.   :P

As far as I know there is not much demand for ADSL modems these days and Vigor suppliers get them in on order.

Many routers in full bridge mode will do the job you want.  Guide your choice by the type of router/modem that gives you the highest/most stable connection with your BT exchange.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mick

DEADLY-TDG-

Re: Login Via PC into Internet, Via Bridged Ethernet Router/Modem
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:22:52 PM »

Thanks ;)

anything